I’m preposting this, so hopefully it is still accurate: SEMIBUG has a menu of lightning talks tonight. It’s online.
I managed to avoid a dominant theme this week. On purpose! I think it means a better summary.
- Build a tablet out of your Framework motherboard.
- In-browser retro-futuristic tank game, open source. (via)
- Laptoppin’ like 1975.
- The Pong you could program, possibly: the MOS 7600/7601.
- The Comics Journal has been publishing link roundups about comics – all kinds, including good ones – for quite some time. Here’s a recent one.
- The Spriter’s Resource. Sprites sprites sprites. (via)
- Plasma Tweeter.
- What I learned about markdown from interviewing a bunch of people.
- Decisions, decisions: Principles for making important choices in open source.
- Unhinged old newspaper reports lead to interesting ARPANET “first message” question.
- Reassembling a 3.5″ floppy. (via)
- Video Nub Shank.
The last link has some interesting applications to try.
- logcheck – egrep: trailing backslash (\).
- Meta-programming in Shell. (via)
- MGR, a pre-X windowing system that I’ve never knowingly seen before. (via)
- The odd return value of the original 4.2 BSD
- NetBSD 9.3 released.
- FreeBSD 2022Q2 report.
- svnlite(1) removed from FreeBSD base.
- Ada development on FreeBSD 13.1. (via)
- FreeBSD 13.0 EOL.
- Valuable News – 2022/08/08.
- /usr/games removed from the default $PATH. (OpenBSD)
- What softwares do you recommend to a daily use BSD system?
This week’s BSD Now has a bunch of how-to-do-this links, as you might guess from the headline.
Some cranky links, some fun links.
- Re-reclaimed from nature: Resurrecting a DT80 terminal. I’ve seen hardware worse off than this come back… but rarely.
- Amazon is incentivized to support ripoffs. (via)
- It’s not just books, either.
- The Blessed Valley of Mild Proficiency. (via)
- The Gametank game console.
- rePalm. (via)
- 40 years of AutoCAD. (via)
- Emacs Timeline. (via)
- Mapmaking as a Game within a Game.
- Nam June Paik’s Wobbulator. (indirectly via)
Unrelated game of the week: Hexagonal Pipes.
Some useful tips hidden in there this week.
- How to use two gpus (intel and nvidia) attached to two monitors on FreeBSD.
- Freshly installed NetBSD booting on a 80386 DX40 with 8MB of RAM. MB.
- OPNSense 22.7 released. (via)
- Advocating for FreeBSD in 2022 and Beyond.
- Valuable News – 2022/08/01.
- Ten Things To Do After Installing FreeBSD. The source link has a good comment about what’s wrong with sudo as currently used. Also, I did not know about .hushlogin.
- Even more randomness.
- HardenedBSD July 2022 Status Report.
- depenguin.me, reminded of this FreeBSD-on-shared-host-install by this Hetzner news.
- A brief history of looking up host addresses in Unix. Ugh, NIS.
- Run FreeBSD 13.1 for ARM64 in QEMU on Apple Silicon Mac with HVF Acceleration. (via)
- Microsoft’s Xenix – Microsoft tries their hand at UNIX.
There’s an unofficial NYCBUG meetup, tomorrow at 6:45PM. Go, if you are near New York City.