Jim Keenan is speaking tomorrow at the NYC Perlmongers meeting about testing on non-Linux platforms. i.e. BSD. Go, if you are near.
The first news item about pfSense is not necessarily new, but new to me.
- The next major release of pfSense is going to be significantly different. (other info)
- OpenBSD Gaming Resource,
- PkgsrcCon 2018. (via)
- What is your experience with Dragonfly as a user desktop?
- speaking at mug.org 10 April 2018.
- FreeBSD to be Featured at SCaLE 16x.
- 8 months with TrueOS. (via)
- This Tuesday at SemiBUG: QubeOS vs OpenBSD.
- NetBSD Spectre/Meltdown summary. (via)
- Not merging stuff from FreeBSD-HEAD into production branches, or “hey FreeBSD-HEAD should just be production”
- Quickly build and test applications across different BSD kernels with tonixxx.
- *BSD projects and Google Summer of Code.
- Broadcom 43xx 1.0 driver for MBP mid 2014.
- OPNsense 18.1.4 released.
There’s no speaker scheduled, but NYCBUG is having a meeting this Wednesday at 6:30 PM. Go, if you are near.
Another across-the-BSDs week.
- What’s Next for Feature Development in FreeNAS/TrueNAS?
- Description of the 1969 proto-Unix system based on a 2812 line PDP-7 assembly kernel. (via)
- The Known Costs of Security Embargoes.
- Military Grade Data Wiping In FreeBSD With BCWipe.
- “Has Linux lost its way?” comments prompt Debian developer to revisit FreeBSD after 20 years. (via)
- Christos Zoulas’s recent NYCBUG talk on reproducible builds in NetBSD is now available as video.
- How do I make quiet build/compile server for home ?
- Libreoffice failing to start after upgrade to 18.104.22.168 40m0(Build:2) (on NetBSD).
- Question about a distro.
- Every Journey Starts with a FAIL. (via)
- Meltdown fix committed by guenther@. Note the DragonFly cross-pollination.
Here’s everything I know about it.
Nick Holland is giving a talk tonight on “Scripting Tips & Hacks” at SemiBUG. “Nick has been scripting roughly since scripts were hard-coded into
plugboards.” Go, see, if you are near Michigan.
Reached overflow again! That secretly makes me happy.
- Discord channels for BSD’s?
- SemiBUG’s speaker schedule for the next few months is published. Note next meeting is on the 20th.
- SVS to mitigate meltdown. (NetBSD)
- Unix Architecture Evolution from the 1970 PDP-7 to the 2018 FreeBSD. Another FOSDEM video, which I note because it shows code history imported back for multiple decades.
- Show HN: OpenBSD Email Service – A free-email alternative. (via)
- FreeBSD/EC2 history.
- Under which circumstances is NetBSD a better option than the other BSDs?
- Citrix ICA Receiver Support in BSDs.
- SSH Mastery 2/e out. Technically not a BSD-specific book, but you know the author was using BSD as the base, and includes it in the material.
- Which BSD distro is suitable as a Linux QEMU host if someone is curious about BSD?
- Trying iocage to get an old version of FreeBSD.
- Google Summer of Code and FreeBSD, NetBSD.
Another BSD User Group event tomorrow, the 7th: HELBUG, a brand new BUG starting in Helsinki, Finland. The announcement has details on where to find it and what they’ll be doing. Go, if you are near.
More user group news: Helsinki, Finland, has a new BSD User Group: HelBUG. First meeting is February 7th. There’s no mailing list/site that I know of, yet.
The Semibug Christmas dinner is tomorrow. They need reservations, so if you want to go and haven’t told anyone yet – hurry!
KnoxBUG has a meeting tonight, and John Hixson will be presenting “Setting up Samba for a Mixed Network of Windows and Mac“. Go, if you are near Knoxville.
One month to Christmas!
- Anyone with ARM laptop experience?
- Hitler Quote Controversy In the BSD Community. I haven’t noticed anything.
- Semibug Christmas dinner: 19 December 2017.
- Official OpenBSD 6.2 CD set – the only one to be made!
- p2k17 Hackathon report: Antoine Jacoutot on ports+packages progress.
- Lumina 1.4.0 released.
- DiscoverBSD for 2017/11/20.
- Any interest in a continuous integration service with BSD build boxes?
- The strongest KASLR, ever?
- UNIX kernel system calls.
- This is how you can port your rust application to FreeBSD. (via)
- OPNsense 17.7.7 released, OPNsense 17.7.8 released, and OPNSense vs. Netgate.
- Converting a Dell R710 into a ZFS-based FreeBSD 11.1 tape library bacula-sd followed by R710 – getting the drives ready.
- FreeBSD/RISC-V and Device Drivers. PDF. (via)
- OpenBSD ELF Auxiliary Vector Information Leak. (via)
A good variety this week.
- Building software with Ravenports.
- “SSH Mastery, 2nd Ed” News, Sponsorships, and Cover.
- LISA 2017 Conference Recap.
- LibreSSL 2.6.3 released. (via)
- First Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition preorders available.
- GhostBSD 11.1 RC1 is ready! (via)
- p2k17 Hackathon reports: 1 2 3 4 5.
- Why did we build our solution on top of FreeBSD?
- Nearly Online Zpool Switching Between Two FreeBSD Machines.
- Upcoming SemiBUG workshop suggestion.
- Open source Visio-ish network diagramming. (From a BSD list, so I’m linking it here.)
- pfSense – Cisco Aironet AP’s (only 1 works, all identical).
- NAT through pfSense question.
- Ilja van Sprundel – Are all BSDs are created equally? Video, unfortunately picking “winners”. (via)
- 4.2BSD on SIMH vax with networking. (via)
- NetBSD on Allwinner SoCs Update. (via)
This was an easy week for finding links.
- API provisioning for BCHS web apps. Looks like there’s a new near-monthly article about using BCHS near-monthly, which I did not know. For example: kwebapp. (via)
- Next planned NYCBUG meeting: January 3rd.
- FOSDEM 2018 will have a BSD Devroom; the call for papers is out now – due the 26th.
- os-test. Lots of BSD results. (via)
- Windows 10, VirtualBox 5.2.0 w/ FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT Guest.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Report.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Recap.
- PFSense for PCI compliant network?
- Two-factor authentication for SSH on FreeBSD 11 – Part 1 – SSH Key+Account Password. (via)
- How to use bta2dpd(8) with Bluetooth headphone under NetBSD-current. (via)
- ZFS Feature Flags.
NYCBUG doesn’t have a technical presentation scheduled for November, they are having an untechnical social meeting at Suspenders, tonight. Go, if you are near NYC.