The Semibug Christmas dinner is tomorrow. They need reservations, so if you want to go and haven’t told anyone yet – hurry!
KnoxBUG has a meeting tonight, and John Hixson will be presenting “Setting up Samba for a Mixed Network of Windows and Mac“. Go, if you are near Knoxville.
One month to Christmas!
- Anyone with ARM laptop experience?
- Hitler Quote Controversy In the BSD Community. I haven’t noticed anything.
- Semibug Christmas dinner: 19 December 2017.
- Official OpenBSD 6.2 CD set – the only one to be made!
- p2k17 Hackathon report: Antoine Jacoutot on ports+packages progress.
- Lumina 1.4.0 released.
- DiscoverBSD for 2017/11/20.
- Any interest in a continuous integration service with BSD build boxes?
- The strongest KASLR, ever?
- UNIX kernel system calls.
- This is how you can port your rust application to FreeBSD. (via)
- OPNsense 17.7.7 released, OPNsense 17.7.8 released, and OPNSense vs. Netgate.
- Converting a Dell R710 into a ZFS-based FreeBSD 11.1 tape library bacula-sd followed by R710 – getting the drives ready.
- FreeBSD/RISC-V and Device Drivers. PDF. (via)
- OpenBSD ELF Auxiliary Vector Information Leak. (via)
A good variety this week.
- Building software with Ravenports.
- “SSH Mastery, 2nd Ed” News, Sponsorships, and Cover.
- LISA 2017 Conference Recap.
- LibreSSL 2.6.3 released. (via)
- First Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition preorders available.
- GhostBSD 11.1 RC1 is ready! (via)
- p2k17 Hackathon reports: 1 2 3 4 5.
- Why did we build our solution on top of FreeBSD?
- Nearly Online Zpool Switching Between Two FreeBSD Machines.
- Upcoming SemiBUG workshop suggestion.
- Open source Visio-ish network diagramming. (From a BSD list, so I’m linking it here.)
- pfSense – Cisco Aironet AP’s (only 1 works, all identical).
- NAT through pfSense question.
- Ilja van Sprundel – Are all BSDs are created equally? Video, unfortunately picking “winners”. (via)
- 4.2BSD on SIMH vax with networking. (via)
- NetBSD on Allwinner SoCs Update. (via)
This was an easy week for finding links.
- API provisioning for BCHS web apps. Looks like there’s a new near-monthly article about using BCHS near-monthly, which I did not know. For example: kwebapp. (via)
- Next planned NYCBUG meeting: January 3rd.
- FOSDEM 2018 will have a BSD Devroom; the call for papers is out now – due the 26th.
- os-test. Lots of BSD results. (via)
- Windows 10, VirtualBox 5.2.0 w/ FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT Guest.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Report.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Recap.
- PFSense for PCI compliant network?
- Two-factor authentication for SSH on FreeBSD 11 – Part 1 – SSH Key+Account Password. (via)
- How to use bta2dpd(8) with Bluetooth headphone under NetBSD-current. (via)
- ZFS Feature Flags.
NYCBUG doesn’t have a technical presentation scheduled for November, they are having an untechnical social meeting at Suspenders, tonight. Go, if you are near NYC.
All at the last minute, this.
- rcmds removed from FreeBSD. (Thanks, Jeremie)
- Michael W. Lucas will be presenting on Tarsnap at the next SemiBUG meeting – the 17th.
- There may be a OpenBSD porting workshop with NYCBUG in early December.
- The anatomy of ldd program on OpenBSD.
- How to create BSD bootable USB Stick ?
- EuroBSDcon 2017: “travel notes” after the conference. (via)
- pfSense 2.4.0-RELEASE Now Available! (comments)
- OpenBSD 6.2 released.
- openbsd changes of note 629.
- FreeBSD and APRS, or “hm what happens when none of this is well documented..”
- I’m thinking about OpenBSD again. (via)
- Transition to Zstandard-compressed packages has begun.
Here’s your heads-up: NYCBUG is having an TOR installation party tomorrow. Go, if you are near.
If you are near Knoxville, Tennessee, PacBSD developer Adam Jimerson is presenting on package manager porting to the KnoxBUG user group tomorrow night.
Thank goodness for overflow from last week, because I haven’t had time to read.
- OpenBSD Daily Recap.
- pfsense vs opnsense vs monowall vs smoothwall vs ?
- *nix distros with default shells? Not actually sure what the author’s goal is.
- X11 forwarding vs. Virtual Machine.
- Lscpu for OpenBSD/FreeBSD. (via)
- AMD RX 480 Support?
- [NetBSD] buildbot in the binutils-gdb project. (via)
- vBSDcon 2017: BSD at Work.
- pkgsrc is in freeze for 2017Q3.
- NYCBUG is having a Tor installfest on October 4th.
- Simulation resources, from the August SemiBUG.
- Another BSD, but not for computing: the “Federal Association of Sex Services (BSD)” – read article through.
The new look on undeadly.org sure is nice.
- RETGUARD, the OpenBSD next level in exploit mitigation, is about to debut.
- Can a BSD system replicate the performance of high-end router appliance? Benchmarking would A: show the answer and B: I bet show that the throughput needs of the poster were not as high as they thought.
- Which Unix had the first package manager?
- FreeBSD 10.4-BETA1 Available.
- subversion via ssh passphrase-less key. Really about capturing DNS changes.
- deraadt@ moves us to 6.2-beta!
- t2k17 Hackathon Reports: Daniel Jakots on updating ports, Nagios OpenBGPD plugin and…, Ian Sutton on ARM progress, My first time (Aaron Bieber), Philip Guenther: locking and libc, Andrew Hewus Fresh on Perl and Coffee, and No lock no cry… with CTF! (Martin Pieuchot).
- Kernel syspatches will soon be smaller thanks to KARL.
- PFsense <-> EdgeOS IPSec tunnels.
- Faster forwarding.
- AF3e status, 22 August 2017. That’s ‘Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition’.
- The Manifest – A podcast all about package management. I’m sure this will include BSD packaging systems at some point. (via)
- BSDCan 2017 videos have started being uploaded. (via)
I was reminded of this thanks to the Google Calendar entry: SemiBUG is having their monthly meeting tomorrow night (the 22nd, in case that’s tonight by the time you read this), and it’s one of my favorite formats – a series of lightning talks with 2 slides, 5 minutes.
It’s accidental how-to week!
- OpenSMTPD under OpenBSD with SSL/VirtualUsers/Dovecot (via) and
- OpenSMTPD and Dovecot under OpenBSD with MySQL support and SPAMD. (via)
- Introducing anvil – Tools for distributing ssl certificates, plus examples of usage on FreeBSD.
- OpenBSD on the Huawei MateBook X.
- Add vmctl send and vmctl receive.
- openbsd changes of note 625
- BSDTW is in Taiwan, in November – and the call for papers is out. (via)
- Watch out for wxallowed.
- pfSense 2.3.4-p1 RELEASE Now Available!
- Blog about my blog. Self-hosting and dogfooding, both good ideas.
NeedsHas RSS! (via)
- BSD Pizza, a meetup in Portland, Oregon, on the 27th.
Tomorrow night, KnoxBUG’s monthly meeting has Sam Fourman of iXSystems talking about FreeNAS. Show up if you’re near!
A good chunk of this is overflow from last week.
- The iXSystems Kansas Linux Fest report. I’d like to see the slides they used.
- PKGSRC at The University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee. (via)
- Best free alternative to pfSense?
- OpenBSD laptop.
- Is there a more clear PacBSD installation guide?
- GhostBSD 11 ALPHA having issues with MATE Desktop.
- documentation is thoroughly hard.
- Logical Domains on SunFire T2000 with OpenBSD/sparc64. (via)
- Are there are BSD projects similar to Googles Fuchsia OS?
- Any interest in porting TFS (the new ZFS clone in Rust) to BSDs? The most fun response.
- Can’t get Thinkpad t450s trackpoint working on OpenBSD.
- openbsd changes of note 622.
- Devuan Jessie 1.0 released. It’s Linux, but important here because it’s without systemd. (via)
- Support for Controller Area Networks (CAN) in NetBSD.
- KnoxBUG meeting on May 30th. Sam Fourman talking about FreeNAS.