There’s been a number of updates to dsynth(1), the DragonFly package-building tool. This won’t matter much unless you like building the entire ports collection at once, but it is interesting to see how resource-intensive chromium building can be.
No mini-theme this week.
- Cracking the Adventure Time Cipher. (via)
- The Tildeverse Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup server is fixed. There’s a tilde DCSS server?
- I Have No TV. Gobs of documentaries. (via)
- Concert Roulette. (also via)
- Building WireGate: A WireGuard front to detect compromised keys. (via)
- T700 Crowdfunding. More Thinkpad life extension. (via)
- Tiny Emus. (via)
- 50 Years of Text Games: 2013: A Family Supper and 2014: 80 Days.
- Homebrew Game Characteristics.
- Plain Text Project Tools Roundup November 17, 2021.
- One of these JPEGs is not like the other.
- Pirijan Uses This. A different style UT answer than I’ve seen before.
- Trackers: The Sound of 16-Bit. (video, via)
- Cambridge, another falling-blocks game. Check the Other Notable Games links at the end. (via)
Relatively quiet this week for BSD items, but it’s a holiday week in the US.
- Valuable News – 2021/11/22.
- Project Report: Add support for chdir(2) support in posix_spawn(3).
- Why V7 Unix matters so much.
- Wired XBox 360 Controller minor issue.
- Torn between getting a used thinkpad vs a new Chromebook.
- OpenZFS 3.0 Introduced at Developer Summit.
- OctoPkg: A Great GUI Package Manager In FreeBSD. (via)
- How to Access Your Modem’s Web Interface with OPNsense. (via)
- Where in the Stack?
- OpenBSD on the VIA Eden X2 powered HP t510 Thin Client.
Linked here cause maybe it’ll help someone else with synproxy and pf in DragonFly: synproxy state doesn’t work in Packet Filter.
This is a good mix this week.
- Can Data Die? Tracking the Lenna Image. I’ve linked to other stories about this image before. (lost the source link, sorry)
- A Close Look at a Spinlock.
- The Monstrosity Email Has Become. (via)
- FURBY MODULE – A Synthesizer Module That Houses A Furby. The synth itself is worth a look. (via)
- The inside story of the outside investigation of SoftRAM 95.
- Oh, great, there’s a year 2028 problem too. (via)
- The history of writing in 1.5 hours.
- Upstairs, Downstairs: d20 Power Relations.
- Faces of Open Source. Doug McIlroy looks like Otto Mentalis from Psychonauts 2. Coincidence? (via)
- Fermentabot 1.0 and a data-collecting version.
- New Brothers Quay film on the way. (via)
- Tindie, a maker market site. Interesting niche products. Found via this story.
Some history, some games.
- tmpfs-13, an experimental hellosystem build.
- Latest iortcw [Return to Castle: Wolfenstein] on OpenBSD.
- What every IT person needs to know about OpenBSD Part 3: That packet filter. (via)
- FreeBSD Quarterly Report, 2021Q3.
- Installing and Operating 4.3BSD-tahoe UNIX on the VAX (1988). (via)
- FreeBSD/Ubuntu Dual-boot testbed using Desktop Hardware. (via)
- GhostBSD online meetup, December 11.
- Call For Testing: Removing and hardening sensitive files.
- Valuable News – 2021/11/15.
- Demystifying OpenZFS 2.0. BSD-oriented.
- OpenBSD and Linux comparison: data transfer benchmark. Interesting results… Excessive ACKing?
Advanced ZFS Snapshots
has a literal headline, plus other straightforward articles. No puns, darnit.
SEMIBUG’s meeting is tonight, online, with Deb Goodkin of the FreeBSD Foundation presenting.
No minitheme this week.
- userland: a book about the command line for humans. Indirectly, a description of how flexible a shell really is. (via)
- More x220 hacking. It is of course less useful over time. (both via)
- Modifying my Gaggia Classic Espresso machine. Simple upgrades help too. (via)
- 50 Years of Text Games: 2012: Howling Dogs. Porpentine!
- Companies and their stewardship of open source projects.
- Your SMART drive database of attribute meanings needs regular updates.
- Kino Cult. Good films and BADFILMS. (via)
- AI Weirdness, oddball AI results. (via, via)
- Floppy emulators. More used than you may realize. (via)
- Software Folklore. I’ve linked to some of these stories before. (via)
- Obsessive keyboard building. Sorry, it’s a Twitter thread. (via)
- Forgotten Image Formats.
Note the upcoming SEMIBUG meeting. I’ll post a reminder.
- Jenkins with FreeBSD Agents in EC2. (via)
- Manage Kubernetes Cluster from FreeBSD with kubectl. (via)
- What if Internet stops? How to rebuild an offline federated infrastructure using OpenBSD.
- OpenBSD on Raspberry Pi 4 with Full-Disk Encryption. (via)
- SEMIBUG is meeting November 16th, with a presentation from Deb Goodkin, head of the FreeBSD Foundation. It’s online.
- How I ended liking GNOME. Also, using X with the loss of one hand.
- Valuable News – 2021/11/08.
- UNIX Mouse Shootout.
- 0ad several versions behind, cant play online because of this. Linking so I remember to play it.
- FreeBSD Documentation: Papers We Love To Read.
- depotdownloader issues.
- FreeBSD 12.3RC1 is out.
- OPNsense 21.7.5 released.
- OpenBSD Webzine #4.
These are extended so HAM-BUG may still be meeting when you read this.
ChiBUG is meeting tonight at 6PM at Giordano’s. Go if you are near Chicago.
The amdgpu driver, equivalent to Linux 4.19, has been committed along with supporting changes in ttm. Credit goes to Sergey Zigachev, Francois Tigeot, and Matthew Dillon for the work. The module is now built by default in bleeding edge DragonFly. Note the amdgpu commit message lists some options that need to be set.
I need a D&D tag.
- The World of Outdoor Survival. A reconstruction of the original D&D environment. (via)
- Speaking of the original D&D… (via)
- How X Window Managers Work, And How To Write One (Part I). (via)
- Anatomy of a Terminal Emulator. (via)
- ClockWork DevTerm. For portable Dwarf Fortress. (via)
- PowerPC notebook Prototypes Updates and next Talks – October 2021. (via)
- Cosmic Conquest (1982) – A resurrection of a realtime strategy game written in Forth. (via)
- How brutalist design is taking over the internet. (via)
- Better Perl: Four list processing best practices with map, grep, and more. (via)
- I am ambivalent about this joke/keyboard. (via)
- TinkerDifferent. (via)
I’ve been on the road but had travel time just sitting there, so I was able to construct this a bit more calmly for once.
- ChiBUG is meeting in-person this Tuesday in the usual place.
- xterm(1) mouse support disabled by default in OpenBSD.
- How to connect and use Bluetooth headphones on FreeBSD. (via)
- Monitoring FreeBSD jails from the host.
- Valuable News – 2021/11/01.
- Looking Towards the Future: FreeBSD on the RISC-V Architecture.
- HardenedBSD October 2021 Status Report.
- Full WireGuard setup with OpenBSD.
- OPNsense® 21.7.4 released.
- Port of the week: foliate.
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent, amd64 package now available on OpenBSD -current.
- Catchup 2021-11-03 on Undeadly.