This week’s BSD Now is all FreeBSD and NetBSD news items – go read/listen; I have no special items to pick out but it’s all enjoyable.
Even though this is BSD-themed, there’s some offbeat items in here.
- cx: A directory history utility written in C. Started on BSD. (via)
- FreeBSD Foundation – 500% if_bridge Performance Improvement. (via)
- Catch up 2020-04-30.
- Playing Counter-Strike (CSMoE) on OpenBSD ft. Zombie mod.
- OpenBSD as a primary target for a game development club? Dev + Gaming + OS Study.
- Playing Doom 3 co-op (librecoop mod) on OpenBSD.
- using zfs rollback for cache clearing.
- Understanding VLAN Configuration on FreeBSD.
- Building a WireGuard Jail with the FreeBSD’s Standard Tools.
- oxbar: configurable X11 status bar for OpenBSD. (via)
- Improving libossaudio, and the future of OSS in NetBSD.
- Valuable News – 2020/04/27.
- The Unix divide over who gets to chown things, and (disk space) quotas.
This week’s BSD Now has the normal links, but also shows off a “Open Source Retail Box Collection”, which is always fun to see – open source that reaches the shelf. Also: install stories!
Tab cleanout time!
- OpenBSD has a bunch of sound device changes. (Linking to one of several)
- FuryBSD 2020-Q2 images are available for XFCE, and KDE.
- Valuable News – 2020/04/20.
- Using bhyve PCI passthrough on OmniOS.
- How to install and configure ClamAv on FreeBSD.
- How to Upgrade OpenBSD and Build a Kernel.
- (lost the source links on those last few; sorry.)
- ‘“things to do” after you have FreeBSD installed‘.
- There’s a whole bunch of new jobs posted on the NYCBUG jobs@ list.
- Replacing existing Cisco ASA 5520 with pfSense HA Cluster.
- HardenedBSD April 2020 Status Report.
- EKCD – Encrypted Crash Dumps in FreeBSD.
- TrueNAS 11.3-U2 is Generally Available.
- Coming soon: Fedora on Lenovo laptops. Might have good news for general hardware support for other systems? (via)
- Debugging freebsd.org Resolution Failure. (via)
BSD Now 347 is up with the usual mix of articles, with the highlight for me being “Making Unix a little more Plan9-like”. However, there’s also the news that BSD Now is breaking out on their own, away from Jupiter Broadcasting, which is exciting news! Make sure you are looking at the correct RSS feed to catch their move.
Accidental theme of video links, which I would not have expected for a BSD summary.
- Speculoos, a FreeBSD (and Citrix) specific vulnerability. You know you’ve made it when you are a target.
- January to March 2020 FreeBSD Status Report.
- OpenBSD on the HP Envy 13. (via)
- Ars Technica – Not Actually Linux Distro Review – GhostBSD. (via)
- FuryBSD 12.1 overview. (video, via)
- Ubiquiti UniFi Controller Installation on FreeBSD from ports/packages. (video, via)
- 3-Antivirus Protection using OPNsense Plugins. (video, via)
- Northgard currently Free for the Weekend on Steam. (Can run on OpenBSD at least.)
- FreeBSD progress on Slimbook Base14. (via)
- Using OpenVPN with Multi-WAN. I’ve done this; it’s easier than it looks. (via)
- mksh R59 released. (MirBSD Korn shell)
- TrueNAS CORE is the New FreeNAS.
- Setting Up Users, Permissions, and ACLs on FreeNAS. Or TrueNAS Core?
- Running X Applications on a Jail created with Bastille.
- Valuable News – 2020/04/13.
- RIP Romeo, host of many NYCBUG events.
- SEMIBUG, still meeting remotely through May.
BSD 346 is out and has some interesting Unix history bits in amongst the other news.
I’m posting now because it’s happening Wednesday and waiting for In Other BSDs on Saturday will be too late: the next FreeBSD Office Hours (livestream with Q&A) is happening on the 16th.
BUG meetings are canceled, but this can’t be surprising at this point.
- Installing FreeBSD for Raspberry Pi 1/2/3. (via)
- Tale of two hypervisor bugs – Escaping from FreeBSD bhyve. (via)
- SNMP Mastery is out. (related: The Print Book Trade, and Money)
- NYCBUG meetings are suspended for obvious meetings, but there’s online chat.
- BSDCan 2020 will be online-only.
- No April ChiBUG meeting.
- FreeNAS and TrueNAS are merging.
- OpenBSD andIPv6.
- WireGuard Gives Linux a Faster, More Secure VPN. Linked cause there’s BSD support too. (via)
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2020Q1 release.
- BSD Link Roundup 4.8.
- Wifi renewal restarted.
- LLDB work concluded.
- Valuable News – 2020/04/06.
- WRATH: Aeon of Ruin on OpenBSD!
- Testing AGS games on OpenBSD! That’s Adventure Game Studios.
- OPNsense 20.1.4 released.
BSD Now 345 has the usual batch of recent stories to cover, plus a treat – a number of community feedback items on switching to BSD.
Last minute this week. Everyone is inside except me working two jobs again. Dumb, but I do enjoy the work.
- RISC OS and NetBSD running on same SoC. (via)
- MixerTUI 0.1. (via)
- Extending support for the NetBSD-7 branch.
- NetBSD 8.2 is available!
- The GNU GDB Debugger and NetBSD (Part 1).
- Update Lenovo X260 BIOS with OpenBSD. (via)
- My Latest Self Hosted Hugo Workflow using FreeBSD Jails, Caddy, Restic and More. (via)
- NextCloud on OpenBSD. Clever image. (via)
- My New Print Bookstore.
- Cloud images for *BSD, based on cloud-init. (via)
- OPNsense 20.1.3 released.
- Playing Half-life using xash3d : Puffy against Black Mesa. (via)
- Valuable News – 2020/03/30.
- rethinking openbsd security.
Everything else is topsy-turvy, but BSD Now is a constant: it’s out like usual this week. There’s a feature about text processing, a subject I inexplicably enjoy, and a lot of things that start with Z.
I have multiple BSD based systems to update, reboot, and hopefully not physically visit in the next week or so.
- pfSense 2.4.5-RELEASE Now Available.
- Booting [OpenBSD] from an FFS2 filesystem.
- [packages] Retiring Python 2 support in IPython.
- AnsiMail, based on ansible, not ANSI as older folks may immediately think. (via)
- Valuable News – 2020/03/23.
- Bob Beck Interview from EuroBSDCon 2018.
- XIGMANAS 18.104.22.168 Ingva Released. Did not know this existed. (via)
- More than 1/3 of commercial games for OpenBSD on sale on GOG.com. (via)
- Question about a game. (Ultimate Doom, on OpenBSD, though it may apply to any BSD)
- FreeBSD 12.1 on a new (to me) ThinkPad T550.
- OpenBSD’s ‘spinning’ CPU time category.
- OpenBSD -current – Frequent asked questions.
BSD Now 343 is quite topical this week: viruses and VPNs. Release information, etc., too.
A bit short this week; I think everyone’s been occupied with other issues.
- How to Configure the WireGuard VPN Server in OPNsense. (via)
- ssh with 2FA.
- The growth of command line options, 1979-Present. Technically BSD cause of the history. (via)
- New FuryBSD 12.1 based images are available for XFCE, and KDE.
- Valuable News – 2020/03/16.
- BSD Link Roundup 3.19.
- Fire Emblem Multiplayer Application on OpenBSD!
- “SNMP Mastery,” April Fool’s, and The Networknomicon.
- pf-badhost 0.3 Released. (via)
- NomadBSD 1.3.1 is now available!
- GhostBSD 20.02 is now available.
- The situation with Go on OpenBSD.
- OpenBSD Full Disk Encryption with CoreBoot and Tianocore Payload.
- Followed by More or less what versions of Go support what OpenBSD releases.
- The problem of Unix iowait and multi-CPU machines.
- The most surprising Unix programs. (via)
For once, I couldn’t figure out what the name of this week’s BSD Now episode referenced. It’s Data Virtual Address, in ZFS, which gets covered in the show. There’s a specific bit about Go and OpenBSD that I haven’t seen mentioned elsewhere, too. (see show notes)
Throwing all the links I can out there.
- March/April BUG meetings canceled for NYCBUG and SEMIBUG.
- FreeBSD Journal 2020/01-02. (PDF, via)
- FreeBSD Find Installed Hard Disk Size Information. (via)
- GhostBSD 20.02 Overview. (video, via)
- Introduction to Flua on FreeBSD. (via)
- FreeBSD Loader and Console Future. (via)
- OPNsense 20.1.2 released.
- FreeNAS and TrueNAS are Unifying. TrueNAS 12 will be the One True… NAS
- p2k19 Hackathon Report: Rafael Sadowski on KDE+Qt5 progress, more.
- My infrastructure as of 2019. Not a bad model.
- Valuable News – 2020/03/02 and 2020/03/09.
- OpenBSD Errata: March 13th, 2020 (sosplice). (via)
- OpenBSD Errata: March 10th, 2020 (sysctl). (via)
- New Security Advisory: NetBSD-SA2020-002.
- Accomplishment of porting ptrace(2) test scenarios.
- Towards backtracing through signal trampolines and fresh libc++.
- How to Set Up Windows SMB Shares on FreeNAS.
- The Expression Amrilato (Renpy compatible).
- Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (free visual novel on GOG).
- cwm-like Window Manager for NetBSD and FreeBSD?
- Let’s Play on OpenBSD: Northgard.
- Let’s Play on OpenBSD: Dead Cells 1.7.6 with The Bad Seed DLC.
- OpenBSD Full Disk Encryption with CoreBoot and Tianocore Payload.
- Does anyone have KDE on FreeBSD working with multiple monitors?
- Clearing up FreeBSD GCC news.
- FreeBSD 12.1 Nvidia desktop.
BSD Now 341 is about unification, get it? It’s covering the merging of TrueNAS/FreeNAS, along with the usual roundup of news, including POWER9 and FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Go, and so on.