If you’re near Chicago, go to the ChiBUG meeting tonight at 6.
Accidentally OpenBSD-heavy this week.
- OpenBSD build KDE software using kdesrc-build tutorial for beginners.
- How old various Unix signals are.
- SEMIBUG: NetBSD and Security, Oct 18th. Online.
- We are stuck with
fgrep(unless you like beating people)
- A kiosk computer running OpenBSD
- Valuable News – 2022/10/10
- Running a Docker Host under OpenBSD using vmd(8)
- Ads blocking with OpenBSD unbound(8)
- Further memory protections committed to -current
- A Few of My Favorite Things About The OpenBSD Packet Filter Tools
- Automatic mounting of volumes on FreeBSD
The social meeting for NYCBUG is tonight, at Torch & Crown Brewing. Go, if you are near.
- Next NYCBUG social gathering is this Wednesday.
- Ultima Online’s 25th anniversary. Linked here cause it works on OpenBSD without Wine, according to the comment. (via)
- Announcing the pkgsrc 2022Q3 branch.
- How Rob Pike got hired by Dennis Richie.
- A DMD 5620 Terminal Emulator. This is a terminal I’ve never seen before.
- EuroBSDCon 2022, my first BSD conference (and how they are different).
- EuroBSDCon 2022.
- EuroBSDCon 2022.
- The Geeks way of checking what the outside wheather[sic] is like.
- Cartron asks what FreeBSD machines I use.
- Red Hat’s OpenShift vs FreeBSD Jails.
- Toolchains Adventures Q3 2022.
- Valuable News – 2022/09/26.
- How to trigger services restart after OpenBSD update.
I got subscribed to the UNIX Heritage Society mailing list and it’s already turned up some good stories.
ps(1)gains support for tree-like display of processes. OpenBSD, though it would be useful everywhere, hint, hint.
rcctl(8)gains a “
- Portable OpenSSH commits now SSH-signed.
- Sharing Dual-Licensed Drivers between Linux and FreeBSD.
- “interesting old-timey UNIXes” – I do not know where these intersect with the more well known branches of the family tree.
- Time overflows have always been with us.
- A fresh look at FreeBSD. (via)
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Unix Legacy. By Rob Pike. Note the timestamp, for 2 reasons.
- Valuable News – 2022/09/12.
- Installing BSD on an older Dell Laptop: having some issues.
- -current has moved to 7.2. OpenBSD.
- rpki-client 8.0 released.
- ChiBUG is meeting this Tuesday, the 20th.
I’m preposting this, so hopefully it is still accurate: SEMIBUG has a menu of lightning talks tonight. It’s online.
There’s an unofficial NYCBUG meetup, tomorrow at 6:45PM. Go, if you are near New York City.
SEMIBUG is having a presentation on Jupyter notebooks tonight, online. The presenter is using them for genome sequencing, so this should the interesting.
There’s multiple online and offline BUG meetings this month; go if you can.
- Unofficial social NYCBUG meeting, July 6th.
- Fear and loathing in FreeBSD, or qorg’s experiences with FreeBSD.
- Foundation Elects New Officers, Interviews Outgoing Board Members.
- How I would sell OpenBSD as a salesperson.
- FreeBSD 2022Q1 report.
- How do I prepare my own port for distribution?
- A little bit of fun – Booting the NetBSD 1.6.2 installer on my 486!
- Split Audio Files into Parts.
- Valuable News – 2022/06/27.
- Notable OpenBSD news you may have missed, 2022-06-28 edition.
- Port of GNUBoy to OpenBSD using DRM framebuffer and wscons (no X11).
- pluart(4) baud rate correction.
- Basic fix between pf tables and macros on FreeBSD.
- GhostBSD virtual meetup July 22nd.
It’s on Jitsi, so anyone can reach it. Tonight, 7 PM eastern.
It rhymes if you say it out loud. Jason Tubnor will present at 7 PM tonight (Detroit local time) on installing and configuring Xfce and KDE on FreeBSD.
RSVP if you are near Chicago and can go.
I’m on at SEMIBUG’s meeting right now.
I hope to have a recording to post later. Nnnnope! A lesson for you and me both; test recording before an actual event starts.