If you have a newly installed Firefox on a newly installed DragonFly system, you might be unable to load your Firefox account on first load, like in this screenshot. A workaround is to load your profile on a different machine and copy it over. My guess is permissions for profile creation, but that’s just a guess.
But wait, you say, what about 6.2.0? I performed my biyearly tagging error and screwed up the 6.2.0 tag, so we’re releasing with 6.2.1. On the plus side, this last minute redo let two bug fixes creep in that would have been in a later 6.2.1 anyway. This will be your first chance to try NVMM/Qemu support if you follow releases and not bleeding edge.
Merry Christmas! I am probably opening presents or poking my children to wake up and open presents hurry hurry, as you read this.
- helloSystem 0.7 is out.
- FreeBSD, Jails and SYSV IPC. (via)
- FreeBSD: 2021 in Review: Advocacy.
- FreeBSD: 2021 in Review: Infrastructure Support.
- FreeBSD Foundation Q3 2021 Status Update. Foundation, not Project.
- OpenVPN on OpenBSD in its own rdomain to prevent data leak.
- [talk] Linux Compat on FreeBSD. A tip for better compatibility.
- OpenBSD on MeLE Quieter2.
- Persistency management of memory based filesystem on OpenBSD.
- Valuable News – 2021/12/20.
- SSH Agent Restriction.
- Clang upgraded to version 13. (OpenBSD)
Longtime readers won’t be surprised by any of the content, but there’s a DragonFly overview at MakeUseOf.
It’s on Jitsi so you can totally attend. The announcement also mentions the next three months of presentations and who’s coming in to present. There’s some good (not necessarily BSD) content on the way.
If you are running bleeding-edge DragonFly _and_ installed the newest dports binary package build _and_ you are using Samba, you may need to update and rebuild.
Linked here cause maybe it’ll help someone else with synproxy and pf in DragonFly: synproxy state doesn’t work in Packet Filter.
Some history, some games.
- tmpfs-13, an experimental hellosystem build.
- Latest iortcw [Return to Castle: Wolfenstein] on OpenBSD.
- What every IT person needs to know about OpenBSD Part 3: That packet filter. (via)
- FreeBSD Quarterly Report, 2021Q3.
- Installing and Operating 4.3BSD-tahoe UNIX on the VAX (1988). (via)
- FreeBSD/Ubuntu Dual-boot testbed using Desktop Hardware. (via)
- GhostBSD online meetup, December 11.
- Call For Testing: Removing and hardening sensitive files.
- Valuable News – 2021/11/15.
- Demystifying OpenZFS 2.0. BSD-oriented.
- OpenBSD and Linux comparison: data transfer benchmark. Interesting results… Excessive ACKing?
These are extended so HAM-BUG may still be meeting when you read this.
ChiBUG is meeting tonight at 6PM at Giordano’s. Go if you are near Chicago.
Classic games as a mini-theme.
- The Instruction Set Edition. Starts at System/360 and goes on. (via)
- Reviving PalmOS. (It’s Pumpkin!) (via)
- Quake in 13kb. (via)
- Angband in WASM. (via)
- A Vim Guide For Experts. (via)
- Decoding Voyager 1. (via)
- Apple II Double High Resolution Graphics (DHGR) – Pushing Limits. (via)
- In Search of David Long’s 751-point “Adventure”. (via)
- Re-visiting Gopher on A/UX. (via)
- So what is the deal with A/UX anyways? (via)
- geoGopher 2.0: a gopher client for Commodore GEOS. Getting silly. (via)
- The Forgotten World of Teletype Computer Games. (via)
- NetHack Challenge. (via)
- Public Domain Operating System. (via)
- A different kind of keyboard. Arpeggio. (via)
- Generating weird files. (via)
I forgot to link to BSD Now 421: ZFS eats CPU on Thursday!
- Valuable News – 2021/09/20.
- Ghost in the Shell – Part 7 – ZSH Setup.
- GhostBSD build tool development visualization, 2014-2021.
- Migrating from Apache/WordPress to relayd/httpd/Hugo.
- Technology Roadmap. (FreeBSD) I support this idea of publishing plans.
- Improving GDB register model compatibility in LLDB.
- Cruelty Squad brings Executive Mindset to OpenBSD.
- OPNsense 21.7.3 released.
- php_mail() on FreeBSD and WordPress. (via)
- Automatically lock screen on OpenBSD using xidle and xlock.
- OpenBSD on the Vortex86DX CPU.
- “DNSSEC Mastery, 2nd Edition” Cover Reveal. BSD front and center.
I installed new SSL certificates for this server over the weekend and I have to say, Let’s Encrypt and certbot are the easiest SSL setup process I’ve ever done. It worked exactly as expected on DragonFly.