I’m a bit late posting it, but: BSDNow 227 covers Open, Free, and Net this week.
Last of the year!
- iXSystems’ Best of 2017. Some useful links, like the Community Hardware Recommendations guide.
- If you want to create a BSD-based Vagrant BSD system, Rickard von Essen has Packer templates for all the BSDs – including DragonFly. (via)
- More TS-440S hijinx, or “ok, what if you wanna homebrew a digital hookup?”
- “Cyan Beastie on my laptop :)”
- Looking for a BSD snapshot tool for live boot
- How to choose your *BSD OS to begin with? (via)
- What BSD do you all use for your desktop computer?
- NetBSD 7.1.1 released.
- FreeBSD Q32017 Status report.
- StorageCrypter Ransomware: Security Threat or Clickbait? BSD vendor, linked to for the Shodan report on all the places people are running Samba, Internet-exposed.
- Eleven syscalls that suck. Linux syscalls, of course. Eleven syscalls that rock the world seems to mention the BSDs. Hmm. (via)
- You may be able to catch the last 34c3 livestreams today, or watch recordings – there are some BSD-specific talks there. (via)
The Semibug Christmas dinner is tomorrow. They need reservations, so if you want to go and haven’t told anyone yet – hurry!
Last minute, as always!
- The anatomy of tee program on OpenBSD. (via)
- Leaving Amazon AWS. (via, I think)
- FreeBSD Port-Knocking.
- s2k17 Hackathon Report: Stefan Sperling (stsp@) on wireless (iwm(4), athn(4) and more) progress.
- DiscoverBSD for 2017/12/03.
- Cross-BSD pollination. (DragonFly->OpenBSD, via)
- FreeBSD 11.0 is end-of-lifed.
- OPNsense 17.7.9 released.
- BSDCan 2018 Call for Papers is out. (via)
- DTrace & ZFS Being Updated On NetBSD. (via)
- NetBSD desktop for newbies. (via)
- What sort of fun projects are you guys working on using Dragonfly?
- pledge() work in progress.
- arm64 platform now officially supported [and has syspatch(8)].
- “SSH Mastery” 2nd ed tech reviewers wanted.
BSDNow 223 covers a wide range: debuggers, Rust, Docker, EuroBSDCon 2017, pine64, and some network tools for FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
- “Permissive licensing is wrong!” – Is it? (1/2)
- Reflections on Hackathons.
- Cheap temp and humidity sensors. Probably BSD-compatible, given the list.
- OpenBSD Router Boilerplate. (via)
- Suggestions on High-end Laptop for dual-booting with BSD/Windows.
- The LLVM Thread Sanitizer has been ported to NetBSD.
- Linux user picking a BSD for Personal Computer.
- DiscoverBSD for 2017/11/27.
- Two-factor authentication SSH with Duo in FreeBSD 11 (7:23)
One month to Christmas!
- Anyone with ARM laptop experience?
- Hitler Quote Controversy In the BSD Community. I haven’t noticed anything.
- Semibug Christmas dinner: 19 December 2017.
- Official OpenBSD 6.2 CD set – the only one to be made!
- p2k17 Hackathon report: Antoine Jacoutot on ports+packages progress.
- Lumina 1.4.0 released.
- DiscoverBSD for 2017/11/20.
- Any interest in a continuous integration service with BSD build boxes?
- The strongest KASLR, ever?
- UNIX kernel system calls.
- This is how you can port your rust application to FreeBSD. (via)
- OPNsense 17.7.7 released, OPNsense 17.7.8 released, and OPNSense vs. Netgate.
- Converting a Dell R710 into a ZFS-based FreeBSD 11.1 tape library bacula-sd followed by R710 – getting the drives ready.
- FreeBSD/RISC-V and Device Drivers. PDF. (via)
- OpenBSD ELF Auxiliary Vector Information Leak. (via)
- More p2k17 Hackathon: Anthony J. Bentley on firmware, games and securing pkg_add runs, Sebastian Reitenbach on Puppet,
Landry Breuil on Mozilla things,Florian Obser on network stack progress, kernel relinking.
- Hyper V VLAN tag on pfSense?
- OpenBSD on G4 Cube. (via)
- FreeNAS ISCSI Luns & VMware; restricting lun visibility?
- FreeNAS vs. Server 2016 vs. unRaid?
- How’s the [Nvidia] driver support compared to Linux?
- Why are supercomputers all running Linux and not BSD?
- VMWare + FreeNAS, Encryption.
- OS X:Anyone using Xfce or other DE in place of Aqua?
- Switching from 1Password to Bitwarden.
- BSDTW ’17 Conference Recap.
- Moving Freshports.
- FreeBSD/EC2 on C5 instances.
A good variety this week.
- Building software with Ravenports.
- “SSH Mastery, 2nd Ed” News, Sponsorships, and Cover.
- LISA 2017 Conference Recap.
- LibreSSL 2.6.3 released. (via)
- First Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition preorders available.
- GhostBSD 11.1 RC1 is ready! (via)
- p2k17 Hackathon reports: 1 2 3 4 5.
- Why did we build our solution on top of FreeBSD?
- Nearly Online Zpool Switching Between Two FreeBSD Machines.
- Upcoming SemiBUG workshop suggestion.
- Open source Visio-ish network diagramming. (From a BSD list, so I’m linking it here.)
- pfSense – Cisco Aironet AP’s (only 1 works, all identical).
- NAT through pfSense question.
- Ilja van Sprundel – Are all BSDs are created equally? Video, unfortunately picking “winners”. (via)
- 4.2BSD on SIMH vax with networking. (via)
- NetBSD on Allwinner SoCs Update. (via)
This was an easy week for finding links.
- API provisioning for BCHS web apps. Looks like there’s a new near-monthly article about using BCHS near-monthly, which I did not know. For example: kwebapp. (via)
- Next planned NYCBUG meeting: January 3rd.
- FOSDEM 2018 will have a BSD Devroom; the call for papers is out now – due the 26th.
- os-test. Lots of BSD results. (via)
- Windows 10, VirtualBox 5.2.0 w/ FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT Guest.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Report.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Recap.
- PFSense for PCI compliant network?
- Two-factor authentication for SSH on FreeBSD 11 – Part 1 – SSH Key+Account Password. (via)
- How to use bta2dpd(8) with Bluetooth headphone under NetBSD-current. (via)
- ZFS Feature Flags.
This week’s BSDNow talks about the Krack Attack, new releases for a number of BSDs, recent conventions, and really just everything.
For once, I was able to work ahead and get this done early!
- Using the Linux find command with caution. It says “Linux” but most platforms have find(1).
- What are BSD’s nonfree firmware blobs?
- Linux to bsd.
- Are BSD binaries portable across the different BSD flavors?
- What’s the current state of optimus support for the BSDs?
- (Video) FreeBSD 11.1 – Configuring And Installing A Custom Kernel
- Playing with the pine64. (via)
- FreeBSD/EC2: Community vs. Marketplace AMIs.
- pfSense as Edge firewall/router with DMZ, Sophos SG UTM as internal firewall/router.
- Kernel ASLR support in NetBSD. (via)
- The BSDCan 2018 site is up.
- OPNsense 17.7.6 released.
- OpenBSD gives a hint on forgetting unlock mutex. (via)
- Issues the BSD license does not have.
This week’s BSDNow has David Carlier of Afilias interviewed, plus a EuroBSDCon travel report and more.
All at the last minute, this.
- rcmds removed from FreeBSD. (Thanks, Jeremie)
- Michael W. Lucas will be presenting on Tarsnap at the next SemiBUG meeting – the 17th.
- There may be a OpenBSD porting workshop with NYCBUG in early December.
- The anatomy of ldd program on OpenBSD.
- How to create BSD bootable USB Stick ?
- EuroBSDcon 2017: “travel notes” after the conference. (via)
- pfSense 2.4.0-RELEASE Now Available! (comments)
- OpenBSD 6.2 released.
- openbsd changes of note 629.
- FreeBSD and APRS, or “hm what happens when none of this is well documented..”
- I’m thinking about OpenBSD again. (via)
- Transition to Zstandard-compressed packages has begun.
BSDNow 213 talks about the just-finished EuroBSDCon, and vBSDCon and other things. The episode 213 web page links to Youtube videos of all the talks, so there’s your evening schedule, filled.
Thank goodness for overflow from last week, because I haven’t had time to read.
- OpenBSD Daily Recap.
- pfsense vs opnsense vs monowall vs smoothwall vs ?
- *nix distros with default shells? Not actually sure what the author’s goal is.
- X11 forwarding vs. Virtual Machine.
- Lscpu for OpenBSD/FreeBSD. (via)
- AMD RX 480 Support?
- [NetBSD] buildbot in the binutils-gdb project. (via)
- vBSDcon 2017: BSD at Work.
- pkgsrc is in freeze for 2017Q3.
- NYCBUG is having a Tor installfest on October 4th.
- Simulation resources, from the August SemiBUG.
- Another BSD, but not for computing: the “Federal Association of Sex Services (BSD)” – read article through.
BSDNow episode 212 is out and I’m going to link it especially because I’ve been at work instead of posting like normal. Not surprisingly, it talks about the demise of Solaris and about vBSDCon and (links to videos from) BSDCan.
Not sure why, but there’s been a lot of BSD news the past few weeks. I am OK with that.
Late addition: NetBSD’s New York build cluster will be offline beginning Monday for about two weeks, which means no daily NetBSD or pkgsrc builds.
- FreeBSD package management with Pkg (2/2).
- [Semibug] next meeting: BSD accessibility.
- I3 instances and NVMe: booya! Or how you can build FreeBSD from the source in under 11 minutes vs. 12+ hours on a desktop. Is there something like ‘quickworld’ on FreeBSD? (via)
- iXsystems, Inc. is offering jobs to Sun/Oracle Refugees. (via)
- BSD building/testing machines? (via)
- Solaris to Linux Migration 2017. Some BSD mentions in there. (via)
- openbsd changes of note 628.
- Forward syslogs to a central server using TLS (OpenBSD). (via)
- A return-oriented programming defense from OpenBSD. (via)
- OPNsense 17.7.2 released.
- vBSDCon 2017 Conference Reflection.
- Screencasting with OpenBSD. (via)
- t2k17 Hackathon report: Ken Westerback on dhclient progress, developer herding.