Tennessee area BSD user group KnoxBUG is meeting tomorrow, and Warren Block will be the guest speaker. He’ll be talking about documentation. Going by the linked announcement, there will be both prizes and blame, so something for everyone!
A much more well-rounded crop of BSD links this week.
- FreeBSD status report for 2016Q3.
- “Import (finally!) Tor Browser 6.0.5.” An obvious matchup. (via)
- “FreeBSD Flavors. Do We Need Them?“
- Next SemiBUG meeting: December 20th.
- “How to remote connect to BSD server behind double NAT?”
- Review of NAS4Free 10.3.0.3. I forgot about this… fork? (via)
- pycapsicum – sandbox your Python code on FreeBSD. (via)
- Iocage – A FreeBSD jail manager. (via)
- “What’s your favorite BSD jail administration software?“
- Build a FreeBSD 11.0-release Openstack Image with bsd-cloudinit. (via)
- OPNsense 16.7.8 released.
- b2k16 hackathon report: Landry Breuil, Jeremy Evans, Daniel Jakots.
- l2k16 hackathon report: LibreSSL manuals now in mdoc(7).
- openbsd changes of note
- Learning more about the NetBSD scheduler (… than I wanted to know)
- MeetBSD 2016 Report: Michael Dexter.
Started out with a short list, but I managed to find some extra links by Friday.
- b2k16 hackathon report: Antoine Jacoutot.
- NetBSD 7.0/xen scheduling mystery, and how to fix it with processor sets.
- Looking at the scheduler issue again. Part 2 from previous link.
- TrueOS Launch message. Might be time to retire the PC-BSD tag.
- Lynis – Security auditing tool for Linux, macOS, and UNIX-based systems. (via)
- Exit from Hell? Reducing the Impact of Amplification DDoS Attacks. Also as a paper. I’d like to compare the number of systems found as amplifiers vs. systems in general. e.g. are BSD less likely to create reflectors? (via)
- “PAM is Un-American” talk now online. Buy the PAM Mastery book!
- Devops with Chef on FreeBSD, an online course from BSD Magazine.
- SemiBUG is meeting Tuesday. Joe Gidi will talk about ‘managing Android devices with BSD‘.
Reminder: Isaac (.ike) Levy’s “Infrastructure in a Post-Cloud Era” presentation is tonight, at NYCBUG’s November meeting. Go, see.
I get all the BSDs this week.
- Infrastructure in a Post-Cloud Era. .ike presenting at NYCBUG on November 2nd. Go if you are near, vote if you can.
- FreeNAS/ESXi – Link aggregation without a switch.
- Dropping Linux and KVM in Favor of FreeBSD and Jails (2015). (via)
- chromebook printing troubles
- I used Virtualbox to install both FreeBSD and DragonflyBSD… it said login incorrect upon reboot.
- Internet Connection Problems
- Continuous OpenBSD regress tests. (via)
- *BSD on laptops
- In this how-to we’ll set up an email server from scratch using NetBSD.
- Allow reading of files but no copying on FreeNAS.
- NetBSD 7.0.2 released.
- OPNsense 16.7.7 released.
- pkgsrcCon 2016 videos.
This was an easy week to put together; there’s a lot of links this week. Last week was slow – maybe it was because of EuroBSDCon?
- pfSense 2.3.2-p1 RELEASE Now Available!
- 386bsd/386bsd – Upgrade to 386BSD 2.0. (via)
- A new addition to FreeBSD.org.
- SNIA SDC 2016 Recap: Michael Dexter. Swordfish sounds interesting.
- Review of OpenBSD 6.0. (via)
- Steam on FreeBSD?
- Is anyone here using netflix on FreeBSD?
- New to BSD. Please help me choose a BSD.
- FreeBSD/EC2 11.0-RELEASE.
- Videos from OSHUG #46.
- “PAM Mastery” print sponsor books.
- process listing consistency.
- EuroBSDcon 2016 Recap.
- OpenZFS: Stronger Than Ever. Devsummit report.
- NYCBUG moved their cabinet without issue. It sounds like NYI is good people.
Mark Sumter’s giving a talk on ZFS at tonight’s KnoxBUG meeting. Hurry! I should have posted this sooner but work tied me up today.
Bryan Everly wants to start a BSD User Group in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the US. If you are anywhere near there and would go (and you should; user groups are great), tell him.
NYCBUG is meeting tomorrow night, with George Neville-Neil presenting DTrace work used as college-level teaching material, and talking about more places it could be used. Go if you are near New York City, interested in teaching, or you know – BSD. It’s in a different location than the normal monthly meetings.
KnoxBUG’s next meeting is tomorrow night, and Mark Sumter is presenting on ZFS. Visit if you are near Tennessee.
For once, I’m not working on Saturday, so even though this is last minute, at least I’m not in a race with the clock.
- ZFS High-Availability NAS. (via)
- Steam on FreeBSD. (via)
- Reminder: Next SemiBUG meeting is on the 23rd.
- Want to help move a cabinet of BSD User Group equipment, in NYC?
- “results-oriented and non-ideological“.
- BSD, guava. (via)
- OpenSSH is/has been deprecating DSA keys. This affects FreeBSD, and probably DragonFly too.
- The third “Hosting files using ZFS” class is available.
- connect doesn’t restart. OpenBSD pkg_add.
- OPNSense is at version 16.7.2 and gained a team member.
- DiscoverBSD for 2016/08/15.
- Linux kernel, the port. (via)
- MidnightBSD 0.8 out. (via)
- UEFI multibooting: FreeBSD and DragonFly BSD.
If you are near New York City, NYCBUG’s InstallFest is happening just before 7 PM Wednesday at the usual Stone Creek bar meeting location. Go, see what strange hardware turns up.
I did all of this in a hour, because I had so many tabs saved from during the week. Don’t get overwhelmed!
- EuroBSDCon 2016 schedule has been released.
- OPNsense 16.7 released.
- 2016Q2 FreeBSD Status Report.
- SemiBUG has a Twitter. Here’s their last meeting, and the next is 8/23.
- August 3rd: NYCBUG Installfest. Go just to see what weird hardware shows up.
- Attacks against FreeBSD Update components. (via)
- How do I dual boot FreeBSD 10.3 with Windows 10?
- Steam on FreeBSD 11-CURRENT. (via)
- ZFS and RAID.
- OpenBSD 6.0 pre-orders up.
- OpenBSD 6.0 to be released September 1, 2016. (via)
- EuroBSDCon 2016 talks and tutorials. (via and via)
- DiscoverBSD for 2016/07/25.
- Why FreeBSD? by Hamza Sheikh.
- pfSense 2.3.2 is out.
- AWS VPN config supports pfSense 2.2.5+.
- FreeBSD 11 Beta2 is available.
- n2k16 hackathon report: Stefan Sperling on dhclient bugs, iwm(4) issues.
- Will switching to FreeBSD give me an advantage over Linux when it comes to gaming?
- Translation Status for 1.0.0. (Lumina)
- one reason to hate openbsd.
- Status of wireless support for MacBook Pro (late 2011)
- Am I doing it wrong?
- VirtualBox 5.x finally on FreeBSD.
- Some notes on our new generation of ZFS-based file servers.
- A Grand Experiment by Leo Laporte. Shifting to BSD. (via)
- Announcing PacBSD (Formerly named ArchBSD). (via)
- OpenBSD: Release Songs: 6.0: “Another Smash of the Stack”. (via)
Bonus DragonFly items, sent by Rolinh on IRC:
- Migrate UFS drive from FreeNAS to DragonFly BSD
- Ask HN: DragonflyBSD – Do anyone use it in production?
Adding a new “BUG” category, cause there’s enough ongoing BSD user group activity these days that it’s a reoccurring theme. That makes me happy.
- OPNsense 16.7-RC2 released.
- DiscoverBSD for 2016/07/18.
- Another Release of FreeBSD on the Horizon: My Thoughts.
- Why we use OpenBSD at VidiGuard.
- Thinking about switching from arch Linux to freebsd. I’m a complete bsd noob, pointers?
- Slides from Josh Grosse’s OpenBSD ports presentation at SemiBUG.
- New dmesg output from a variety of hardware. (via)
- EuroBSDCon 2016: registration is now open!
- PHP modules are now automatically enabled in pkgsrc.