Fun variety this week.
- FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE Now Available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
- 2.11BSD Missing Patches.
- Ultra Hat Dimension – PlayOnBSD. Mostly linking because of the name.
- Valuable News – 2020/08/03.
- BSD Gaming is Improving – Proton on FreeBSD. (via)
- A BSD phone lives! Sorta.
- BSD Router Project 1.97. (via)
- FSF’s Free Software Gang almost included FreeBSD.
- Bootstrapping 2.11BSD (no patches) from 2.11BSD pl 195.
- GSoC Reports: Fuzzing Rumpkernel Syscalls, Part 2.
- GSoC Reports: Enhancing Syzkaller support for NetBSD, Part 2.
- The GNU GDB Debugger and NetBSD (Part 3).
That last link is around the corner from me.
- Audio Subsystem on Single Board Computers.
- Finding file duplicates with fdupes on FreeBSD.
- nvi2 in FreeBSD ports.
- First screen shot of 2.11BSD as released.
- When Unix learned to reboot(2).
- Valuable News – 2020/07/27.
- OPNsense® 20.7 “Legendary Lion” released.
- Software inventory with Salt on FreeBSD. (via)
- My FreeBSD Laptop Build by Cyberdyne. (via)
- Installing Debian Under FreeBSD Bhyve. (via)
- Refactoring the FreeBSD Kernel with Checked C. (PDF, via)
This week’s BSD Now talks about a number of different releases, and also Emulex.
Lots of old BSD this week.
- Traditional Unix Toolchains. (via)
- 2.11BSD Original Tapes Recreation. Patch level 0. (via)
- Related: Adding Networking to 2.11BSD pl 195.
- Related if you want to do this yourself: SIMH Setup for 2.11BSD pl 0 Project.
- How to do Pull-ups to pkgsrc-stable.
- MidnightBSD 1.2.3 tagged.
- Enable Duo 2FA for SSH on MidnightBSD. Useful for any BSD.
- ZFS High Availability Filesystem With minio on FreeBSD. (via)
- Valuable News – 2020/07/20.
- April to June 2020 Status Report for FreeBSD.
- I’m back into the grind of FreeBSD’s wireless stack and 802.11ac and Fixing up ath_rate_sample to actually work well with 11n.
This week’s BSD Now is making reference to the episode count, I think. Of note this week: lots of how-to-do-this sorts of links.
There’s a separate Summer of Code section this week.
- The Homura Project.
- First powerpc64 snapshots available. (OpenBSD)
- Timecounters available to userland in -current.
- Sponsor NetBSD (and pkgsrc) on Github. (via)
- Checking if FreeBSD geli is using AES-NI.
- Restoring a Sun SPARCstation IPX Part 1: PSU and NVRAM. Semisure this is still BSD. (via)
- HardenedBSD July 2020 Status Report. (via)
- Focker is FreeBSD Image Orchestration Tool in Vein of Docker . (via)
- NetBSD Summer of Code reports:
- Benchmarking NetBSD, first evaluation report.
- Extending the functionality of NetPGP, Part 1.
- Enhancing Syzkaller support for NetBSD, Part 1.
- Curses Library Automated Testing, Part 1.
- Fuzzing the NetBSD Network Stack in a Rumpkernel Environment, Part 1.
- Make system(3) and popen(3) use posix_spawn(3) internally, Part 1.
- Fuzzing Rumpkernel Syscalls, Part 1.
- FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE Now Available on Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
- FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report 2020Q2. “Picked with the roll of a d100”.
- TrueNAS 12.0 beta available.
- Valuable News – 2020/07/13.
This week’s BSD Now covers the usual roundup of news. Of note: experimental FreeBSD binary updates, and as you can guess from the title, another method of segregating your web browser from the rest of your environment.
Dragged right out of my RSS feeds.
- Chai-Fi, the minimalistic wpa_supplicant.conf “manager” for FreeBSD. (via)
- Valuable News – 2020/06/29 and Valuable News – 2020/07/06.
- Classic ThinkPad Thermal Paste Change. Bookmarked cause I’ll eventually need it. There’s a Lenovo fan control for BSD buried in there too.
- FreeBSD Virtual Bug Squash event, happening today.
- Deep Integration of Filesystem Extended Attribute Support. (HardenedBSD)
- OPNsense 20.1.8 released.
- TrueCommand 1.3 out.
- OpenBSD upgraders need to delete libperl.a.
- Diablo (Hell/Hell co-op) – PlayOnBSD. (via)
- Emulex – Cheapest 10GE for Your Homelab on FreeBSD. (via)
- Tutorial sites treating FreeBSD like a Linux distro.
- Via previous link: Everyone should buy the USEBSD sticker.
This should be prime convention season, darnit.
- Smallest device running BSD?
- Android in FreeBSD bhyve. (via)
- The FreeBSD binary package manager cheatsheet. Applies to DragonFly too. (via)
- BSDCan 2020 Charity Auction Results.
- BSDCAN 2020 talk on Using OpenBGPd as a Control Plane for an ISP.
- Graphical view of the x86 OpenBSD boot process.
- Command Line Bug Hunting in FreeBSD. (via)
- The Era of Fragmentation, Part 4: The Anarchists. Touches early BSD UNIX.
- Announcing FreeBSD Fridays: A Series of 101 Classes. (via)
- pkgsrc-2020Q2 released.
- End of support for NetBSD 7.
- ChiBUG has a poll up about meeting. Vote, if you are near.
This week’s BSD Now, by accident or design, covers booting different BSDs on different hardware – take a look.
Overflow again, finally.
- BSD Resources, a list of BSD-based products. Missed one. (via)
- FreeBSD Day shifted. (via)
- Throw-Away Browser on FreeBSD With “pot” Within 5 Minutes. See also. (also via)
- WireGuard Merged Into OpenBSD. (via)
- Related: Trying out WireGuard’s kernel support in OpenBSD’s -current snapshots. (via)
- Getting Started with NetBSD on the Pinebook Pro. (via)
- More FreeBSD HPE Microserver homelab answers.
- Rubenerd Show 411: The FreeBSD cat(1) episode.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/22.
- Renaming and replacing zroot filesystems using mfsBSD.
- My FreeBSD Laptop Build. (via)
- The End of OS X. Touches a bit on early BSD history. (via)
- FreeBSD on the Intel 10th Gen i3 NUC. (via)
- TLS defaults changed in ldapd(8).
The most recent BSD Now covers a number of different topics, some of which you may have already seen linked. There’s some reader questions too, which I’m sure you have not seen.
A relatively calm week.
- I was late and didn’t link to it before, so: BSD Now 355: Man Page Origins.
- National FreeBSD Day just happened. (via)
- FreeBSD 11.4 is out.
- .Xcompose tips. Not really BSD but that’s where you’d use it.
- FreeBSD Desktop – Part 21 – Configuration – Compton.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/15.
- System Shock on OpenBSD. (via)
- HardenedBSD June 2020 Status Report.
- Fakecracker: NetBSD as a Function Based MicroVM. (via)
I like having shorter link texts so they all line up, but sometimes it’s unavoidably descriptive.
- FreeBSD’s new Code of Conduct.
- Gaming on OpenBSD.
- FreeBSD HEAD Binary Upgrades. (via bsdweekly)
- Install OpenBSD 6.7-current on a PineBook Pro 64. (via bsdweekly)
- TrueNAS is Multi-OS. My hot take is that this is a side effect of ZFS becoming commoditized.
- Speaking of which, ZFS: adding a drive back into the zpool.
- DRM update committed. It’s OpenBSD, so direct render, not digital rights.
- pfSense 2.4.5-RELEASE-p1 Now Available.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/08. Argh, there’s ad popups on what is otherwise a very nice site.
- “Blood” (game) ported to NetBSD.
- Booting FreeBSD off the HPE MicroServer Gen8 ODD SATA port.
- Import DHCP reservations from Synology DHCP Server to OpenBSD dhcpd(8).
- OpenBSD 6.7 on PC Engines APU4D4.