Thanks to yrabbit, there’s a full FPGA toolchain possible on DragonFly. It’s preliminary, but it works.
Mini-theme: music. Or at least, audio.
- A Definitive History of House. (via)
- BBC Micro/Acorn Playback. Audio tracks of cassette tape programs for that platform. (also via)
- Sequencer64. (via)
- d100 reasons your wizard had to drop out of academia.
- A Vim Guide For Veteran Users.
- Revisiting my emacs and Vim/nvi post.
- How 1500 bytes became the MTU of the internet.
- A Supercut of Supercuts. Long but good.
- RGBFAQ. How computer graphics has developed; recommended.
- Feed Us Weird Things: Artists On Their Favourite Squarepusher Music.
- Gaslighting Your Boss: Creative Experiments in Digital Sabotage.
- Those last 4 links: via.
- Drag and drop bashrc prompt generator. (via)
- Web 1.1: Building The New Old Web. (via)
- Big Blue’s big adventure [origins of the Thinkpad design]. (via)
- AT&T’s ’60s Modem That Won’t Die. (via)
- The parallel universe of FireWire hubs.
I’ll post a reminder for the NYCBUG event.
- July 7th: George Rosamond, “Why Privacy/Security (usually) Needs Anonymity”, for NYCBUG. George has strong opinions; you should hear them.
- The Evolution of the Unix System Architecture. A summary from an author of the IEEE article I linked before.
- Introduction to ZFS Replication.
- Rolling Back OpenBSD PF Changes. (via)
- Valuable News – 2021/06/29.
- Any Marathon fans up in here?
- KDE on FreeBSD 2021o4.
- PDF/ePub/Comics readers on BSD, a discussion.
- History of FreeBSD Part 5: Net/1 and Net/2 – A Path to Freedom.
I’m actually some days late in reporting this, but there’s a new full build of packages for DragonFly 6.0; it’s following the quarterly release schedule for ports, so 2021Q2 is the base.
This goes with the recent merges from -current into 6.0. Now is a good time to update your system completely, if you have not already.
If you’ve got unshielded disk cables in a tiny PC, you can run the AHCI link a bit slower to better handle interference.
There are some fun diversions this week.
- Redux 001: BuzzPhrasing.
- Modern Unix tools. (via)
- From the comments on the last source: xutil and Visidata.
- PNG and JPG explainers. (via)
- Clearly a mini VT100 is required for a mini PDP-8.
- A “life clock” that could outlive you thanks to solar power and e-ink.
- Wrist mounted cyberdeck with expansion modules. Really!
- 50 Years of Text Games: 1994: The Playground and 1995: Patchwork Girl.
- 100 walk cycles.
- Adding a ChaCha Cipher to Precursor’s TRNG. Followup.
- URLs: It’s complicated…
- ARTSEY, a one-hand keyboard. (via)
- Building telemetry for tea aka Tealemetry. (also via)
- Shaker Dice and Edge Labelings. Oddest dice ever.
Yes, I am clearing out all my open tabs from Solène this week.
- Introduction to IPFS, and OpenBSD 6.9 packages using IPFS.
- Semi-related: Synchronization files software.
- How to run a NixOS VM as an OpenBSD guest.
- How to install Gnome on OpenBSD.
- Evolution of the Unix System Architecture: An Exploratory Case Study. (via)
- Valuable News – 2021/06/21.
- TrueNAS Core 12 review. (via)
- Using the I2P network with OpenBSD and NixOS.
- Default community strings removed from snmp in OpenBSD.
- Advance!BSD – thoughts on a not-for-profit project to support *BSD – part 1 and part 2.
- Progress in support for the riscv64 platform. (OpenBSD)
- OPNsense 21.1.7 released.
- ProtoAppStore. Posted cause it should mention BSD ports.
- FreeBSD Performance Observability. (via)
No pun this time; the episode covers the title exactly – plus more recent headlines.
Matthew Dillon’s fixed a possible deadlock in HAMMER2, plus some optimizations that I can’t quantify, but are fun to read about.
ChiBUG’s in-person meeting is tonight. Go, if you are near. (and vaccinated, which you should be.) There will be stickers and of course pizza.
I am sorely tempted to buy one of those there Flippers.
- Internet Histories, Volume 5, Issue 2, June 2021. (via)
- World’s first commercial flight simulator. (via)
- The Flipper Zero. (via)
- The Age of Software: An Introduction.
- Monitoring the Health of Precursor’s TRNGs and Upgrading Precursor’s TRNG.
- Decoding the signal from 1988 Videophone. (via)
- Basic Fantasy Role Playing Game. Not just talking about it, but you can download it.
- Science Fiction Novels for Economists. (via several places)
- Hyperbolic Text.
- The Timeline of Information Technology. (via)
- The Tyranny of Time. Using a specific vocabulary, but good facts. (via)
- Surprising shared word etymologies. (via)
Your unrelated music link of the week: Chronicling Yautja’s Decade-Long Quest to Merge Sludge and Grindcore.
Follow the helloSystem links this week.
- Sponsorships for DNSSEC Mastery, second edition, are available.
- SourceHut on NetBSD, I think, mentioned here.
- SANY adopts TwinCAT/BSD for the automation of wind turbines. (via)
- helloSystem 0.5 is out. (via several places)
- Related: This comment from I assume a helloSystem developer is the best polite “how do you like them apples?” comment I’ve seen in a long time.
- FreeBSD package building pt. 4: (Slightly) Advanced Synth and FreeBSD package building pt. 5: Sophisticated Synth.
- My EC2 wishlist.
- Valuable News – 2021/06/14.
- HardenedBSD 2021 Donation Run.
- Help me decide: which BSD for a first tryout?
- Updating to Minecraft 1.17 in FreeBSD. Happened to me too.
- Are all installed packages available for reinstall?
- Support for chdir(2) in posix_spawn(3).
- Using dpb on OpenBSD for package compilation cluster.
This week’s BSD Now gets into jails heavily (do not pass Go) this week, plus a few other topics.