Accidental theme of video links, which I would not have expected for a BSD summary.
I have cleared out my backlog of general BSD stuff but am still a month behind on DragonFly news, which is the opposite of usual.
Heading towards spring, and I have weekend work, so pasting in everything I’ve got handy:
Built entirely from open tabs.
Inadvertent theme: release news.
- Our Software Dependency Problem. Hard thinking about something many, many people don’t think hard enough about. This talks about software, but it’s directly analogous to ports/dports/pkgsrc. I’m leading with this even though it’s not directly about BSD, cause it affects anyone using a packaging system.
- I mentioned it before, but FOSDEM 2019, happening right now in Brussels, has a BSD Devroom with a lot of things happening in it; you could spend your entire Saturday in there.
- And something that has me quite excited: The Pinebook Pro, among other hardware announcements for FOSDEM. BSD is being mentioned right there as something to install on it, rather than as an aftermarket hack like with Chromebooks – heartwarming, I tell you. (via)
- Unix flowers. Look for birthtoken while you are at it. (via)
- FreeNAS has Plugins? A casual look at it seems to push some features into pfSense territory.
- Next NYC*BUG: 2/6.
- OPNsense 19.1-RC1 released. Wait, 19.1 is out.
- join-ing any open wifi network is now possible.
- FreeBSD Training @ SCaLE 17x (March 8, 2019) (via)
- NetBSD Virtual Machine Monitor. (via)
- ClonOS 19.01-RELEASE (first public release). (via)
- Valuable News – 2019/01/18 and Valuable News – 2019/01/25 and Valuable News – 2019/02/01.
- HardenedBSD 2018Q4 Status Report. (via)
- Florian Obser on unwind(8).
- MightnightBSD Roadmap.
- SoloBSD 19.01-STABLE.
- fnaify 1.2 released.
- At The Gates, 4x strategy game running on BSD. (via)
There’s some convention stuff scattered in here; we’re heading towards the active season…
Still lots of BSD stuff happening.
Still playing catchup with links.
Lots of event notices in here… Watch for what’s near you.
- The next KnoxBUG meeting is September 5th, with a Trident demo. I’ll post a reminder.
- OpenBSD.Amsterdam. Dedicated OpenBSD/vmd servers, which is a neat idea. Could probably do the same thing with vkernels.
- MeetBSD is happening October 19-20 in Santa Clara, CA. (via)
- Configuring OpenBSD – System and user config files for a more pleasant laptop. Not all of it is OpenBSD-specific. (via)
- Happy Bob’s Libtls tutorial. Also not wholly OpenBSD-specific; more libressl-specific. (via)
- AsiaBSDCon 2019 is happening March 21-24, Tokyo, Japan. (via)
- Ravenports now on gcc 8.2.
- Recent freebsd-jobs posts.
- [talk] ARM – any Tier-1 *BSD options? Nice support work from Netgate.
- libfuzzer, parts 1, 2, and 3 – a Summer of Code project for NetBSD. I linked the first one before, but hadn’t followed up until now. (via)
- OpenBSD, SpamPD and the Startup Bug. (also via)
- Public Access Multics. I am happy just typing that sentence.
Overflow from two weeks running, cause of travel.
Some of this is overflow from last week.
BSDCan is running this weekend. There is, depending on what time you are reading this, a livestream.
Losing power at home this week put a dent in my reading throughput, so to speak, but this will do.
The first news item about pfSense is not necessarily new, but new to me.
Done last minute on Friday, mostly.