This week’s BSD Now covers the usual roundup of news. Of note: experimental FreeBSD binary updates, and as you can guess from the title, another method of segregating your web browser from the rest of your environment.
Dragged right out of my RSS feeds.
- Chai-Fi, the minimalistic wpa_supplicant.conf “manager” for FreeBSD. (via)
- Valuable News – 2020/06/29 and Valuable News – 2020/07/06.
- Classic ThinkPad Thermal Paste Change. Bookmarked cause I’ll eventually need it. There’s a Lenovo fan control for BSD buried in there too.
- FreeBSD Virtual Bug Squash event, happening today.
- Deep Integration of Filesystem Extended Attribute Support. (HardenedBSD)
- OPNsense 20.1.8 released.
- TrueCommand 1.3 out.
- OpenBSD upgraders need to delete libperl.a.
- Diablo (Hell/Hell co-op) – PlayOnBSD. (via)
- Emulex – Cheapest 10GE for Your Homelab on FreeBSD. (via)
- Tutorial sites treating FreeBSD like a Linux distro.
- Via previous link: Everyone should buy the USEBSD sticker.
This should be prime convention season, darnit.
- Smallest device running BSD?
- Android in FreeBSD bhyve. (via)
- The FreeBSD binary package manager cheatsheet. Applies to DragonFly too. (via)
- BSDCan 2020 Charity Auction Results.
- BSDCAN 2020 talk on Using OpenBGPd as a Control Plane for an ISP.
- Graphical view of the x86 OpenBSD boot process.
- Command Line Bug Hunting in FreeBSD. (via)
- The Era of Fragmentation, Part 4: The Anarchists. Touches early BSD UNIX.
- Announcing FreeBSD Fridays: A Series of 101 Classes. (via)
- pkgsrc-2020Q2 released.
- End of support for NetBSD 7.
- ChiBUG has a poll up about meeting. Vote, if you are near.
This week’s BSD Now, by accident or design, covers booting different BSDs on different hardware – take a look.
Overflow again, finally.
- BSD Resources, a list of BSD-based products. Missed one. (via)
- FreeBSD Day shifted. (via)
- Throw-Away Browser on FreeBSD With “pot” Within 5 Minutes. See also. (also via)
- WireGuard Merged Into OpenBSD. (via)
- Related: Trying out WireGuard’s kernel support in OpenBSD’s -current snapshots. (via)
- Getting Started with NetBSD on the Pinebook Pro. (via)
- More FreeBSD HPE Microserver homelab answers.
- Rubenerd Show 411: The FreeBSD cat(1) episode.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/22.
- Renaming and replacing zroot filesystems using mfsBSD.
- My FreeBSD Laptop Build. (via)
- The End of OS X. Touches a bit on early BSD history. (via)
- FreeBSD on the Intel 10th Gen i3 NUC. (via)
- TLS defaults changed in ldapd(8).
The most recent BSD Now covers a number of different topics, some of which you may have already seen linked. There’s some reader questions too, which I’m sure you have not seen.
A relatively calm week.
- I was late and didn’t link to it before, so: BSD Now 355: Man Page Origins.
- National FreeBSD Day just happened. (via)
- FreeBSD 11.4 is out.
- .Xcompose tips. Not really BSD but that’s where you’d use it.
- FreeBSD Desktop – Part 21 – Configuration – Compton.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/15.
- System Shock on OpenBSD. (via)
- HardenedBSD June 2020 Status Report.
- Fakecracker: NetBSD as a Function Based MicroVM. (via)
I like having shorter link texts so they all line up, but sometimes it’s unavoidably descriptive.
- FreeBSD’s new Code of Conduct.
- Gaming on OpenBSD.
- FreeBSD HEAD Binary Upgrades. (via bsdweekly)
- Install OpenBSD 6.7-current on a PineBook Pro 64. (via bsdweekly)
- TrueNAS is Multi-OS. My hot take is that this is a side effect of ZFS becoming commoditized.
- Speaking of which, ZFS: adding a drive back into the zpool.
- DRM update committed. It’s OpenBSD, so direct render, not digital rights.
- pfSense 2.4.5-RELEASE-p1 Now Available.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/08. Argh, there’s ad popups on what is otherwise a very nice site.
- “Blood” (game) ported to NetBSD.
- Booting FreeBSD off the HPE MicroServer Gen8 ODD SATA port.
- Import DHCP reservations from Synology DHCP Server to OpenBSD dhcpd(8).
- OpenBSD 6.7 on PC Engines APU4D4.
Remember, BSDCan 2020 is still streaming if you read this early enough.
- Understanding How OpenZFS Keeps Your Data Safe.
- BastilleBSD Template updates. (via)
- Bringing FreeBSD to EC2 with Colin Percival. A long and worthwhile story, on a non-BSDpodcast. (via)
- The FreeBSD 2020 Community Survey.
- Peeking inside executables and libraries to make debugging easier. Applies to BSD as it says.
- Some new fnaify-supported games.
- Custom tab completions in oksh.
- VAX port needs help.
- FreeBSD 11.4 RC2 available.
- My new FreeBSD Laptop: Dell Latitude 7390. I’ve had good luck with that series.
- Some new FreeBSD/EC2 features: EFS automount and ebsnvme-id.
- Valuable News – 2020/06/01.
- BSDCan 2020 Charity Auction.
BSDCan 2020 is being streamed right now and tomorrow, with all talks available.
This week’s BSD Now has the most exciting title I’ve heard in some time, related to the type of disk being used in one of the stories. This week is mostly installation tales, really.
Something that makes me happy: Vermaden’s Valuable News and BSD Now have both been reliable as clockwork for a long time now.
- Encrypted ZFS on NetBSD 9.0, for a FreeBSD guy. (via)
- BSD Hardware – Details of BSD Powered Computers Over the World. (via)
- Zig, a new language (that supports BSD). Thanks, Tse Gratis.
- OpenBSD 6.7 and ffs2 FAQs. (via)
- Podcast interview on SNMP. Ostensibly about SNMP, but involves BSD people.
- NetBSD used to default to csh.
- Netatalk3 Mac file sharing on NetBSD.
- Quick FreeBSD bridge when your switch is full. Linked cause I can never remember the right ifconfig syntax for a bridge.
- EXAPUNKS and Opus Magnum on OpenBSD.
- OPNsense 20.1.7 released.
- Valuable News – 2020/05/25.
This week’s BSD Now links to a bunch of what I call ‘resource’ articles, things that tell you how to do things and use stuff. It’s good reading if you have the time.
For once I started on these early in the week.
- Savaged by systemd, now available as an audiobook.
- OpenBSD in a laptop, part 1 and part 2. (via, via)
- FreeBSD and Google Season of Docs.
- WireGuard on FreeBSD Quick Look: Testing VPN in Jail Network. (via)
- Beautiful background pictures on OpenBSD.
- Communauté OpenBSD française.
- Valuable News – 2020/05/18.
- Hexen II (Co-op) – PlayOnBSD.
- BSD Weekly issue 20.
- Installation images renamed from .fs to .img. OpenBSD.
- OpenBSD 6.7 Released.
- Setting Up Windows iSCSI Block Shares on TrueNAS & FreeNAS.
- Even online, BSDCan 2020 needs volunteers.
- First seed for OpenBSD/powerpc64 planted by kettenis@. How plentiful is this architecture these days?