BSDNow 249 is covering a really wide range of topics including an uncommon amount of NetBSD, so I’m going to do the easy thing and repeat the summary: “OpenZFS and DTrace updates in NetBSD, NetBSD network security stack audit, Performance of MySQL on ZFS, OpenSMTP results from p2k18, legacy Windows backup to FreeNAS, ZFS block size importance, and NetBSD as router on a stick.”
NYCBUG is having an outdoors meeting in Bryant Park, today, 6:45 PM. Go, if you are near.
Treat this week: footage of a college animatronic project I was slightly involved in. See below.
- Maintaining Notepad is not a full-time job, but it’s not an empty job either.
- Concise Computational Literature is Now Online in Taper. 1KB items only.
- 80s Home Robot History. The first example is classic open source.
- Alphachat, economic film analysis. This podcast episode is talking about Tron/Tron Legacy. (via)
- Ten years of Vim. (via)
- 30 years later, QBasic is still the best. I link to this story because years ago, in college, some of my roommates built an entire animatronic gargoyle project around it. I found the footage, recently. (via)
- Vim 8.1 released. (via)
- Hints for writing Unix tools. (via)
- Reverse NES emulation. (via)
- We Did Our First Kickstarter! And It Worked! Linking to it because the games are interesting, but also because it’s a viewpoint where he says “We’re getting older, enough so that the end of our careers is in sight. ” Not something you normally think of for an indie developer.
- Eudora, BSD-licensed. (via many places)
- WTFUtil, fun-looking terminal report screen. (via)
- OnlineASCIITools.com. Exactly what it sounds like.
One of these links will be very useful to someone.
- Join us, building a full OpenBSD mailserver. (via)
- Valuable News 2018/05/25.
- May 2018 Status Report: Cross-DSO CFI in HardenedBSD. (via)
- BSDJobs.com. (via)
- Research Positions – Aberdeen Scotland.
- NetBSD: a new version of the CDDL dtrace and ZFS code. (via)
- OpenBSD Kernel Internals — Creation of process from user-space to kernel space. (via)
- iXsystems Newsletter: The April 2018 Edition.
- OPNsense 18.1.9 released.
- OpenBSD’s httpd gets URL rewrite Not the final patch. (via)
- BSD: Networking Included. Some extremely useful tips in here for network troubleshooting. (via)
- Boot All the Things! (via)