I’m writing this on the road, so it’s a bit low on links. Sorry! I will have much more next week.
Literally this is my open browser tabs pasted in order.
- Jitsi on OpenBSD, specifically how to make it work.
- NetBSD IRC channels are also moved to Libera.
- Also KDE on FreeBSD — IRC channels.
- Gaming on NomadBSD – Based on FreeBSD 13. (via)
- Guide to FreeBSD Desktop Distributions. “Distributions”. (via)
- Updating GCC GNAT (Ada) in pkgsrc/NetBSD. (via)
- NetBSD on the Vortex86DX CPU.
- June 2021 FreeBSD Developer Summit, next week.
- HardenedBSD May 2021 Status Report.
- NetBSD 9.2’s new default package DB location.
- FreeBSD 13 on the Panasonic Let’s Note CF-RZ6. It is adorable.
- What you can’t install with NetBSD’s pkgsrc.
- Harsh resource limits on CGIs set for the MirBSD server.
- aiomixer, X/Open Curses and ncurses, and other news.
- FYI – Upcoming 1.17 release requires JDK 16 (and thus -current). For Minecraft on BSD users.
- Updating my FreeBSD 12.2 host to FreeBSD 13.0.
- Upgrading a FreeBSD 12.2 jail to FreeBSD 13 using mkjail.
- Rumors of an OpenBSD game console?
- Valuable News – 2021/05/31.
- Unix Shell Programming: The Next 50 Years. Look at the first comment on the source.
- You Can Watch Netflix on FreeBSD. (via)
Done early, and I have more BSD-related tabs to get through.
- NetBSD Annual General Meeting is today.
- NetBSD 9.2 is out.
- The state of toolchains in OpenBSD.
- Building LLVM on OpenBSD/loongson and OpenBSD/loongson on the Lemote Yeeloong 8101B.
- FreeBSD Release 13.0 Highlights.
- NomadBSD 130R-20210508 released.
- Umbrage at trying FreeBSD and Linux in VMs.
- FreeBSD on the Pine H6.
- Half-Life (including distributable game data).
- Help prospective KGB operative. Bug report as cosplay?
- FreeBSD Desktop – Part 25 – Configuration – Random Terminal Theme.
- Valuable News – 2021/05/10 and Valuable News – 2021/05/17.
- More Go modules in pkgsrc.
- gmock and gtest on OpenBSD 6.9 hate each other. (via)
Well, I made up for last week’s short list.
- What tool you use to read IPMI sensor information can matter. Not directly BSD, but the tools described are in ports.
- The origin of POSIX. The name, not the standard. TWAIN has the best pseudo-origin. (via)
- Does the old Unix still exist, besides its descendants? Yes, and so does Theseus’s ship.
- Related: Plan 9 is now open source, along with Inferno. Technically a later version of Unix – plus Inferno can run on BSD. (via)
- NetBSD Bounties for xhci features scatter-gather, suspend/resume. (via)
- HardenedBSD March 2021 Status Report.
- GSoC Reports: Make system(3), popen(3) and popenve(3) use posix_spawn(3) internally (Final report).
- KDE on FreeBSD 2021o2.
- Hitting donation milestone, financial report for 2020.
- How to split a file into small parts.
- UFS Boot Environments.
- What security does a default OpenBSD installation offer?
- Nginx as a TCP/UDP relay. On OpenBSD.
- pkgsrc-2021Q1 branch announcement.
- FVWM(3) and the quest for a comfortable NetBSD desktop. (via)
- Valuable News – 2021/03/29.
- OPNsense 21.1.4 released.
- Only Footnotes. But some of them are BSD footnotes!
Semi-BSD-related: One of my 3 workplaces needs a Software Team Lead. (scroll down) The main product is FreeBSD-based, though this team position does not directly work with it.
Solene is publishing faster than I can link!
- EuroBSDCon 2021 Call for Papers open.
- Porting OpenBSD to RISC-V Final Report. (PDF, via)
- FreeBSD 13.0: Full Desktop Experience. (via)
- Pine 64: March Update. Nominally BSD related. (via)
- Creating ports for BSD distributions. (via)
- Wayland on FreeBSD.
- Top 12 best opensource games available on OpenBSD.
- Using pkgsrc on OpenBSD.
- Port of the week[s]: catgirl irc client and pmenu.
- Valuable News – 2021/03/15.
This bulked up fast this week.
- Xfce 4.16 has landed in FreeBSD ports. (via)
- List of some Shell goodies for OpenBSD. (via)
- GNU Date and several versions of RFC 3339 dates.
- Reviving the 1973 Unix text to voice translator. (via)
- FreeBSD on Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM. (via)
- Remote work notes from a longtime BSD developer. (via)
- pkgsrc-2020Q4 released.
- HardenedBSD December 2020 Status Report.
- Submitting to dmesgd with curl. (via)
- sysctl parameter
kern.video.recordadded to -current.
- Self-host a password manager on OpenBSD.
- Valuable News – 2021/01/04.
- BSD Tip: adding a new user.
- GZDoom on OpenBSD using Intel Vulkan.
- Recommendations for an emulation focused OBSD Gaming Rig?
No theme, but plenty of variety.
- A reimplementation of NetBSD based on a microkernel.
- Valuable News – 2020/08/24.
- “TLS Mastery” Covers Reveal, with T-shirts and Posters.
- TrueNAS 12.0 beta out.
- MidnightBSD 1.2.7 out.
- pkgdb belongs in libdata, not var. Them’s fightin’ words!
- rc.d belongs in libexec, not etc. Them too!
- GhostBSD financial reports. I like seeing this out in the open. (via)
- What is the oldest BSD? Not as short an answer as you may think. (via)
- Tarsnap podcast episode with FreeBSD ex security officer Colin Percival. (via)
- From 8′ to 4″: massive pkgsrc performance gain by replacing a shell script with awk.
Lots of old BSD this week.
- Traditional Unix Toolchains. (via)
- 2.11BSD Original Tapes Recreation. Patch level 0. (via)
- Related: Adding Networking to 2.11BSD pl 195.
- Related if you want to do this yourself: SIMH Setup for 2.11BSD pl 0 Project.
- How to do Pull-ups to pkgsrc-stable.
- MidnightBSD 1.2.3 tagged.
- Enable Duo 2FA for SSH on MidnightBSD. Useful for any BSD.
- ZFS High Availability Filesystem With minio on FreeBSD. (via)
- Valuable News – 2020/07/20.
- April to June 2020 Status Report for FreeBSD.
- I’m back into the grind of FreeBSD’s wireless stack and 802.11ac and Fixing up ath_rate_sample to actually work well with 11n.
Happy leap day!
- RSVP to the ChiBUG mailing list if you are attending the March 10th meeting, in its new location.
- The Vixie talk at NYCBUG is this week; this is worth making an extra trip for.
- Critical OpenSMTPd update.
- FreeBSD 12.0 EOL.
- A Q&A with the FreeBSD Foundation.
- Valuable News – 2020/02/10, 2020/02/17, and 2020/02/24. Clearly I am behind.
- FreeBSD Enterprise Storage at PBUG.
- dig(1), host(1) and nslookup(1) moved to /usr/bin.
- a2k20 Hackathon Report: Ken Westerback on
xhci(4),dhclient(8), and scsi.
- OpenBSD Foundation 2019 campaign wrapup.
- FOSDEM 2020 videos available.
- OPNsense 20.1.1 released.
- Warning! Active Directory Security Changes Require TrueNAS and FreeNAS Updates.
- Full name of root account in BSD. A chunk of history I had never heard.
- Managing a database of vulnerabilities for a package system: the pkgsrc study case. (PDF, via)
- Low power BSD-based AP/router?
- HashLink port for running Dead Cells. (via)
UNIX history as an accidental theme this week.
Update: NetBSD 9.0 is released.
- Are there analogues to libxo out there?
- Unix Heritage Wiki. (via)
- Rigs of rods: physic vehicles simulator. (OpenBSD gaming)
- PF dynamic IP lists. I have the same question.
- Six FreeBSD terminal games. Probably other BSDs too. (via)
- UNIX Review Early 80’s Ad.
- Cycling / bike trips and opensource.
- Rob Landley about the /usr split. (via)
- awesome cli apps: A curated list of command line apps. Look for them in ports. (via)
- Using PKGSRC on Manjaro Linux aarch64 Pinebook-pro. (via)
- FreeNAS versus Unraid – Grudge Match. (via)
- Dependencies and maintainers. Tehcnically BSD related.
No theme evolved, but lots more links this week.
- Nextcloud 17 on FreeBSD 12.1.
- BSD user groups in Italy. (via)
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2019Q4 release. (via)
- HEADS UP: Wayland and WebRTC enabled for NetBSD 9/Linux. (pkgsrc, via)
- Unlock Your UNIX Laptop with Your Phone. I normally pull vermaden items directly from RSS, but the Lobste.rs comments may also be interesting.
- Valuable News – 2020/01/06.
- The BSDCan 2020 call for papers closes on the 19th; get yours in soon!
- ChiBUG meets on the 14th. I’ll post a reminder.
- Using rsnapshot for easy backups.
- Archives are important to retain and pass on knowledge. Someday, you will thank you.
- Firefox pkg for 6.6-stable will not receive latest updates. (OpenBSD)
- FreeBSD end-of-year recap by adridg. FreeBSD, Calamares.
- Hunspell on FreeBSD. (via)
- Bastille Containers on FreeBSD.
- Related: A practical guide to containers on FreeNAS for a depraved psychopath.
- OpenBSD on DigitalOcean. The comments in the source link note you can get any BSD installed that way.
It’s probably going to be quiet for at least a few days because of the Christmas holiday, though I’ll of course have the normal weekend features up.
In the meantime, here’s something to ponder: this post about tmux and plugins for it led me to thinking about plugins in general. The pkg system is sort of a plugin scheme for BSDs, much like apt for Debian, yum, etc. Each language has its own libraries to load and plugins to manage past that, like Perl’s CPAN. Nowadays, applications have their own plugins. For instance, a system with WordPress installed with PHP installed with PHP plugins required with WordPress plugins that also require given PHP libraries. WordPress manages keeping itself and its plugins up to date, but not the underlying PHP installation. You can get something similar with Perl along with the Perl-specific package updates, through cpanm. Or, npm, which seems to be its own world of constant flux.
How many levels could this go? Like running multiple emulators within each other, how many levels of plugin could you achieve? There’s probably a series of levels proceeding from tedious to barely maintainable to ridiculous.
End of year events are starting to get scheduled; watch for one near you.
- Holiday Hardware Swap plus more at NYCBUG this Wednesday.
- MeatBSD reservations are due today. If you will be near SEMIBUG’s Dec 17th event, respond now.
- FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report for 2019Q3.
- Valuable News – 2019/11/25.
- OPNsense 19.7.7 released.
- p2k19 Hackathon Report: Stefan Sperling on iwm(4) wifi progress, more.
- Writing a daemon using FreeBSD and Python, part 1 and part 2.
- A Look at PureDarwin. (via)
- How to use pkgsrc on Linux. (via)
- FreeBSD Journal for September/October.
- OpenBSD: General web deployment security best practice (httpd, doas, git).
- [How-To] PostgreSQL ascii logo for FreeBSD boot loader.
- unwind(8) gains “Happy Eyeballs”-like flexibility.
- Some notes on userspace routing.
- Debugging FFS Mount Failures.
- samsung ativ book 9. Hardware review, OpenBSD install.
There’s been a lot of BUG meetings lately; I think it’s time to form some more.
- Fixing up KA9Q-unix, or “neck deep in 30 year old codebases..” Packet radio!
- ZFS performance really does degrade as you approach quota limits.
- How To Set Up Buildbot on FreeBSD. (via)
- Next ChiBUG meeting: October 8th. I’ll post a reminder.
- pkgsrc-2019Q3 is out.
- Fuzzing Filesystems on NetBSD via AFL+KCOV. (PDF, via)
- NUMA Siloing in the FreeBSD Network Stack. (via)
- OPNsense 19.7.4 released.
- Project Trident 12-U8 available.
- FreeBSD 12.1-beta2 available.
sysupgrade(8)Added to OpenBSD 6.5.
- OpenBSD moving towards 6.6.
- Valuable News – 2019/10/01.
- Cannot destroy ‘pool/data’: dataset already exists.
- Support for the sgi platform discontinued. (OpenBSD)
A reminder: if you have a BSD user group and I’m not posting about your meetings, please make sure I know about it.
- The OpenBSD Ada Library. (via)
- BSD Link Roundup 7.29.
- Project Trident 19.07-U1 now available. No, wait, 12-U1 now available.
- Valuable News – 2019/07/29.
- Nvidia optimus drivers for FreeBSD. (via)
- OpenBGPD 6.5p1 released.
- Something blogged (on pkgsrcCon 2019).
- Installing Owntracks recorder on FreeBSD.
- Mod-able voxel engine written in common lisp. (via)
- Thief-like FOSS stealth game “The Dark Mod” running on OpenBSD. (via)
- Obviously related: Let’s Try on OpenBSD: The Dark Mod (Thief-inspired stealth game).
- Upcoming changes to LISA and SREcon.
A bumper crop this week!
- Video on OpenBSD, a presentation at NYCBUG by Andre Buskvekster, happening on the 7th. I’ll post a reminder on the 6th.
- OpenBSD ttyplot examples.
- Something blogged (on pkgsrcCon 2019).
- NetBSD 9.0 release process has started. Aarch64 support sounds good.
- TrueNAS 11.2 out.
- PHP and OpenBSD talk by Mario Campos on August 12th at ChiPHPUG lightning talks.
- OpenBGPD: The OpenBSD BGP internet routing daemon. The link source comments are the useful part.
- FreeBSD-SA-19:12.telnet: Were these claims even properly investigated, or did Juniper bully an advisory through? This is a spectator sport item, really, if you can’t tell from the title.
- Exploiting a No-Name FreeBSD Kernel Vulnerability. (via)
- Porting wine to amd64 on NetBSD, second evaluation report.
- Adapting TriforceAFL for NetBSD, Part 2.
- Enchancing Syzkaller Support for NetBSD, Part 2. Enhancing, I think it should be.
- Work-in-progress threading support in LLDB.
- Touchpad, Interrupted.
All over the map this week.
- Broken ports? (OpenBSD games)
- Realtime bandwidth terminal graph visualization.
- What’s the point of the Single UNIX Specification?
- Resuming ZFS send.
- A Chapter from the FBI’s History with OpenBSD and an OpenSSH Vuln. (via).
- OpenBSD and NetBSD machines at Open Source Conference 2019 Nagoya. (via)
- Valuable News – 2019/07/22.
- NetBSD audio – an application perspective. (via)
- Project Trident STABLE-12 Now Available. (via)
- A week of pkgsrc #13.
- OPNsense 19.7.1 released.
- New FreeNAS Mini Entry-Level & High-End Models Unveiled by iXsystems.
- Bill Joy interview, 1984. I once heard him described as a flat-food person. (PDF, via)
And overflow continues! I am secretly pleased.
- Nginx and acme-client on OpenBSD.
- random ip id comments. Linked cause OpenBSD and DragonFly are specially noted for IP ID handling.
- DTracing PostGres. (via).
- What is the overarching philosophy of BSD that defines the OS family?
OpenBSD::Unveil(3p)added to -current. I like this sort of external support.
- NeXT Software and Peripherals catalog Fall 1989. (via)
- ZFS on Linux still has annoying issues with ARC size. Will this affect ZFS on BSD? Dunno.
- Valuable News – 2019/07/15.
- A Tale of Two Spellcheckers. A PkgSrcCon 2019 talk. (via)
- GUIX and FreeBSD(AnyBSD) ?
- Want to learn more about BSD.
- FreeBSD.org outgoing mail system changes.
- FreeBSD Journal: FreeBSD for Makers.
- OPNsense 19.7 “Jazzy Jaguar” released.
- Seattle Gelato Meetup, 1 August 2019.
- “Sudo Mastery, 2nd Edition” open for tech review.
Done early, for once! I managed to complete this by Thursday night.
- LLDB: watchpoints, XSTATE in ptrace() and core dumps.
- OpenBSD Community goes Platinum for 2019!
- Streaming to Twitch using OpenBSD.
- High quality / low latency VOIP server with umurmur/Mumble on OpenBSD.
- OPNsense 19.1.10 released, and then OPNsense 19.7 RC1 released.
- vBSDCon’s Call for Papers is out. (via)
- What to try first, of Michael W. Lucas’s BSD and non-BSD books?
- Project Trident 19.06 Available. (via)
- FreeBSD 11.3 released.
- July 10 Plugins Update.
- fixing telnet fixes.
aggr(4)driver added to -current. I read it as aggro, can’t help it.
- Replacing a (silently) failing disk in a ZFS pool. (via)
- FreeBSD security issues in DragonflyBSD perspective.
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2019Q2 release. (via)
- Valuable News – 2019/07/08.
- Implementation of DRM ioctl Support for NetBSD kernel.
- Incorporating the memory-hard Argon2 hashing scheme into NetBSD.
- Exploiting FreeBSD-SA-19:02.fd. (via)
Done at the last minute!
- Porting NetBSD to the RISC-V. (via)
- FreeBSD 11.3Beta3 available.
- What’s in there in BSD for a Ubuntu user?
- pkgsrcCon 2019 in Cambridge, UK. (via)
- Sponsor Sudo Mastery, second edition, in print or ebook form.
- Celebrate UNIX50 and SDF32. (via)
- First Taste of DragonFly BSD. (via)
- Firewall appliance comparable to Netgate pfSense.
- ZFS vs. OpenZFS.
- Open ZFS vs. Btrfs | and other file systems.
- Lenovo and non-Windows operating systems.