Sometimes you get 2 nice tips: I like seeing this NetBSD->FreeBSD->DragonFly cross pollination in this commit, and also now I know I can fsck a FAT volume on BSD.
3rd bonus: that last sentence sounds terribly rude.
cpdup(1), a DragonFly copying tool that really should be more used, now uses microseconds for comparison. This is probably related to the sysctl vfs.timestamp_precision also now using microseconds.
This probably won’t affect your usage of cpdup unless you are copying some very actively modified files, but I like to mention it in case someone feels like porting it to OpenBSD/NetBSD – it’s already in FreeBSD, though I assume it’s a slightly older version.
mrouted(8) is removed from DragonFly – but it’s available as a port if you need it.
I didn’t even know the leave(1) program existed, but now it takes slightly more flexible input.
You probably type “du -sh *” reflexively when looking at disk usage, or at least I do. On DragonFly, there’s also a -t option, which gives the simple file size on disk. That’s the amount of data that would need to move when copied; that may differ from other amounts because of compression at the filesystem level.
This recent change in kernel memory use may make booting faster. If you’re running -current, time your boot before and after this change, and see what the difference is. I’m always curious.
A recent implementation of SMAP would cause a panic on some machines; that’s now fixed (including on release). So if you had a panic from ACPI between May and now – please retry.
I didn’t realize this before, but you could not mount a nullfs(5) or tempfs(5) filesystem within a jail(8) on DragonFly… until now.
If you’ve ever been left watching a “press any key…” line at shutdown of your DragonFly system, there’s now a fix. It’s committed to release, too, so it’s available now.
While you’re at it, there’s a HAMMER2 bugfix that will also be brought in by updating.
It hasn’t been updated or used for some time, but libc_r was 20+ years old. Now it’s gone. You know someone younger than this code, or maybe even younger than the last time I talked about it.
If you are like me, you’ve typed “make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel …” about a zillion times. Now, you can encapsulate that process in a shorter statement: ‘make build-all install-all‘. The real benefit is these new steps also run in parallel to match the number of CPUs present, and logs to file instead of the console, automatically.
Some of the larger application sets on DragonFly have had trouble building, and inconsistent problems with that build. i.e. rust would fail, but in different parts of the build process, every time. It looks to be a problem with signal interaction, and there’s now much safer ways to do that on DragonFly.
That is going to require a full buildworld/buildkernel if you are on DragonFly-master, 5.7. Release/5.6 users are unaffected.
I link because they are good: 10% speedup. Or, because they made me laugh: “Basically, don’t use this.”
I like seeing cross–BSD synthesis on any system element – calendar, in this case.
Remember how I said dsynth defaults to txz (tarred, XZipped) ? I was apparently wrong and it was using tgz (tarred, gnuzipped). Now it really truly defaults to txz, for space.
There’s a vulnerability in file(1), CVE-2019-18218. It’s fixed in current and release versions of DragonFly. Update when you get a chance.
I thought this would happen: the nrelease(7) process can use binary packages to build DragonFly. (For the dports packages, not the base system.) This is very interesting to me, but also useful for anyone who wants to build a custom DragonFly; something I think more people could do.
This may be of most interest to me, since I’m usually the one building DragonFly releases. nrelease(7), which is used to build each release of DragonFly, now sticks to the default kernel config, and may use binary packages in the future. There’s some other changes but these are the ones I can describe most exactly; there might be more on the way.
zlib and dhcpcd are both updated in DragonFly… but my quick perusal of the commits makes it sound like bugfix only; no usage changes needed.