Still a backlog, no matter how much I link.
- HAMBSD. (via)
- vBSDCon 2019 trip report from iXSystems.
- Sponsorships open for SNMP Mastery. A summary post, too.
- Agenda for the next SEMIBUG meeting on the 17th.
- Using FreeBSD with Ports (2/2): Tool-assisted updating.
- Cool, but obscure X11 tools. More suggestions in the source link.
- soso: A Simple Unix-like Operating System. For comparison. (via)
- More on FreeBSD Refcount Overflows. (via)
- Rumpkernel assisted fuzzing of the NetBSD file system kernel code in userland. (via)
- Why (and how) we use OpenBSD at VidiGuard. (via)
- TrueNAS 11.2 and FreeNAS 11.2-U5 now available.
- scripts for monitoring vulns in FreeBSD jails.
- Valuable News – 2019/09/09.
- OpenBSD on the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (7th Gen).
- [ports] rss2email update, save config before updating.
- DoH disabled by default in Firefox. You should do this everywhere.
Mentioning it here because it’s timely: the Vintage Computer Festival Midwest is happening this weekend, and if I wait until the normal day I would post this – Sunday in Lazy Reading – it will be too late. Go if you are anywhere near. (Credit goes to joshua stein on the ChiBUG mailing list – don’t forget their meeting next Tuesday.)
I have an RSS backlog now.
- ChiBUG meets this Tuesday.
- FreeBSD core team appoints a WG to explore transitioning from Subversion to Git. Part of the recent status report. (via)
- Related: Game of Trees.
- OpenBSD on fan-less Tuxedo InfinityBook 14″ v2. (via)
- How to configure a network dump in FreeBSD?
- 6.6-beta has been tagged.
- Package updates for -stable branch now available for amd64, i386 soon, and arm64.
- Valuable News – 2019/09/02.
- The fate of MirOS Linux, and a birthday post.
snmp(1)added to -current.
- Project Trident 12-U5 now available.
- BitreichCON 2019 talks available.
- The Dark Mod, imported. (via)
- LLVM santizers and GDB regression test suite.
- “Sudo Mastery, 2nd Edition” now out! mwl has a non-BSD fiction release too.
- Related: he has shirts now too. Read the backs.
Tomorrow’s NYCBUG meeting is “Setting up a convenient working environment“, with Ivan Ivanov. Go, if you are near. It will be streamed but I don’t have a link for that at the time I’m writing this.
I have a number of BSD user group notifications here – please tell me if you have a group and I’m not regularly posting about it.
- NYCBUG meeting on the 4th: Setting up a convenient working environment, with Ivan Ivanov. I’ll post a reminder.
- ChiBUG is meeting on the 17th. RSVP on the mailing list if you are going. I’ll post a reminder.
- vBSDCon 2019 is happening next weekend, on September 5-7, in Reston, VA. Go if you are near; every report I read about last year’s event said it was a rollicking good time. The schedule is up.
- FreeBSD on RISC-V as a voting machine test. BSD is common for embedded, high-security hardware – and people tend to not know because it’s embedded, high-security hardware. (via)
- What happened to Bitrig? I haven’t heard anything in some years.
- ‘Cube 2: Sauerbraten‘ on FreeBSD.
- Checking your pf.conf file without leaving the editor.
- The Sudo Mastery hardcover.
- Gcc 4.2.1 to be removed before FreeBSD 13, a firm timeline. (via)
- Add [FreeBSD] kernel-side support for in-kernel TLS. (via)
- Project Trident 12-U4 now available.
- GSoC 2019 Report: Adding NetBSD KNF to clang-format, Final.
- GSoC 2019 Report: Implementation of compat_netbsd32 DRM ioctl/Getting DRM applications running under compat-linux.
- Adapting TriforceAFL for NetBSD, Part 3.
- Enchancing [sic] Syzkaller Support for NetBSD, Part 3.
- Making sense of OpenBSD ‘
pfctl -ss‘ output for firewall state tables.
- Valuable News – 2019/08/26.
- OPNsense® partners with Sunny Valley Networks.
- OPNsense 19.7.3 released.
- [ports] Datadir added to default postgres flags.
- link-local address change.
- Using FreeBSD with Ports (1/2): Classic way with tools.
Andre Buskvekster is presenting at NYCBUG about video on OpenBSD, tomorrow. Go, if you are near.
A bumper crop this week!
- Video on OpenBSD, a presentation at NYCBUG by Andre Buskvekster, happening on the 7th. I’ll post a reminder on the 6th.
- OpenBSD ttyplot examples.
- Something blogged (on pkgsrcCon 2019).
- NetBSD 9.0 release process has started. Aarch64 support sounds good.
- TrueNAS 11.2 out.
- PHP and OpenBSD talk by Mario Campos on August 12th at ChiPHPUG lightning talks.
- OpenBGPD: The OpenBSD BGP internet routing daemon. The link source comments are the useful part.
- FreeBSD-SA-19:12.telnet: Were these claims even properly investigated, or did Juniper bully an advisory through? This is a spectator sport item, really, if you can’t tell from the title.
- Exploiting a No-Name FreeBSD Kernel Vulnerability. (via)
- Porting wine to amd64 on NetBSD, second evaluation report.
- Adapting TriforceAFL for NetBSD, Part 2.
- Enchancing Syzkaller Support for NetBSD, Part 2. Enhancing, I think it should be.
- Work-in-progress threading support in LLDB.
- Touchpad, Interrupted.
Hopefully I am not too late posting this: SEMIBUG meets tonight, and the presentation is Eddie Thieda, talking about OpenBSD on the desktop.
Brian Reynolds will be presenting on “Everyday ZFS” at the next NYCBUG meeting, tomorrow, at the usual location. Go, if you are near.
If you are near the Chicago area, go to the ChiBUG meeting happening tomorrow night.
I have a backlog of more BSD links to add, beyond this – it was a busy week!
- ChiBUG meets this Tuesday.
- Developers: How PINE64 is creating a community to compete with Raspberry Pi’s. Linked because of the apparently-decent BSD support on PINE64 stuff. (via)
- And now for something completely different: NetBSD on the last G4 Mac mini (and making the kernel power failure proof). (via)
- FreeBSD turns 26. (via)
- OpenBSD Is Now My Workstation. (via)
- Without a GUI–How to Live Entirely in a Terminal. I didn’t double-check for availability, but it’s essentially a list of ports to install. (via)
- GSoC 2019 Report: Adding NetBSD KNF to clang-format, Part 1.
- Porting Wine to amd64 on NetBSD, first evaluation report.
- Porting NetBSD to HummingBoard Pulse, Part 1.
- Write your own fuzzer for NetBSD kernel! [Part 1].
- Forking code support in ptrace(2).
- Let’s Play on OpenBSD: Diablo.
- Linux LVM on Openbsd?
- Valuable News – 2019/07/01.
- BSD Kernel Question from A Linux User.
Matt Parnell is presenting Asterisk and FreePBX on FreeBSD at SEMIBUG’s monthly meeting, tomorrow, in Troy, Michigan. Go, if you are near.
Credit goes to SEMIBUG for creating a Google Calendar which makes it slightly more likely I’ll catch the meeting and post about it. Also, a nostalgia moment about the bad old days: I am so glad specialized hardware is no longer needed just to get on the phone network, since VoIP is widespread these days. I hated dealing with flaky PRI lines.
There’s a BSD User Group meeting in Düsseldorf, tomorrow. Go, if you are near. Speaking/reading German probably helps.
I have more links than I expected.
- Brief netbsd.org outages tomorrow.
- SEMIBUG vmm hypervisor demo on the 21st.
- WireGuard on OpenBSD. (via)
- No itch to scratch.
- Simple shared folder with Samba on OpenBSD 6.5.
- Confusion with used/free disk space in ZFS.
- Valuable News – 2019/05/09.
- BSDCan 2019 Auction Items, and next Beaks novel.
- Video of live reading of “FreeBSD Journal” column.
- Overview of ZFS Pools in FreeNAS.
- Intel MDS. A problem not specific to any one BSD, really. (via)
- Bad utmp implementations in Glibc and FreeBSD. (via)
- syzkaller found a bug.
- Keep Crashing Daemons Running on FreeBSD. First three words are a potential band name. (via)
- HumbleBundle Spring Sale – OpenBSD Highlights.