Multiple links from one source is the mini-theme this week.
Some opinion, some documentation.
I linked to a story about Xenix, which might be a step too far.
I’ll post reminders day-of for the BUG meetings.
There’s a lot to catch up on!
I have a link backlog, yay!
Hardware-heavy this week, sorta.
Straight dump of my BSD RSS feed.
Accidental theme of video links, which I would not have expected for a BSD summary.
I have cleared out my backlog of general BSD stuff but am still a month behind on DragonFly news, which is the opposite of usual.
Heading towards spring, and I have weekend work, so pasting in everything I’ve got handy:
Built entirely from open tabs.
Inadvertent theme: release news.
- Our Software Dependency Problem. Hard thinking about something many, many people don’t think hard enough about. This talks about software, but it’s directly analogous to ports/dports/pkgsrc. I’m leading with this even though it’s not directly about BSD, cause it affects anyone using a packaging system.
- I mentioned it before, but FOSDEM 2019, happening right now in Brussels, has a BSD Devroom with a lot of things happening in it; you could spend your entire Saturday in there.
- And something that has me quite excited: The Pinebook Pro, among other hardware announcements for FOSDEM. BSD is being mentioned right there as something to install on it, rather than as an aftermarket hack like with Chromebooks – heartwarming, I tell you. (via)
- Unix flowers. Look for birthtoken while you are at it. (via)
- FreeNAS has Plugins? A casual look at it seems to push some features into pfSense territory.
- Next NYC*BUG: 2/6.
- OPNsense 19.1-RC1 released. Wait, 19.1 is out.
- join-ing any open wifi network is now possible.
- FreeBSD Training @ SCaLE 17x (March 8, 2019) (via)
- NetBSD Virtual Machine Monitor. (via)
- ClonOS 19.01-RELEASE (first public release). (via)
- Valuable News – 2019/01/18 and Valuable News – 2019/01/25 and Valuable News – 2019/02/01.
- HardenedBSD 2018Q4 Status Report. (via)
- Florian Obser on unwind(8).
- MightnightBSD Roadmap.
- SoloBSD 19.01-STABLE.
- fnaify 1.2 released.
- At The Gates, 4x strategy game running on BSD. (via)
There’s some convention stuff scattered in here; we’re heading towards the active season…
Still lots of BSD stuff happening.
Still playing catchup with links.
Lots of event notices in here… Watch for what’s near you.
- The next KnoxBUG meeting is September 5th, with a Trident demo. I’ll post a reminder.
- OpenBSD.Amsterdam. Dedicated OpenBSD/vmd servers, which is a neat idea. Could probably do the same thing with vkernels.
- MeetBSD is happening October 19-20 in Santa Clara, CA. (via)
- Configuring OpenBSD – System and user config files for a more pleasant laptop. Not all of it is OpenBSD-specific. (via)
- Happy Bob’s Libtls tutorial. Also not wholly OpenBSD-specific; more libressl-specific. (via)
- AsiaBSDCon 2019 is happening March 21-24, Tokyo, Japan. (via)
- Ravenports now on gcc 8.2.
- Recent freebsd-jobs posts.
- [talk] ARM – any Tier-1 *BSD options? Nice support work from Netgate.
- libfuzzer, parts 1, 2, and 3 – a Summer of Code project for NetBSD. I linked the first one before, but hadn’t followed up until now. (via)
- OpenBSD, SpamPD and the Startup Bug. (also via)
- Public Access Multics. I am happy just typing that sentence.