Brian Reynolds will be presenting on “Everyday ZFS” at the next NYCBUG meeting, tomorrow, at the usual location. Go, if you are near.
If you are near the Chicago area, go to the ChiBUG meeting happening tomorrow night.
I have a backlog of more BSD links to add, beyond this – it was a busy week!
- ChiBUG meets this Tuesday.
- Developers: How PINE64 is creating a community to compete with Raspberry Pi’s. Linked because of the apparently-decent BSD support on PINE64 stuff. (via)
- And now for something completely different: NetBSD on the last G4 Mac mini (and making the kernel power failure proof). (via)
- FreeBSD turns 26. (via)
- OpenBSD Is Now My Workstation. (via)
- Without a GUI–How to Live Entirely in a Terminal. I didn’t double-check for availability, but it’s essentially a list of ports to install. (via)
- GSoC 2019 Report: Adding NetBSD KNF to clang-format, Part 1.
- Porting Wine to amd64 on NetBSD, first evaluation report.
- Porting NetBSD to HummingBoard Pulse, Part 1.
- Write your own fuzzer for NetBSD kernel! [Part 1].
- Forking code support in ptrace(2).
- Let’s Play on OpenBSD: Diablo.
- Linux LVM on Openbsd?
- Valuable News – 2019/07/01.
- BSD Kernel Question from A Linux User.
Matt Parnell is presenting Asterisk and FreePBX on FreeBSD at SEMIBUG’s monthly meeting, tomorrow, in Troy, Michigan. Go, if you are near.
Credit goes to SEMIBUG for creating a Google Calendar which makes it slightly more likely I’ll catch the meeting and post about it. Also, a nostalgia moment about the bad old days: I am so glad specialized hardware is no longer needed just to get on the phone network, since VoIP is widespread these days. I hated dealing with flaky PRI lines.
There’s a BSD User Group meeting in Düsseldorf, tomorrow. Go, if you are near. Speaking/reading German probably helps.
I have more links than I expected.
- Brief netbsd.org outages tomorrow.
- SEMIBUG vmm hypervisor demo on the 21st.
- WireGuard on OpenBSD. (via)
- No itch to scratch.
- Simple shared folder with Samba on OpenBSD 6.5.
- Confusion with used/free disk space in ZFS.
- Valuable News – 2019/05/09.
- BSDCan 2019 Auction Items, and next Beaks novel.
- Video of live reading of “FreeBSD Journal” column.
- Overview of ZFS Pools in FreeNAS.
- Intel MDS. A problem not specific to any one BSD, really. (via)
- Bad utmp implementations in Glibc and FreeBSD. (via)
- syzkaller found a bug.
- Keep Crashing Daemons Running on FreeBSD. First three words are a potential band name. (via)
- HumbleBundle Spring Sale – OpenBSD Highlights.
The last weather station link is a real gem.
- BSDCan 2019 details.
- The Open Source Financial Developers Association could use some BSD testing.
- iXsystems Takes the Plunge with Liquid Immersion Servers.
- Announcing Google Summer of Code 2019 projects. (NetBSD)
- Improvements in forking, threading, and signal code. (NetBSD)
- Valuable News – 2019/05/06.
- Simple way to generate strong passwords. (via)
- My Bash Script to Brighten up your BSD box by wallpapers from Reddit. (via)
- OpenBSD, httpd & WordPress: Making it work. (via)
- OPNsense 19.1.7 released.
- OmniOS – r151030 – Stable and LTS Release is out.
- ZFS Implementation in Python. (via)
- Supporting Go Modules in pkgsrc (Part 2). (via)
- A weather station fit for a PDP-11. This is gloriously useless.
I’m still not making through all the stuff I need to link to, but this is enough to keep you busy for today.
- The FreeBSD 2019 Community Survey.
- Some useful features of (GNU)
datefor things like time conversion. Compares to the FreeBSD version.
- ZFS on Linux on FreeBSD for testing. Argh.
- Informal CDBUG session this week – speak up if you are near.
- Next Batch of Updated Plugins and How to Recover from Failed Plugin Updates. (iXSystems)
- OpenBSD automatic upgrade. (via)
- Mount your ZFS datasets anywhere you want.
- Valuable News?-?2019/04/29.
- stardew valley not working on openbsd 6.5 -current.
- LLDB: extending CPU register inspection support.
- What are the differences between Linux and OpenBSD? (via)
- Writing Exploit-Resistant Code With OpenBSD. (via)
- CFT: FreeBSD Package Base.
- TrueCommand: Manage Multiple FreeNAS and TrueNAS Systems.
The May NYCBUG meeting is tomorrow night, at 6:30 PM at Suspenders. The presentation is “Lookup Data Structures in the FreeBSD Kernel“. Go, if you are near.
Tonight’s KnoxBUG meeting is canceled at the last minute due to a family emergency. Don’t go, if you are near.
See the page for details, and go if you are near. I’m saying “coming up” because there’s a big time zone difference between here and there.
Nicely mixed topics this week.
- It’s several years old, but worth viewing: .ike’s presentation of “Shell Fu” from NYCBUG, as video. Also: May event speaker needed. (via)
- The FreeBSD-12 support model.
- “OpenVMS vs. Unix” (antagonists or sisters?).
- Previous link via Nixers Newsletter 121.
- Back in the Day: UNIX, Minix and Linux. The author rewrote wump(6) for 4.3 BSD.
- Looking for a worm and encrypted storage solution. FreeNAS + Greentec.
- OpenSSH 8.0 released. (via)
- Create a dedicated user for ssh tunneling only. OpenBSD as the example platform.
- Deploying munin-node with drist. Probably could be done on any BSD.
- Valuable News – 2019/04/15.
- Next Polish BSD user group meeting: April 25th. I’ll post a reminder.
- Moving your IMAP server to a third party: FastMail. FastMail is a mail host I’ve heard recommendations for multiple times.
- GhostBSD 19.04 Now Available. (via)
- docbook2mdoc-1.0.0 released.
- t2k19 Hackathon Report: On rsync, ssh, and ports cruft.
- t2k19 Hackathon Report: unwinding in Taipei.
- Setting up a new Dovecot server on FreeBSD with an OSX mail.app client.
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2019Q1 release.
- BSD Link Roundup 4.12.
- battery consuming battery software.
Lots of BUG news this week; thank you all for the leads on groups to watch.
- Talking Jails at Semibug, 9 April 2019. Note the meeting has been moved up a week.
- “FreeBSD Mastery: Jails” and a new novella.
- April 9th Meetup. ChiBUG.
- Rusted ravens: Ravenports march 2019 status update. There’s some DragonFly stuff in there I haven’t had a chance to link to.
- How to use NetBSD on a Raspberry Pi. (via)
- Serenity: x86 Unix-like operating system for IBM PC-compatibles. Almost UNIX, almost BSD. (via)
- Before Unix: An Early History of Timesharing Systems. Influences on BSD.(via)
- OpenRA imported – game engine recreation for RTS games of the Command & Conquer family. (via)
- Project Trident 18.12-U8 Available. (via)
- Removing PF. (via)
- Silent Fanless FreeBSD Server – Redundant Backup. (via)
- LLDB/LLVM report for March 2019. NetBSD.
- Continuation of signal semantics improvements. NetBSD.
- iked curve25519 group number change. OpenBSD.
- Valuable News – 2019/04/01.
- Sega Dreamcast Running NetBSD. (via)
- UNIX and BSD Discord/Matrix Servers.
- BSD Router Project 1.92 is now available. (via)
“Verification As Code of Infrastructure As Code” is being presented tonight at 6:45 PM at NYCBUG by Raul Cuza. Go, if you are near.
A reminder: tell me about bugs.
- If you missed the most recent NYCBUG meeting, here’s the video: Maintaining qmail in 2019 by Amitai Schleier. (thanks, bsdtv)
- Next NYCBUG meeting, in a few days: Verification As Code of Infrastructure As Code. I’ll post a reminder.
- Removing PF. NetBSD. (via)
- OpenBSD testing wiki. (via)
- Baxx – Unix-friendly backup service. (via)
- WireGuard for NetBSD. Slides from AsiaBSDCon 2019. (via)
- The tilde.institute of OpenBSD Education. (via)
- AsiaBSDCon 2019 Proceedings. (via)
- nixers newsletter 118.
- FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report – Fourth Quarter 2018.
- SoloBSD 19.03-STABLE.
- Valuable News – 2019/03/25.
- using syncthing between my OSX laptop and my FreeBSD server.
- sysctlview, a sysctl explorer. (via)
- OS108 released. (via)
- a2k19 hackathon report from Ken Westerback.
- “FreeBSD Mastery: Jails” ebook escaping!
- Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6, using OpenBSD.