(Posting now because waiting for the normal In Other BSDs post will only give you 48 hours of prep time for a proposal.)
A little short this week but the holidays are catching up to me.
- The Apple Macintosh as a User Interface Agent for Unix Systems. (via)
- BSDCan 2022 is going to happen and maybe even in person. The call for papers is out.
- ChiBUG is meeting this Tuesday, the 14th.
- FreeBSD 12.3 is out.
- Valuable News – 2021/12/06.
- Using FreeBSD’s pkg audit to Investigate Known Security Issues.
- LLDB FreeBSD kernel core dump support.
- FreeBSD on Slimbook — 14 months of updates.
- TrueNAS 12.0U7 is out.
- Cross-platform package building: Pkgsrc vs. Ravenports, parts one and two.
- Active Directory not-on-Windows, might be useful.
- A bit on what Unix system pre-boot environments used to look like.
Not just release announcements this week.
- NYCBUG is down today for a significant hardware move.
- FOSDEM 2022 is going to have a BSD Devroom. It’s online, so you can submit prerecorded talks – submissions due December 31.
- Valuable News – 2021/11/29.
- GhostBSD 21.11.24 ISO is now available.
- mfs: sometimes useful?
- Exploring NetBSD’s msgs(1). (via)
- Review: Netgate 6100.
- FreeBSD article writers needed. I’ve linked to Klara Systems before.
- Speaking of which, UNIX Wars – The Battle for Standards.
- New Test System. OpenBSD storage book is next apparently.
- HardenedBSD November 2021 Status Report.
- doas insults. This is a gem. (via)
- The previous link led me to 9front’s theo.
- Simple network dashboard with vnstat.
- The state of Steam on OpenBSD.
- Logitech MX Keys and MX Master on OpenBSD using Logi Bolt.
- OpenBSD Webzine #5.
Live in-person meetings are happening, slowly, finally.
- Register Today for the November 2021 FreeBSD Vendor Summit.
- How BSD Authentication Works. (via)
- Valuable News – 2021/10/19.
- Other FreeBSD Version in ZFS Boot Environment.
- Explaining top(1) on FreeBSD.
- Manipulating a Pool from the Rescue System.
- Building Your FreeBSD Developer Workstation Setup. Software and hardware.
- FreeBSD switches the default root shell from csh to sh. Muscle-memory issues may get you. (via)
- Open Source Summit 2021 Conference Recap. Live people?!
- FreeBSD Foundation October 2021 Fundraising Update.
- The State of Gaming on OpenBSD in 2022. Stick with it.
- One step closer to my new FreeBSD tower.
- GhostBSD 21.10.16 ISO is now available.
- Experimenting with a new OpenBSD development lab.
- Story of making the OpenBSD Webzine. (There’s 2 issues so far)
Why yes I am trying to clear out my backlog of Solène links.
- pkgsrc-2021Q3 branched.
- SOLVED: FreeBSD nfsv4 client/server protocol prob err=10026.
- Porting GNOME to NetBSD by Dan Cirnat. (via)
- EuroBSDCon 2021 videos are available.
- Initial impressions of Airyx – FreeBSD with a macOS style desktop. (via)
- Register multiples wifi networks on OpenBSD.
- Faster packages updates with OpenBSD.
- Workaround for an OpenBSD boot error on APU boards.
- RISC-V: The New Architecture on the Block.
No pun this time; the episode covers the title exactly – plus more recent headlines.
Lots of analog this week.
- The Tactile Beauty of Buttons, Meters, Knobs and Dials. (via)
- From the same place, Knobfeel.
- Baking Magnetic Recording Tape. (via)
- “The purpose of the web software industry is to extract value out of Open-Source Software (OSS).”
- The possible return of Connections. (via)
- The Computer Mouse Conference 2021 and The Mouse Sees. (also via)
- XScreenSaver 6.0.1 is out. No new savers in this release, just bugfixes.
- Explaining geometry with pizza. The pull quotes are the point.
- Itanium UNIX history.
- Some Plain Text Note Taking Tactics.
- Playdate Update. The cranking hardware console. (via)
- The little details you don’t think about when playing D&D.
- 50 Years of Text Games: 1993: Curses. Not the terminal software.
HardenedBSD 2021 “State of the Hardened Union”, presented by Shawn Webb, happening at NYCBUG at 6:45 tonight. See the announcement for how to get the invite.
ChiBUG’s having a virtual meeting tomorrow night. Register now, especially if you want to hear what Paul Vixie has to say. (You should)
NYCBUG’s on Zoom, tonight at 18:45 eastern.
A FreeBSD-heavy week.
- Remembering the work of David M. Tilbrook and the QED editor. Pre-BSD.
- fzf, for BSD and other places. (via)
- FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report – Fourth Quarter 2020.
- FreeBSD/i386 demoted to Tier 2 for FreeBSD 13.x
- The strange case of the ching in the unix. (via)
- Create FreeBSD pkg(8) Mirror Using BastilleBSD and Poudriere. (via)
- GhostBSD Install and Review. (via)
- Valuable News – 2021/01/25.
- FOSSASIA, March 13-21, call for speakers. It’s virtual.
- FreeBSD Desktop for PineBook Pro. (via)
- cool-retro-term. This will give you flashbacks if applicable.
- OPNsense 21.1 Marvelous Meerkat Released.
- OpenBSD on the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Nano (1st Gen). Maybe, maybe worth replacing this x220 with.
- Mirage Online Classic, should play on any BSD.
- Workaround for Bluetooth controllers on OpenBSD.
- NetBSD on the EdgeRouter Lite.
It’s online, so everyone can go to “Chatting About TLS and Orcs, by Michael W. Lucas“, tomorrow night. I’m putting this reminder the day before because you have to mail email@example.com to get the Zoom invite.
Virtual BUG meetings could be fun (see links); I’d like to attend even if it’s not local. If I can put aside time…
- CDBUG meetings going virtual.
- FreeBSD 12.2 on Azure.
- November 2020 FreeBSD Vendor Summit starts the 11th.
- What kind of controllers work with OpenBSD for playing games?
- HardenedBSD October 2020 Status Report.
- A list of games to try that probably all run on BSD.
- Performance tip(s) for those playing Minecraft on OpenBSD. Or any BSD, probably.
- OpenSSL 3.0 /dev/crypto issues on FreeBSD.
- Join the peer to peer social network Scuttlebutt using OpenBSD and Oasis.
- Argument processing in Unix and Windows.
- Video: C Programming on System 6 – Adding a GUI to diff(1). Sorta BSD?
- FreeBSD July-September status report.
- My first FreeBSD port: Castor.
- Valuable News – 2020/11/02.
It’s apparently release week?
- Switching Xorg Keyboard Layout on OpenBSD. (via)
- BSDCan 2021 is canceled.
- NetBSD 9.1 released.
- OpenBSD 6.8 Released.
- REDCOM Sigma. FreeBSD-based product, and my employer.
- TrueNAS 12.0 released.
- Valuable News – 2020/10/19.
- FreeBSD Q3 2020 report.
- FreeBSD GNOME 3 Fast Track.
- Google Summer of Code 2020: [Final Report] Enhancing Syzkaller support for NetBSD.
- how to play celeste with sound—sort of. AKA getting fmod to play on a BSD.
- People asking about FreeBSD licencing.
- OpenBSD 6.8 introduces a new hardware database client program.
- Minecraft; and on FreeBSD!
No theme, but lots to read.
- Default window manager switched to CTWM in NetBSD-current. (via)
- OpenBSD on Desktop (Part I) and OpenBSD on Desktop (Part II). (via and via)
- FreeBSD Journal 2020/07-08 – Benchmarking/Tuning. I keep missing the new issues; no RSS feed. (via)
- FreeBSD 12.2-BETA3 Available.
- “Even if you’ve never heard of OpenSSH, you’ve also benefited from it.“
- Wayland on NetBSD – trials and tribulations.
- Google Summer of Code 2020: [Final Report] RumpKernel Syscall Fuzzing.
- Google Summer of Code 2020: [Final Report] Curses Library Automated Testing.
- About pipelining OpenBSD ports contributions.
- Ingo announces pta (Plain Text Accounting). Only tangentially BSD, but it’s interesting how many text-only accounting programs there are.
- k2k20 hackathon report: Rafael Sadowski on KDE and other packages progress.
- Valuable News – 2020/09/28.
- ESET file server antivirus scanner on MidnightBSD.
Straight dump of my BSD RSS feed.
- On the use of a life. A BSD business.
- FreeBSD Instant-workstation 2020. (via)
- FreeBSD Subversion to Git Migration: Pt 1 Why?
- Related: Subversion and Git on FreeBSD. (video, via)
- k2k20 hackathon reports: Florian Obser on DNS, Klemens Nanni on network land decluttering, Bob Beck on LibreSSL progress, and Martijn van Duren on snmp, agentx, and other progress. An actual in-person meeting!
- Valuable News – 2020/09/21.
- A simple shell status bar for OpenBSD and cwm(1).
- Unified pfSense documentation.
- New minecraft launcher in ports. OpenBSD.
- OPNSense 20.7.3 released.
Michael W. Lucas is doing a talk on Introductory Jails as part of FreeBSD Friday – mentioning it now instead of saving for In Other BSDs, cause Friday is tomorrow.