Tomohiro Kusumi has been bringing in a large number of fixes to the msdos filesystem, mostly from FreeBSD, but from other sources. I’m not going to link to them all, cause there’s many over the last few weeks, but the good news is that there’s performance gains for this lowest-common-denominator filesystem.
ChiBUG meets tomorrow, the 8th. Go, if you are near Chicago.
Pre-posted in advance cause once again working through the weekend.
- BBSes: Partying Online Like It’s 1989. (via)
- The 25th Interactive Fiction Competition is Open.
- After Dark has been ported to Twitter.
- Text Rendering Hates You. (via)
- A computer built from NOR gates: inside the Apollo Guidance Computer. Wonderful pictures, as always.
- Feast of Legends. A RPG from the Wendy’s fast food chain. It’s a legit PDF rulebook, and looks like a D&D-style product, but everything is themed to match Wendy’s food. It’s bizarre. (via)
- This to That, answering how to glue two different substances together. Really! (via)
- Media Accounting 101: Appholes and Contracts, a long read about reading.
- Springer’s History of Computing series. Seriously in-depth; this is research, not light entertainment. (via)
- How to remove a part of a video using ffmpeg.
- “Night of the Lepus” was based on a book? Excellent use of the interrobang, and also you should see this movie.
- Reminiscences on 5.25″ floppy drives of the early 1980’s.
There’s been a lot of BUG meetings lately; I think it’s time to form some more.
- Fixing up KA9Q-unix, or “neck deep in 30 year old codebases..” Packet radio!
- ZFS performance really does degrade as you approach quota limits.
- How To Set Up Buildbot on FreeBSD. (via)
- Next ChiBUG meeting: October 8th. I’ll post a reminder.
- pkgsrc-2019Q3 is out.
- Fuzzing Filesystems on NetBSD via AFL+KCOV. (PDF, via)
- NUMA Siloing in the FreeBSD Network Stack. (via)
- OPNsense 19.7.4 released.
- Project Trident 12-U8 available.
- FreeBSD 12.1-beta2 available.
sysupgrade(8)Added to OpenBSD 6.5.
- OpenBSD moving towards 6.6.
- Valuable News – 2019/10/01.
- Cannot destroy ‘pool/data’: dataset already exists.
- Support for the sgi platform discontinued. (OpenBSD)
This week’s BSDNow, number 318, “The TrueNAS Library“, covers some links I’ve picked up before but also has BSD and presidential library news, an uncommon combo.
You should set hostname in /etc/rc.conf. I am mentioning this now because not doing it kept me from running X apps from a DragonFly system on a Windows 10 system with vcxsrv, and I wasted half an hour of my life figuring that out. Apparently this is a lesson I need to keep relearning.
Plan 9: Not dead, Just Resting, presented by Ori Bernstein, is happening tonight at the ever-mighty NYCBUG. Go, if you are near.