BSDNow episode 212 is out and I’m going to link it especially because I’ve been at work instead of posting like normal. Not surprisingly, it talks about the demise of Solaris and about vBSDCon and (links to videos from) BSDCan.
Not sure why, but there’s been a lot of BSD news the past few weeks. I am OK with that.
Late addition: NetBSD’s New York build cluster will be offline beginning Monday for about two weeks, which means no daily NetBSD or pkgsrc builds.
- FreeBSD package management with Pkg (2/2).
- [Semibug] next meeting: BSD accessibility.
- I3 instances and NVMe: booya! Or how you can build FreeBSD from the source in under 11 minutes vs. 12+ hours on a desktop. Is there something like ‘quickworld’ on FreeBSD? (via)
- iXsystems, Inc. is offering jobs to Sun/Oracle Refugees. (via)
- BSD building/testing machines? (via)
- Solaris to Linux Migration 2017. Some BSD mentions in there. (via)
- openbsd changes of note 628.
- Forward syslogs to a central server using TLS (OpenBSD). (via)
- A return-oriented programming defense from OpenBSD. (via)
- OPNsense 17.7.2 released.
- vBSDCon 2017 Conference Reflection.
- Screencasting with OpenBSD. (via)
- t2k17 Hackathon report: Ken Westerback on dhclient progress, developer herding.
The new look on undeadly.org sure is nice.
- RETGUARD, the OpenBSD next level in exploit mitigation, is about to debut.
- Can a BSD system replicate the performance of high-end router appliance? Benchmarking would A: show the answer and B: I bet show that the throughput needs of the poster were not as high as they thought.
- Which Unix had the first package manager?
- FreeBSD 10.4-BETA1 Available.
- subversion via ssh passphrase-less key. Really about capturing DNS changes.
- deraadt@ moves us to 6.2-beta!
- t2k17 Hackathon Reports: Daniel Jakots on updating ports, Nagios OpenBGPD plugin and…, Ian Sutton on ARM progress, My first time (Aaron Bieber), Philip Guenther: locking and libc, Andrew Hewus Fresh on Perl and Coffee, and No lock no cry… with CTF! (Martin Pieuchot).
- Kernel syspatches will soon be smaller thanks to KARL.
- PFsense <-> EdgeOS IPSec tunnels.
- Faster forwarding.
- AF3e status, 22 August 2017. That’s ‘Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition’.
- The Manifest – A podcast all about package management. I’m sure this will include BSD packaging systems at some point. (via)
- BSDCan 2017 videos have started being uploaded. (via)
A new episode of garbage has heaved forth, with an interview of Patrick Wildt from the recent Toronto hackathon.
I think I managed to avoid any theme this week.
- Smartisan Makes Another Iridium Donation to the OpenBSD Foundation. A phone manufacturer I was not familiar with.
- Interview with Andrew Tanenbaum.
- “If you do all the work, you can perform magic. But if you are asking others to help, nope.” (via)
- How to BSD + Plasma 5?
- t2k17 Hackathon Report: Bob Beck on buffer cache tweaks, libressl and pledge progress.
- t2k17 Hackathon Report: Ted Unangst OpenBSD with more ptys.
- The history of *nix package management.
- Undeadly to be Upgraded Next Week. To this!
Questions are this week’s accidental theme.
- Beta Update – Request for (more) Testing. (undeadly)
- UMPC compatible with BSD’s?
- Be your own VPN provider with OpenBSD (v2). (via)
- Any BSD with Skylake and Gnome?
- openbsd changes of note 626.
- htop. Mentioned because there is at least a passing BSD reference.
- BSDCam 2017 Trip Report: Michael Lucas. (via)
- August SemiBUG meeting rescheduled to the 22nd.
- From a comment here: discussion of the FreeBSD release process, from a heavy user.
- upcoming hackathon proposal: NYC BSD Tor bridges. Those monoculture stats for Tor are not good for Tor.
It’s accidental how-to week!
- OpenSMTPD under OpenBSD with SSL/VirtualUsers/Dovecot (via) and
- OpenSMTPD and Dovecot under OpenBSD with MySQL support and SPAMD. (via)
- Introducing anvil – Tools for distributing ssl certificates, plus examples of usage on FreeBSD.
- OpenBSD on the Huawei MateBook X.
- Add vmctl send and vmctl receive.
- openbsd changes of note 625
- BSDTW is in Taiwan, in November – and the call for papers is out. (via)
- Watch out for wxallowed.
- pfSense 2.3.4-p1 RELEASE Now Available!
- Blog about my blog. Self-hosting and dogfooding, both good ideas.
NeedsHas RSS! (via)
- BSD Pizza, a meetup in Portland, Oregon, on the 27th.
- Elvish: friendly and expressive shell for Linux, macOS and BSDs. Linked just because they bothered to mention BSD. (via)
- acme.sh: getting free SSL certificates – installation configuration on FreeBSD.
- Writing a NetBSD kernel module. (via)
- ZFS Is the Best Filesystem (For Now…) (via)
- Building an IPsec Gateway With OpenBSD. (via)
- AF3e Status, 17 July 2017. That’s Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition.
- Looking for a benchmark comparation between PF (OpenBSD) vs NPF (NetBSD)
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2017Q2 release (2017-07-10). (via)
- pkgsrcCon 2017 report and also slides/video. (via)
- Recommend BSD to Thinkpad users? Can’t find an actual thread, though.
- Porting NetBSD to Allwinner H3 SoCs. (via)
- OPNsense 17.7 RC1.
- OpenBSD and the Modern Laptop.
I’m late noting this week’s BSDNow – I’m also changing the capitalization, since BIND in this case is an acronym. No interview this week but discussion of various BSDCan 2017 reports.
Back to overflow, which sort of makes my life easier.
- BCHS: BSD, C, httpd, SQLite. Linked before, so comments on source links are where to look if you are already familiar with BHCS.
- Possible stack vulnerabilities in BSD-land.
- How to disable cores in OpenBSD?
- Nextcloud via httpd on OpenBSD. (via)
- MP-safe Networking in NetBSD. PDF, from BSDCan. (via)
- BSDCan 2017 Recap from iXSystems.
- Unix in Europe: between innovation, diffusion and heritage. October 19th, Paris, France. (via)
- The Stack Clash, via many places.
- pkgsrcCon 2017, in one week.
- PCIe adapters supporting long distance 10GB fiber? Note that this is for BSD-based, server-based routers. Follow the thread for lots of hardware talk.
- OpenBSD now has Trapsleds to make life harder for ROPers.
All over the map today.
- $3,200 per month for 5 megabytes of space: the first hard drives.
- csv,conf,v3, a cleverly named data conference. (via)
- Silicon Graphics’ IRIX and Magic Desktop return as Linux desktop. Nostalgia! (via)
- C64 Yourself. C64 palette applied to a picture. (via)
- Strategy headroom in roguelikes. (via)
- WiFi232 – An Internet Hayes Modem for your Retro Computer. (via)
- ESR Shares A Forgotten ‘Roots Of Open Source’ Moment From 1984.
- Plan9-9k: 64-bit Plan 9. (via)
- Leave Britney’s Command and Control Server Alone! Many places linked to this, but this is the best link text. (via)
- How Thou Canst Maketh a Fine Program in Fortran. (via)
- Best Board Games of Essen 2016. Complex games, too. (via)
- Warren Ellis’s podcast subscription list.
I think I’ve finally caught up on my BSD link backlog.
- d2k17 Hackathon Report: Ken Westerback on XS_NO_CCB removal and dhclient link detection.
- d2k17 Hackathon Report: Stefan Sperling on USB audio, WiFi Progress.
- NCIS: FreeBSD.
- UbuntuBSD is now DEAD!
- FreeBSD Core Team member: “[installer] might be the only part of OpenBSD that is friendly”
- Become FreeBSD User: Find Useful Tools.
- OPNsense 17.1.8 released.
- openbsd changes of note 623.
- FreeNAS newbie needing help linking to Active Directory.
- PKGSRC at The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee. (via)
- Measuring the weight of an electron. (via)
- BSDCan 2017 Auction Swag.
- pkgsrcCon 2017 in London. (via)
- NetBSD 8.0 release process underway.
- Reading OpenBSD source code daily. (via)
- Free getopt. It’s BSD history, though nobody explicitly says it. (via)
Even more overflow, pushing my pre-published posts forward.
- “Relayd and Httpd Mastery,” both the good and the bad.
- OpenBSD on the Xiaomi Mi Air 12.5″. (via)
- iXsystems’ TrueNAS Receives Veeam Backup Certification.
- What does this joke mean? Well, I get it.
- experiments with prepledge.
- pFSense / VLAN – Security.
- EuroBSDcon 2017 Talks & Schedule published (via)
- network transparent audio with sndiod and vmd
- FreeBSD ( -current) now has 64bit inodes.
- Docker on OpenBSD 6.1. (via)
- Fixing FreeBSD Networking on Digital Ocean. (via)
- Thinkpad X230 / NetBSD.
- Introducing RunBSD.info. And here’s the site.
- Pfsense and edge router combo?
- Netgate now offers global support. i.e. pfSense.
It’s long article title week!
- A PDF of the IPv6 handout, from the April SemiBUG meeting, is available.
- Adventures in Time, part 1: Interfacing an Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillator to a Computer Running NetBSD. (via)
- Replace the RC4 algorithm for generating in-kernel secure random numbers with Chacha20. (via)
- 9 lessons from 25 years of Linux kernel development. None of those lessons are specific to Linux; they apply to all the BSDs, for instance. (via)
- pfsense for a small ISP in both router and firewall settings?
- Rate your favorite BSD on…
- (finally) investigating how to get dynamic WDS (DWDS) working in FreeBSD!
- OPNsense 17.1.5 released.
- The many ways of running firefox on OpenBSD.
- Michael W. Lucas’s Penguicon 2017 Schedule.
- iXsystems TrueNAS Certified with Veeam Backup.
- OpenBSD 6.1 Song Released.
BSDNow 186 gets back into the convention grind after last week’s news about new roles: coverage of the recent AsiaBSDCon, and an interview of Philipp Buehler.