If you are near Stockholm, go to the Stockholm BUG meeting, tomorrow. I’m posting it a bit ahead of time to account for time zone difference.
Happy leap day!
- RSVP to the ChiBUG mailing list if you are attending the March 10th meeting, in its new location.
- The Vixie talk at NYCBUG is this week; this is worth making an extra trip for.
- Critical OpenSMTPd update.
- FreeBSD 12.0 EOL.
- A Q&A with the FreeBSD Foundation.
- Valuable News – 2020/02/10, 2020/02/17, and 2020/02/24. Clearly I am behind.
- FreeBSD Enterprise Storage at PBUG.
- dig(1), host(1) and nslookup(1) moved to /usr/bin.
- a2k20 Hackathon Report: Ken Westerback on
xhci(4),dhclient(8), and scsi.
- OpenBSD Foundation 2019 campaign wrapup.
- FOSDEM 2020 videos available.
- OPNsense 20.1.1 released.
- Warning! Active Directory Security Changes Require TrueNAS and FreeNAS Updates.
- Full name of root account in BSD. A chunk of history I had never heard.
- Managing a database of vulnerabilities for a package system: the pkgsrc study case. (PDF, via)
- Low power BSD-based AP/router?
- HashLink port for running Dead Cells. (via)
The next scheduled meeting for SEMIBUG is tonight. Go, if you are near.
Hamilton, Ontario, is having what I think is the inaugural meeting for their BUG, tonight. That’s I think the closest one to me so far.
Also, the Polish BUG is meeting tonight. I say “tonight” for both of these, but they are very different time zones.
The Dusseldorf BSD.nrw BUG is also also meeting tonight. Second Tuesdays are popular!
This week’s BSD Now has links to a number of about-BSD articles, as usual. Take note – there’s links to two European BUG meetings I didn’t have noted, under Beastie Bits.
BUGs BUGs BUGs this week. I’ll make sure to note the events again when they get closer, too.
- Cataclysm – Dark Days Ahead. Turn-based apocalyptic survival, open source and probably runs on BSD. (via)
- NYCBUG is looking for speakers for I assume February and April; March was I think filled after this was written.
- SemiBUG’s next meeting is February 18th.
- ChiBUG’s next meeting is February 11th at the normal place; the March 10th meeting will be at the Oak Park Library.
- OpenBSD on DigitalOcean.
- An Excess of Operating Systems. Not directly BSD related, but the logo is there.
- rebound(8) removed. (OpenBSD)
- Valuable News – 2020/01/20.
- The prekern architecture. (via)
- BSD Weekly Issue 4. I missed the first 3. (via)
- Migrating FreshPorts from one db server to another.
- FreeBSD translations via Weblate.
- The History of BSD and IP Stacks with Rodney Grimes, a podcast.
- u2k20 Hackathon Report: Tracey Emery on GotWeb.
- u2k20 Hackathon Report: Alexandr Nedvedicky on PF anchors work.
Unofficial theme: conventions. There’s lots of options this year; you should go. If you are reading this, you’re the right demographic to enjoy one.
- Upgrading FreeBSD from 11.3 to 12.1.
- VVVVVV seems to work fine on OpenBSD (6.6-current #595).
- ReDoomEd – works on BSD. (via)
- BSDCan 2020 is June 3-6 in Ottawa, and the Call for Papers ends tomorrow.
- Other BSD-related conferences. (via)
- SEMIBUG’s next meeting is next Tuesday, with Michael Lucas talking about SNMP. He knows.
- The slides from the January 8th NYCBUG meeting are available, showing off notqmail. For further edification, here’s a podcast on the same topic.
- iked(8) automatic IPv6 blocking removed. (OpenBSD)
- Improving the ptrace(2) API and preparing for LLVM-10.0.
- Working towards LLDB on i386.
- GSoC 2019 Final Report: Incorporating the memory-hard Argon2 hashing scheme into NetBSD. Completed just in time for GSoC 2020.
- OPNsense 19.7.9 released.
- Pinebook-Pro with Manjaro Linux running accelerated qemu-system-aarch64 FreeBSD -current. Emulated, so the comment there led me to this tweet about NetBSD on Pinebook.
- LPI and BSD working together.
- Switching DistroWatch over to FreeBSD – AMA.
- Valuable News – 2020/01/13.
- Using the OpenBSD ports tree with dedicated users.
- Run broot on FreeBSD. Can’t use without saying “I am broot!” over and over.
ChiBUG meets tomorrow at the usual place. Go, if you are near.
No theme evolved, but lots more links this week.
- Nextcloud 17 on FreeBSD 12.1.
- BSD user groups in Italy. (via)
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2019Q4 release. (via)
- HEADS UP: Wayland and WebRTC enabled for NetBSD 9/Linux. (pkgsrc, via)
- Unlock Your UNIX Laptop with Your Phone. I normally pull vermaden items directly from RSS, but the Lobste.rs comments may also be interesting.
- Valuable News – 2020/01/06.
- The BSDCan 2020 call for papers closes on the 19th; get yours in soon!
- ChiBUG meets on the 14th. I’ll post a reminder.
- Using rsnapshot for easy backups.
- Archives are important to retain and pass on knowledge. Someday, you will thank you.
- Firefox pkg for 6.6-stable will not receive latest updates. (OpenBSD)
- FreeBSD end-of-year recap by adridg. FreeBSD, Calamares.
- Hunspell on FreeBSD. (via)
- Bastille Containers on FreeBSD.
- Related: A practical guide to containers on FreeNAS for a depraved psychopath.
- OpenBSD on DigitalOcean. The comments in the source link note you can get any BSD installed that way.
The next NYCBUG meeting is tomorrow, January 8th. It’s not the normal location. Go if you are near.
I managed to miss the Thursday update to BSDNow (#329) – Michael W. Lucas is interviewed mostly about his
unnatural love of gelato BSD books , and he’s always an entertaining talker.
- NomadBSD – Installation and First Impressions. (via)
- Building Ansible Training Environment on FreeBSD. (via)
- This is another reason to go to BUG meetings.
- January 8th: next NYCBUG meeting, “What is notqmail?“. Note different location than usual.
- FreeNAS 11.2-U7 is out, and a FreeNAS Hardware Guide. Speaking of which, FreeNAS 2020 plans, which mention bringing the interface to non-FreeBSD systems. What’s driving that? OpenSSH Key Shielding. (via)
- Block bad hosts with PF. (via)
- Packaging, Vendoring, and How It’s Changing. Related to BSD packaging. (via)
- New PlayOnBSD Steam Grpup [sic] with Curator List of Games for OpenBSD.
- Valuable News – 2019/12/16.
- e2k19 Hackathon Report: Stefan Sperling on GoT and wireless.
- Arduino Development on OpenBSD.
The BSD.nrw Dusseldorf-Wersten BSD user’s group next meeting is on the 20th. Go, if you are near.
Lots of variety this week.
- NetBSD Advent Calendar 2019. (via)
- ARM64 and BSD discussion.
- Notqmail, the presentation topic for the January NYCBUG meeting and maybe for SEMIBUG at some point too.
- HAMBSD, presented at NorthernRST. (via)
- BSD-Licensed Combinatorics library/utility. This is neat.
- “The Microsoft LSG (former Open Source Technology Center) FreeBSD Team is pleased to announce the availability of FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE on Azure.”
- BSDCan 2020’s Call for Papers is out.
- December 2019 Infrastructure Status. (HardenedBSD)
- KDE plasma flavor now available. (FuryBSD)
- Developers shouldn’t distribute their own software. Touches on BSD ports. “Note: This article presumes that proprietary/nonfree software is irrelevant, and so should you.”
- Clang build bot now uses two-stage builds, and other LLVM/LLDB news.
- Manage Contacts the UNIX Way.
- FreeBSD Desktop – Part 19 – Configuration – Plank – Skippy-XD.
- Valuable News – 2019/12/09.
- Learning from OpenBSD can make computers marginally less horrible. (via)
- Artworks for the Euro BSD Con 2020 in Austria.
- Infinity Engine on OpenBSD.
- Meet Radiant Award Recipient Claudio Jeker.
- Playing CrossCode within a web browser.