NYCBUG is meeting at Suspenders, tomorrow. The announcement has details. Go, if you are near.
I have an inexplicably short BSD section this week. Post-BSDCan fatigue? I don’t know, but I have lots on the docket for tomorrow, I promise.
- ZFS on APU2; follow the thread for details.
- What are the differences between OpenBSD and Linux? (via)
- Something that Linux distributions should not do when packaging things. Linked because I’ve seen people pick Linux over a BSD because they assume (wrongly!) that a large commercial Linux distribution would have up to date packages.
- For the umpteenth time, help a “*BSD newbie” pick the right operating system.
- vmctl(8): command line syntax changed.
- fnaify 1.3 released – more games are “fnaify & run” now.
- Related: GOG.com Summer Sale – OpenBSD Highlights.
Watch for post-BSDCan slides and material and ideas to show up in the next few weeks.
- NetBSD 8.1-RC1 is out.
- BSDCan 2019 papers are showing up, plus this iXsystems recap.
- pfSense 2.4.4-RELEASE-p3 now available.
- WANT TO PLAY A GAME? Ooh, look at the simulated phosphor! (via)
- Valuable News – 2019/05/20.
- How does BSD benefit you personally?
- NetBSD For The ODROID-C2. (via)
- g2k19 hackathon report from Claudio Jeker.
- RunHyve. (via)
- FreeBSD 11.3-b1 is out.
- Automount Synology NFS shares from OpenBSD. (via)
- FreeBSD Desktop with MATE. Don’t run the script via fetch like it says. (via)
- OPNsense 19.1.8 released.
- FreeNAS as your server OS. I didn’t know there was a hypervisor option within FreeNAS.
BSD Now’s pre-milestone episode has a nice range of topics, along with a note that they are going to an audio-only format – except for the livestream.
I have more links than I expected.
- Brief netbsd.org outages tomorrow.
- SEMIBUG vmm hypervisor demo on the 21st.
- WireGuard on OpenBSD. (via)
- No itch to scratch.
- Simple shared folder with Samba on OpenBSD 6.5.
- Confusion with used/free disk space in ZFS.
- Valuable News – 2019/05/09.
- BSDCan 2019 Auction Items, and next Beaks novel.
- Video of live reading of “FreeBSD Journal” column.
- Overview of ZFS Pools in FreeNAS.
- Intel MDS. A problem not specific to any one BSD, really. (via)
- Bad utmp implementations in Glibc and FreeBSD. (via)
- syzkaller found a bug.
- Keep Crashing Daemons Running on FreeBSD. First three words are a potential band name. (via)
- HumbleBundle Spring Sale – OpenBSD Highlights.
The last weather station link is a real gem.
- BSDCan 2019 details.
- The Open Source Financial Developers Association could use some BSD testing.
- iXsystems Takes the Plunge with Liquid Immersion Servers.
- Announcing Google Summer of Code 2019 projects. (NetBSD)
- Improvements in forking, threading, and signal code. (NetBSD)
- Valuable News – 2019/05/06.
- Simple way to generate strong passwords. (via)
- My Bash Script to Brighten up your BSD box by wallpapers from Reddit. (via)
- OpenBSD, httpd & WordPress: Making it work. (via)
- OPNsense 19.1.7 released.
- OmniOS – r151030 – Stable and LTS Release is out.
- ZFS Implementation in Python. (via)
- Supporting Go Modules in pkgsrc (Part 2). (via)
- A weather station fit for a PDP-11. This is gloriously useless.
I’m still not making through all the stuff I need to link to, but this is enough to keep you busy for today.
- The FreeBSD 2019 Community Survey.
- Some useful features of (GNU)
datefor things like time conversion. Compares to the FreeBSD version.
- ZFS on Linux on FreeBSD for testing. Argh.
- Informal CDBUG session this week – speak up if you are near.
- Next Batch of Updated Plugins and How to Recover from Failed Plugin Updates. (iXSystems)
- OpenBSD automatic upgrade. (via)
- Mount your ZFS datasets anywhere you want.
- Valuable News?-?2019/04/29.
- stardew valley not working on openbsd 6.5 -current.
- LLDB: extending CPU register inspection support.
- What are the differences between Linux and OpenBSD? (via)
- Writing Exploit-Resistant Code With OpenBSD. (via)
- CFT: FreeBSD Package Base.
- TrueCommand: Manage Multiple FreeNAS and TrueNAS Systems.
The May NYCBUG meeting is tomorrow night, at 6:30 PM at Suspenders. The presentation is “Lookup Data Structures in the FreeBSD Kernel“. Go, if you are near.
Tonight’s KnoxBUG meeting is canceled at the last minute due to a family emergency. Don’t go, if you are near.
I have cleared out my backlog of general BSD stuff but am still a month behind on DragonFly news, which is the opposite of usual.
- OpenBSD 6.5 released.
- Michael W. Lucas’s FreeBSD Mastery: Jails is out.
- FreeBSD Mastery: Jails – Bail Bond Denied Edition.
- Related: Lucas is presenting for something like 24 hours straight at Penguincon 2019, including BSD topics. The ice cream-related presentations sound the most fun.
- pfSense VLAN Configuration, a question.
- Valuable News – 2019/04/22.
- Categorizing OpenBSD Bugs. (via)
- fh: file history with ed(1), diff(1), awk(1), sed(1) and sh(1). Almost BSD. (via)
- OS108-20190422 released with added splash. (via)
- powerpc64 architecture support in FreeBSD ports. (via)
See the page for details, and go if you are near. I’m saying “coming up” because there’s a big time zone difference between here and there.
Nicely mixed topics this week.
- It’s several years old, but worth viewing: .ike’s presentation of “Shell Fu” from NYCBUG, as video. Also: May event speaker needed. (via)
- The FreeBSD-12 support model.
- “OpenVMS vs. Unix” (antagonists or sisters?).
- Previous link via Nixers Newsletter 121.
- Back in the Day: UNIX, Minix and Linux. The author rewrote wump(6) for 4.3 BSD.
- Looking for a worm and encrypted storage solution. FreeNAS + Greentec.
- OpenSSH 8.0 released. (via)
- Create a dedicated user for ssh tunneling only. OpenBSD as the example platform.
- Deploying munin-node with drist. Probably could be done on any BSD.
- Valuable News – 2019/04/15.
- Next Polish BSD user group meeting: April 25th. I’ll post a reminder.
- Moving your IMAP server to a third party: FastMail. FastMail is a mail host I’ve heard recommendations for multiple times.
- GhostBSD 19.04 Now Available. (via)
- docbook2mdoc-1.0.0 released.
- t2k19 Hackathon Report: On rsync, ssh, and ports cruft.
- t2k19 Hackathon Report: unwinding in Taipei.
- Setting up a new Dovecot server on FreeBSD with an OSX mail.app client.
- Announcing the pkgsrc-2019Q1 release.
- BSD Link Roundup 4.12.
- battery consuming battery software.