Even sysctl accesses can be made to handle multiprocessor environments. This can actually make a difference when you’ve got a lot of processors building a lot of software, as in all of dports.
This week is more eclectic than usual.
- How to boost your Vim productivity. As usual, the comments on the link location are nearly more useful than the target story. (via)
- Telegrams: still possible, even desirable, and legally binding. (via)
- An in-depth explanation of host names from Matthias Rampke on the DragonFly users@ list.
- PreTTY Screenshots. (via)
- The ultimate guide to analog control panels in sci-fi movies. (via)
- My Top 100 Programming, Computer and Science Books: Part Three
- “TIS-100, a game about rewriting corrupted code to fix a fictional ’80s computer.“
- On Tricks, Empty Rooms, and Basic Trap Design. (via)
- Goblinpunch, an endless supply of D&D-ish RPG ideas. (also via)
- VoIP honeypot results.
- The Underhanded C Contest winners. (via)
A more compact week.
- usesthis.com has a BSD category. (via)
- Another BSD technology comes to Windows.
- BSD Unix: Power to the people, from the code. 15 year old article. (via)
- Next CDBUG meeting is June 17th.
- BSD Magazine for May.
- DiscoverBSD for 2015/06/01.
- FreeBSD 8.4 is reaching end-of-life.
- “The launchd on FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD train is never coming“. (via)
- There seems to be some sort of merging between PC-BSD and FreeNAS build scripts – or something more complex is happening?
- FreeNAS 10 Hackathon.
- My FreeNAS Lab.
- Putting OpenBSD in the cloud.
- Replacements for OpenBSD 5.7 disc 2 have been shipped.
- There’s two new LibreSSL mailing lists.
- Yay, cross-pollination!
- OpenBSD now supports RTL8188CE wifi cards via rtwn(4).
- Duovero Gumstix boards are (or will be?) supported on FreeBSD.
- SRIOV support for Intel 10G cards on FreeBSD.
Those changes I mentioned yesterday for text console support? They’re in DragonFly-master now, along with a loader tunable to turn it on and off.
If you are using a DragonFly system with accelerated video, and you have noticed that you can’t return to a text console after exiting xorg – Sascha Wildner/Imre Vadasz have a branch for you to try. Please do so if you have time and are on master; this is the last big item to fix before the next release.
That’s Non Uniform Memory Architecture, and John Baldwin is talking about how it works on FreeBSD, tonight/now, in New York City for NYCBUG. There’s several more events this month with NYCBUG, so look at the announcement for tonight’s location and more dates.
You can now get temperature readings from your Radeon card under DragonFly.