Way short this week because we had high winds in my area, knocking out power for most people. I didn’t lose power, but I lost my data link.
Reminder: the 2017 FreeBSD Storage Summit is tomorrow.
Lots of storage this week.
- OpenBSD as a Multimedia Desktop
- Firefox 51 on sparc64 – we did not hit the wall yet (via)
- Current health of the BSD Certification Group?
- When did tar start auto-assuming -z? Mild GNU vs. BSD argument.
- Introducing pkg_comp 2.0 (and sandboxctl 1.0)
- FreeNAS/OpenZFS training.
- Michael W. Lucas at the Troy Public Library. Talking about his nonfiction writing.
- 2017 FreeBSD Storage Summit, coming up in 9 days. I’ll post a reminder. (via)
- Related: TrueNAS does S3.
- FreeBSD 12 Looking At Dropping SVR4 Binary Compatibility. Would anyone notice? (via)
- Choose as a contributor: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, or other BSD
- Using device.hints to wire physical devices to specific names.
Done all at the last minute.
- Courses 6 to 9 of DevOps with Chef and FreeBSD are out.
- Ansible and pfSense. (via)
- “OS : The underlying overhead of computation“, an upcoming talk at NYCBSD. Note that it’s on Feb 1, not March 1 as originally posted. I’ll post a reminder.
- a2k17 hackathon reports: Martin Pieuchot, Kenneth Westerback, Bob Beck.
- “Noob user – want to install a UNIX OS. Help a bit?“
- Michael W. Lucas will be talking at Kansas LinuxFest 2017 – in May.
- NetBSD Making Progress On LLDB Debugger Support (via)
- “I want to jump in, but would love some hardware advice.“
- OPNsense 16.7.14 released – last in the 16.* series, I think.
- TrueNAS now has a (BSD) Cinder driver for OpenStack.
- IPv6 on FreeBSD/EC2.
- Improving TrueOS: OpenRC. (via)
- “Where is your tech passion?” If you never complete the exercise, that tells you something too.
Much better this week; I actually have links.
- Man, ‘splained: 40-Plus Years of Man Page History. Doesn’t mention it, but BSD is the place for original, and good, man pages. (via)
- “What’s stopping someone from writing a Cisco CLI shell for Linux or BSD?“
- who even calls link_ntoa? Multiple BSDs had this issue.
- Booting Android-x86 under FreeBSD bhyve (Work in progress) (via)
- New stable version: HardenedBSD-stable 10-STABLE v46.18 (via)
- “TIL the soviets made their own BSD” (via)
- “Which BSD is good for me?“
- OPNsense 16.7.11 released, OPNsense 17.1-BETA
- LibreSSL documentation status report
- watt time is left
- openbsd changes of note 3
- Disk I/O Performance Under Filesystem Journaling on FreeBSD 10.3
- LISA 2016 Recap. From a BSD vendor point of view.
- OpenBSD 6.0 VPN Endpoint for iOS and OSX (via)
- 802.11n MIMO support in OpenBSD -current (via)
Oddball links for BSD this week – but pay attention to the first one.
- Get a BSD person into ARIN. Useful.
- “Any experience with OPNsense?“
- Unknown Horizons: An open-source 2D realtime strategy game. Linked cause it exists as a FreeBSD port and in theory could as a dport.
- We Surprised The Register.
- Looking for a very part-time SysAdmin.
- “Adam Jimerson: Introduction to PacBSD” happening at KnoxBUG on the 25th.
- PCEngines APU question.
- Installing Windows 10 Under the bhyve Hypervisor. (via)
- Lumina Desktop 1.1.0 released.