HardenedBSD 2021 “State of the Hardened Union”, presented by Shawn Webb, happening at NYCBUG at 6:45 tonight. See the announcement for how to get the invite.
ChiBUG’s having a virtual meeting tomorrow night. Register now, especially if you want to hear what Paul Vixie has to say. (You should)
NYCBUG’s on Zoom, tonight at 18:45 eastern.
A FreeBSD-heavy week.
- Remembering the work of David M. Tilbrook and the QED editor. Pre-BSD.
- fzf, for BSD and other places. (via)
- FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report – Fourth Quarter 2020.
- FreeBSD/i386 demoted to Tier 2 for FreeBSD 13.x
- The strange case of the ching in the unix. (via)
- Create FreeBSD pkg(8) Mirror Using BastilleBSD and Poudriere. (via)
- GhostBSD Install and Review. (via)
- Valuable News – 2021/01/25.
- FOSSASIA, March 13-21, call for speakers. It’s virtual.
- FreeBSD Desktop for PineBook Pro. (via)
- cool-retro-term. This will give you flashbacks if applicable.
- OPNsense 21.1 Marvelous Meerkat Released.
- OpenBSD on the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Nano (1st Gen). Maybe, maybe worth replacing this x220 with.
- Mirage Online Classic, should play on any BSD.
- Workaround for Bluetooth controllers on OpenBSD.
- NetBSD on the EdgeRouter Lite.
It’s online, so everyone can go to “Chatting About TLS and Orcs, by Michael W. Lucas“, tomorrow night. I’m putting this reminder the day before because you have to mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get the Zoom invite.
Virtual BUG meetings could be fun (see links); I’d like to attend even if it’s not local. If I can put aside time…
- CDBUG meetings going virtual.
- FreeBSD 12.2 on Azure.
- November 2020 FreeBSD Vendor Summit starts the 11th.
- What kind of controllers work with OpenBSD for playing games?
- HardenedBSD October 2020 Status Report.
- A list of games to try that probably all run on BSD.
- Performance tip(s) for those playing Minecraft on OpenBSD. Or any BSD, probably.
- OpenSSL 3.0 /dev/crypto issues on FreeBSD.
- Join the peer to peer social network Scuttlebutt using OpenBSD and Oasis.
- Argument processing in Unix and Windows.
- Video: C Programming on System 6 – Adding a GUI to diff(1). Sorta BSD?
- FreeBSD July-September status report.
- My first FreeBSD port: Castor.
- Valuable News – 2020/11/02.
It’s apparently release week?
- Switching Xorg Keyboard Layout on OpenBSD. (via)
- BSDCan 2021 is canceled.
- NetBSD 9.1 released.
- OpenBSD 6.8 Released.
- REDCOM Sigma. FreeBSD-based product, and my employer.
- TrueNAS 12.0 released.
- Valuable News – 2020/10/19.
- FreeBSD Q3 2020 report.
- FreeBSD GNOME 3 Fast Track.
- Google Summer of Code 2020: [Final Report] Enhancing Syzkaller support for NetBSD.
- how to play celeste with sound—sort of. AKA getting fmod to play on a BSD.
- People asking about FreeBSD licencing.
- OpenBSD 6.8 introduces a new hardware database client program.
- Minecraft; and on FreeBSD!
No theme, but lots to read.
- Default window manager switched to CTWM in NetBSD-current. (via)
- OpenBSD on Desktop (Part I) and OpenBSD on Desktop (Part II). (via and via)
- FreeBSD Journal 2020/07-08 – Benchmarking/Tuning. I keep missing the new issues; no RSS feed. (via)
- FreeBSD 12.2-BETA3 Available.
- “Even if you’ve never heard of OpenSSH, you’ve also benefited from it.“
- Wayland on NetBSD – trials and tribulations.
- Google Summer of Code 2020: [Final Report] RumpKernel Syscall Fuzzing.
- Google Summer of Code 2020: [Final Report] Curses Library Automated Testing.
- About pipelining OpenBSD ports contributions.
- Ingo announces pta (Plain Text Accounting). Only tangentially BSD, but it’s interesting how many text-only accounting programs there are.
- k2k20 hackathon report: Rafael Sadowski on KDE and other packages progress.
- Valuable News – 2020/09/28.
- ESET file server antivirus scanner on MidnightBSD.
Straight dump of my BSD RSS feed.
- On the use of a life. A BSD business.
- FreeBSD Instant-workstation 2020. (via)
- FreeBSD Subversion to Git Migration: Pt 1 Why?
- Related: Subversion and Git on FreeBSD. (video, via)
- k2k20 hackathon reports: Florian Obser on DNS, Klemens Nanni on network land decluttering, Bob Beck on LibreSSL progress, and Martijn van Duren on snmp, agentx, and other progress. An actual in-person meeting!
- Valuable News – 2020/09/21.
- A simple shell status bar for OpenBSD and cwm(1).
- Unified pfSense documentation.
- New minecraft launcher in ports. OpenBSD.
- OPNSense 20.7.3 released.
Michael W. Lucas is doing a talk on Introductory Jails as part of FreeBSD Friday – mentioning it now instead of saving for In Other BSDs, cause Friday is tomorrow.
Check the BSDCan videos this week; there’s more than a day’s worth of material right there.
- BSDCan 2020 videos. (via)
- File handling in Unix: tips, traps and outright badness. Not only BSD. (via)
- My views on some conventions for Unix command line options, followed by Unix options conventions are just that, which makes them products of culture. Related to last week’s options links.
- A Generation Lost in the Bazaar. 2012 but still accurate. (via)
- EvilQuest on OpenBSD.
- FreeBSD and Jails at BSD Rennes, an event I did not know about. Here’s more.
- Drawing Pictures The Unix Way – with pic and troff.
- Valuable News – 2020/08/10.
- Recovering 2.11BSD, fighting the patches.
- LLVM 10.0.0 imported into -current.
- NetBSD on the NanoPi NEO2. (via)
- GSoC Reports: Benchmarking NetBSD, second evaluation report.
- GSoC 2020 Second Evaluation Report: Curses Library Automated Testing.
This should be prime convention season, darnit.
- Smallest device running BSD?
- Android in FreeBSD bhyve. (via)
- The FreeBSD binary package manager cheatsheet. Applies to DragonFly too. (via)
- BSDCan 2020 Charity Auction Results.
- BSDCAN 2020 talk on Using OpenBGPd as a Control Plane for an ISP.
- Graphical view of the x86 OpenBSD boot process.
- Command Line Bug Hunting in FreeBSD. (via)
- The Era of Fragmentation, Part 4: The Anarchists. Touches early BSD UNIX.
- Announcing FreeBSD Fridays: A Series of 101 Classes. (via)
- pkgsrc-2020Q2 released.
- End of support for NetBSD 7.
- ChiBUG has a poll up about meeting. Vote, if you are near.
Remember, BSDCan 2020 is still streaming if you read this early enough.
- Understanding How OpenZFS Keeps Your Data Safe.
- BastilleBSD Template updates. (via)
- Bringing FreeBSD to EC2 with Colin Percival. A long and worthwhile story, on a non-BSDpodcast. (via)
- The FreeBSD 2020 Community Survey.
- Peeking inside executables and libraries to make debugging easier. Applies to BSD as it says.
- Some new fnaify-supported games.
- Custom tab completions in oksh.
- VAX port needs help.
- FreeBSD 11.4 RC2 available.
- My new FreeBSD Laptop: Dell Latitude 7390. I’ve had good luck with that series.
- Some new FreeBSD/EC2 features: EFS automount and ebsnvme-id.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/01.
- BSDCan 2020 Charity Auction.
BSDCan 2020 is being streamed right now and tomorrow, with all talks available.
Accidental theme of video links, which I would not have expected for a BSD summary.
- Speculoos, a FreeBSD (and Citrix) specific vulnerability. You know you’ve made it when you are a target.
- January to March 2020 FreeBSD Status Report.
- OpenBSD on the HP Envy 13. (via)
- Ars Technica – Not Actually Linux Distro Review – GhostBSD. (via)
- FuryBSD 12.1 overview. (video, via)
- Ubiquiti UniFi Controller Installation on FreeBSD from ports/packages. (video, via)
- 3-Antivirus Protection using OPNsense Plugins. (video, via)
- Northgard currently Free for the Weekend on Steam. (Can run on OpenBSD at least.)
- FreeBSD progress on Slimbook Base14. (via)
- Using OpenVPN with Multi-WAN. I’ve done this; it’s easier than it looks. (via)
- mksh R59 released. (MirBSD Korn shell)
- TrueNAS CORE is the New FreeNAS.
- Setting Up Users, Permissions, and ACLs on FreeNAS. Or TrueNAS Core?
- Running X Applications on a Jail created with Bastille.
- Valuable News – 2020/04/13.
- RIP Romeo, host of many NYCBUG events.
- SEMIBUG, still meeting remotely through May.
I’m posting now because it’s happening Wednesday and waiting for In Other BSDs on Saturday will be too late: the next FreeBSD Office Hours (livestream with Q&A) is happening on the 16th.
BUG meetings are canceled, but this can’t be surprising at this point.
- Installing FreeBSD for Raspberry Pi 1/2/3. (via)
- Tale of two hypervisor bugs – Escaping from FreeBSD bhyve. (via)
- SNMP Mastery is out. (related: The Print Book Trade, and Money)
- NYCBUG meetings are suspended for obvious meetings, but there’s online chat.
- BSDCan 2020 will be online-only.
- No April ChiBUG meeting.
- FreeNAS and TrueNAS are merging.
- OpenBSD andIPv6.
- WireGuard Gives Linux a Faster, More Secure VPN. Linked cause there’s BSD support too. (via)
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2020Q1 release.
- BSD Link Roundup 4.8.
- Wifi renewal restarted.
- LLDB work concluded.
- Valuable News – 2020/04/06.
- WRATH: Aeon of Ruin on OpenBSD!
- Testing AGS games on OpenBSD! That’s Adventure Game Studios.
- OPNsense 20.1.4 released.
Another overflow week.
- Travel Grant Application for BSDCan is now open.
- Bram Moolenaar Uses This. I am curious about what specifically stopped him using BSD.
- Tildeverse. Several BSD communities in there.
- What files installed by this package have been modified post-install?
- Some effects of the ZFS DVA format on data layout and growing ZFS pools. Linked cause much ZFS discussion is about tools, not format.
- Open world games! OpenBSD.
- SerenityOS desktop running on an OpenBSD kernel. (via)
- Creating a ZFS dataset for testing iocage within a jail.
- FixedMisc [MirOS] 20200202 and MirKeyboardLayout 9x released!
- Finding out what directories exist with only basic shell builtins (a Unix shell trick). Tangentially BSD.
- Second (final) release candidate for NetBSD 9.0 available!
- Related: Help NetBSD test 9.0 Release Candidate 2.
- [packages] PostgreSQL major update.
- Valuable News – 2020/02/03.
- ThinkPad T480 is my new main laptop which runs FreeBSD. (via)
- FOSDEM BSD room video recordings. (via)
- [How-To] Running syslog-ng in BastilleBSD. (via)
- FreeNAS Plugins Development.