Dragged right out of my RSS feeds.
Accidental theme of video links, which I would not have expected for a BSD summary.
It was an abnormally quiet week – probably because of the Christmas holiday, or maybe because I cleared my BSD link backlog last week.
I managed to miss the Thursday update to BSDNow (#329) – Michael W. Lucas is interviewed mostly about his
unnatural love of gelato BSD books , and he’s always an entertaining talker.
Some commercial stuff this week, even.
All over the map this week.
Watch for post-BSDCan slides and material and ideas to show up in the next few weeks.
I’m still not making through all the stuff I need to link to, but this is enough to keep you busy for today.
Straight open tab dump, again!
A late update: BSDCan 2019 registration, plus an update.
This is all backlogged links; I have even more tabs open.
Inadvertent theme: release news.
- Our Software Dependency Problem. Hard thinking about something many, many people don’t think hard enough about. This talks about software, but it’s directly analogous to ports/dports/pkgsrc. I’m leading with this even though it’s not directly about BSD, cause it affects anyone using a packaging system.
- I mentioned it before, but FOSDEM 2019, happening right now in Brussels, has a BSD Devroom with a lot of things happening in it; you could spend your entire Saturday in there.
- And something that has me quite excited: The Pinebook Pro, among other hardware announcements for FOSDEM. BSD is being mentioned right there as something to install on it, rather than as an aftermarket hack like with Chromebooks – heartwarming, I tell you. (via)
- Unix flowers. Look for birthtoken while you are at it. (via)
- FreeNAS has Plugins? A casual look at it seems to push some features into pfSense territory.
- Next NYC*BUG: 2/6.
- OPNsense 19.1-RC1 released. Wait, 19.1 is out.
- join-ing any open wifi network is now possible.
- FreeBSD Training @ SCaLE 17x (March 8, 2019) (via)
- NetBSD Virtual Machine Monitor. (via)
- ClonOS 19.01-RELEASE (first public release). (via)
- Valuable News – 2019/01/18 and Valuable News – 2019/01/25 and Valuable News – 2019/02/01.
- HardenedBSD 2018Q4 Status Report. (via)
- Florian Obser on unwind(8).
- MightnightBSD Roadmap.
- SoloBSD 19.01-STABLE.
- fnaify 1.2 released.
- At The Gates, 4x strategy game running on BSD. (via)
Still lots of BSD stuff happening.
Still playing catchup with links.
Lots of NetBSD links this week relative to usual.
Update: how did I miss this? PkgSrcCon 2018 is happening now in Berlin, and there’s a livestream. (via)
BSDNow 249 is covering a really wide range of topics including an uncommon amount of NetBSD, so I’m going to do the easy thing and repeat the summary: “OpenZFS and DTrace updates in NetBSD, NetBSD network security stack audit, Performance of MySQL on ZFS, OpenSMTP results from p2k18, legacy Windows backup to FreeNAS, ZFS block size importance, and NetBSD as router on a stick.”
Totally last-minute summary, but I’m hitting every BSD category.
Another across-the-BSDs week.
Last minute, because for some reason I didn’t see much BSD stuff until Friday night.