There’s a number of long-running BSD series out there nowadays, some of which I’m linking to here. That’s a nice change.
If these aren’t enough links, some of them are links to more links.
I didn’t even realize Summer of Code was upon us again.
This week’s BSD Now talks about a number of NetBSD things including rc.d as you might guess, and covers Project Trident. Listen/read in if you are unfamiliar.
Built entirely from open tabs.
This is all backlogged links; I have even more tabs open.
Sascha Wildner has added makefs(8) to DragonFly, with changes of course. This chunk of code has already traveled around two other BSDs.
Inadvertent theme: release news.
- Our Software Dependency Problem. Hard thinking about something many, many people don’t think hard enough about. This talks about software, but it’s directly analogous to ports/dports/pkgsrc. I’m leading with this even though it’s not directly about BSD, cause it affects anyone using a packaging system.
- I mentioned it before, but FOSDEM 2019, happening right now in Brussels, has a BSD Devroom with a lot of things happening in it; you could spend your entire Saturday in there.
- And something that has me quite excited: The Pinebook Pro, among other hardware announcements for FOSDEM. BSD is being mentioned right there as something to install on it, rather than as an aftermarket hack like with Chromebooks – heartwarming, I tell you. (via)
- Unix flowers. Look for birthtoken while you are at it. (via)
- FreeNAS has Plugins? A casual look at it seems to push some features into pfSense territory.
- Next NYC*BUG: 2/6.
- OPNsense 19.1-RC1 released. Wait, 19.1 is out.
- join-ing any open wifi network is now possible.
- FreeBSD Training @ SCaLE 17x (March 8, 2019) (via)
- NetBSD Virtual Machine Monitor. (via)
- ClonOS 19.01-RELEASE (first public release). (via)
- Valuable News – 2019/01/18 and Valuable News – 2019/01/25 and Valuable News – 2019/02/01.
- HardenedBSD 2018Q4 Status Report. (via)
- Florian Obser on unwind(8).
- MightnightBSD Roadmap.
- SoloBSD 19.01-STABLE.
- fnaify 1.2 released.
- At The Gates, 4x strategy game running on BSD. (via)
There’s some convention stuff scattered in here; we’re heading towards the active season…
Overflow from the past two weeks. I’ll have my email and tab backlog cleared next week.
I like when I can get Net, Free, and Open items all in the same week.
A big reading week. Enjoy!
I had a lot of tabs to close, if you can’t tell.
Once again playing catchup – but we all benefit from the abundance.
An oddly uplifting batch of BSD stories this week.
This week’s BSD Now covers assembly on OpenBSD, games on FreeBSD, and disk space on DragonFly.
Games are the unofficial accidental theme this week.
Still lots of BSD stuff happening.