It rhymes if you say it out loud. Jason Tubnor will present at 7 PM tonight (Detroit local time) on installing and configuring Xfce and KDE on FreeBSD.
“BSD” is in almost every line as a title. Maybe not a surprise, but visually noticeable.
- Paying a visit to planet BSD. (via)
- Branching for NetBSD 10. (via)
- Brainstorming Entropy for NetBSD. (via)
- How to talk to a local IPMI under OpenBSD.
- compiling an openbsd kernel 50% faster.
- New FreeBSD How-To: Networking Basics: WiFi and Bluetooth.
- where’s all the code?
- May 17th 7 PM Detroit, MI time, Jason Tubnor will present on installing and configuring Xfce and KDE on FreeBSD.
- May 21: NetBSD Annual General Meeting. That’s 1 week from now.
- FreeBSD 13.1-RC6 available.
- Valuable News – 2022/05/10.
- How to contribute to the OpenBSD project.
- VM (VM ( … This is weird/dangerous.
I can’t help but think of this as the 1# episode of BSD Now; tell me if you get why. Anyway, there’s lots of OpenBSD in this week’s BSD Now.
My BSD RSS feeds are overflowing.
- PiKVM using a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W. I keep reading that as “pikmin”.
- switchd(8) removed from OpenBSD.
- OpenBSD 7.1: fan noise and high temperature solution.
- vuls – Agent-less vulnerability scanner. (via)
- FreeBSD 13.1-RC5 available.
- HardenedBSD April 2022 Status Report.
- Missing Steam Deck Functions. (Terraria, OpenBSD, Steam)
- Minecraft 1.16.5(and more) with microsoft accounts on openbsd 7.1.
- Video guide to install OpenBSD 7.1 with the GNOME desktop.
- Writing my first OpenBSD game using Godot.
- Valuable News – 2022/05/02.
- syspatch71-001_wifi reissued. “May require manual intervention”
- Let’s Talk About [FreeBSD] Foundation Funding.
- I ported the new Hare compiler to OpenBSD.
This week’s BSD Now, which I almost missed, covered one of the rarely-mentioned BSD Variants, TwinCat.
How-to week rather than updates week.
- Let’s install OpenBSD/riscv64 on QEMU. (via)
- How to talk to a local IPMI under OpenBSD.
- iblock: block scanner TCP connections under OpenBSD. (via)
- I was able to build Overgrowth on NetBSD.
- KDE-FreeBSD CI.
- LibreSSL 3.5.2 released.
- Valuable News – 2022/04/25.
- OpenBSD is the Perfect OS post Nuclear Apocalypse. (via)
- Playing the game Bottomless on OpenBSD. (via)
- I ported the new Hare compiler to OpenBSD. (via)
- New Board Member Interview: Cat Allman. The last name should seem familiar.
- Building Your Own FreeBSD-based NAS with ZFS: Part 2: Tuning Your FreeBSD Configuration for Your NAS.
RSVP if you are near Chicago and can go.
A bunch of releases this week.
- OpenBGPD 7.3 released.
- tcsh vi mode cursor shapes.
- sometimes the knote comes early.
- The Zephyrus G14 is not a MacBook Pro 14, and Sundry Observations and Insights…
- two and a half bad bits.
- OpenBSD Gaming Updates Q2 2022.
- Operating systems battle: OpenBSD vs NixOS.
- Valuable News – 2022/04/19.
- MidnightBSD 2.1.7 RELEASE. (via)
- FreeBSD 13.1-RC4 is out.
- OpenBSD 7.1 released.
- OpenBSD Webzine #9 is out.
- Interacting with FreeBSD: Fundamentals of the FreeBSD Shell. FreeBSD 14 is switching default root shell, apparently.
It’s almost all ZFS tidbits this week for BSD Now.
I’m on at SEMIBUG’s meeting right now.
I hope to have a recording to post later. Nnnnope! A lesson for you and me both; test recording before an actual event starts.
Note the upcoming presentations…
- Nixers #138.
- Writing a device driver for Unix V6. (via)
- ChiBUG’s meeting April 29th in person. RSVP if you are coming.
- SEMIBUG’s meeting April 19th online, and I’m the guest speaker.
- Valuable News – 2022/04/11.
- Penguicon 2022 Schedule and Books. Michael W. Lucas isn’t presenting on BSD but he’ll have some BSD-related books. Please buy Savaged by systemd from him. I just saw it in audiobook form through Google search and no I will not click on it.
- OpenSSH 9.0 released.
- switch to current or wait for 7.1? Really, a Minecraft question.
- Fundraising Update Q1 2022.
- FreeBSD 13.1 on ThinkPad W520.
- Q1 2022 Software Development Projects Update.
- Improving Replication Security With OpenZFS Delegation.
- OpenBSD 7.0 video overview.
This week’s BSD Now, which I remembered to link to on time, is about Unix tools as a concept.
Last news item is the saddest.
- Does swap still matter? I linked to an earlier iteration of the thread but there’s more.
- System with a GNU userland and a BSD kernel.
- FreeBSD 13.1-RC2 is out.
- Making my pkg.conf configuration version independent.
- Valuable News – 2022/04/04.
- helloSystem 13.1-RC1.
- Multiprocess support for LLDB.
- Building Your Own FreeBSD-based NAS. Part 1 of 4.
- Writing a NetBSD kernel module. (via)
- TwinCAT/BSD Hypervisor. (via)
- Bill Jolitz has passed away. (via)
Mini-ZFS theme this week.
- OpenBSD Webzine #8.
- Heap Overflow in OpenBSD’s slaacd via Router Advertisement. (via several places)
- pkgsrc-2022Q1 is out.
- Nixxers is back!
- Need Help installing favorite game Trek73. Followup.
- Does swap still matter? A long thread.
- Toolchains adventures – Q1 2022.
- ZFS Compatibility.
- Should I Upgrade to OpenZFS 2.1?
- Tuning Recordsize in OpenZFS.
- Meet my two heroes from Unix world: Marshal Kirk and Eric Allman! (via)
- FreeBSD/EC2: What I’ve been up to.
- Valuable News – 2022/03/21 and 2022/03/28.
- Keep your OpenBSD system cool with obsdfreqd.
- Add support for XBox One gamecontroller.
- HardenedBSD March 2022 Status Report.
- paprok gets CDE running on NetBSD. Chunky chunky.
Note the new-to-me book news in there.
- The NetBSD Foundation is a mentoring organization at Google Summer of Code 2022.
- FreeBSD 13.1 beta2 is out.
- Controlling Resource Limits with rctl in FreeBSD.
- OpenBSD/arm64 on Apple M1 systems.
- Testing parallel forwarding.
- NetBSD is in Google Summer of Code 2022.
- LibreSSL 3.5.1 development branch as well as 3.4.3 (stable) and 3.3.6 released.
iwx(4)gains 11ac 80MHz channel support.
- Yet Another New Book: “Letters to ed(1)”. From the FreeBSD Journal Letters Column.
- New Sponsorships Open, and More Crowdfunding. For OpenBSD Mastery: Filesystems. There’s some interesting notes on Kickstarter in there too.
- EuroBSDCon 2022 CFP is open.
- an open source git server written in Elixir that works on OpenBSD. (via)
- NetBSD Full system backups with FFS snapshots, ZFS and dump(8). (via)
You will notice some clustering of links; my list filled up fast.
cutcomes into Unix (and a bit on the history of
- Why no Unix error device? and There is a Unix error device.
- FreeBSD 13.1-beta available.
- FreeBSD 2021 Q4 status report.
- Reproducible clean $HOME in OpenBSD using impermanence.
- ZFS Boot Environments Revolutions.
- Valuable News – 2022/03/14.
- My lazy approach to FreeBSD dual-booting.
- Retina, HiDPI scaling in KDE Plasma.
- Committing dotfiles and other essentials. I already copy .vimrc around too much.
helloSystem 0.6.0 is out.As is the experimental version. 0.7.0 is most recent.
- Work with FreeBSD in Google Summer of Code.
- FreeBSD on the Vortex86DX CPU.
- FreeBSD on the CubieBoard2.