Here’s something that doesn’t have an immediate impact now, but will be useful down the road: Francois Tigeot has been working on DRM support in DragonFly, and has been quite successful with Intel video support. His strategy has been to adopt Linux methods where possible, to reduce the amount of support work. The payoff has been excellent, and prompt, accelerated video support in DragonFly. The most recent work is “git: drm: Implement parts of the Linux irq subsystem“, which is going to come in handy for someone, I’m sure.
I like code that travels through multiple BSDs.
I haven’t been able to say this in a while, but: I like cross-pollination.
Losing power at home this week put a dent in my reading throughput, so to speak, but this will do.
- DragonFFI: FFI/JIT for the C language using Clang/LLVM. Not actually related to DragonFly or really BSD, but I like the synchronicity. (via)
- Simplifying Linux with … fish? Or BSD.
- New BSDMag issue – with a feature on OpenBSD Gaming. (via)
- Tarsnap pricing change.
- BSDCan 2018 schedule is up. Some people from my employer are going; I may too.
- DIY Hardware firewall on OpenBSD.
- OpenBSD 6.3 Released.
- Untangle vs pfSense.
- Nextcloud 13 on FreeBSD. (via)
- 32+ great indie games now playable on -current; 7 currently on sale! Rogue Legacy is fun, though I’ve only played the Windows version, not on any BSD.
- TrueNAS 11.1 – What’s New.
Shutdowns are a bit faster in DragonFly, thanks to the addition of a QUICKHALT shortcut. How much faster? It depends on what devices you have mounted, I suspect. I haven’t yet updated and tried.
Happy Almost Fool’s Easter Day! I have to be at work in a few hours, at 3 AM, so this is all I was able to find in the time I have.
- Re: door opening sensor HW for OpenBSD? (via)
- Userland PCI drivers. NetBSD. (via)
- A nice note about OpenBSD right on the Void Linux page. (see lower left.)
- 40 years BSD Mail – 1978-03-25 – 2018-03-25. (via)
- A Note on SYSVIPC and Jails on FreeBSD. (via)
- Boosting the NetBSD release handling. (via)
- How does DragonflyBSD compare to FreeBSD?
- OpenBSD 6.3 Retro Gaming Station with a microsoft sidewinder gamepad pro. Works great!
- Handling of daemon/gid/uid in application.
- The February 2018 iXSystems newsletter.
- Introduction to email (pt. 1): Email basics.
- FreeBSD Desktop – Part 1 – Simplified Boot.
- What’s a good BSD to start out with?
Welcome the newest committer to DragonFly: Aaron LI!