If you’re booting DragonFly in UEFI mode, and you have unsupported video (i.e. NVIDIA), there’s the scfb driver for xorg. It doesn’t support NVIDIA chipsets either, but it gives more options than the generic vesa driver. It appears to be present in all the BSDs to some extent.
KnoxBUG has a meeting tonight, and John Hixson will be presenting “Setting up Samba for a Mixed Network of Windows and Mac“. Go, if you are near Knoxville.
One month to Christmas!
- Anyone with ARM laptop experience?
- Hitler Quote Controversy In the BSD Community. I haven’t noticed anything.
- Semibug Christmas dinner: 19 December 2017.
- Official OpenBSD 6.2 CD set – the only one to be made!
- p2k17 Hackathon report: Antoine Jacoutot on ports+packages progress.
- Lumina 1.4.0 released.
- DiscoverBSD for 2017/11/20.
- Any interest in a continuous integration service with BSD build boxes?
- The strongest KASLR, ever?
- UNIX kernel system calls.
- This is how you can port your rust application to FreeBSD. (via)
- OPNsense 17.7.7 released, OPNsense 17.7.8 released, and OPNSense vs. Netgate.
- Converting a Dell R710 into a ZFS-based FreeBSD 11.1 tape library bacula-sd followed by R710 – getting the drives ready.
- FreeBSD/RISC-V and Device Drivers. PDF. (via)
- OpenBSD ELF Auxiliary Vector Information Leak. (via)
- More p2k17 Hackathon: Anthony J. Bentley on firmware, games and securing pkg_add runs, Sebastian Reitenbach on Puppet,
Landry Breuil on Mozilla things,Florian Obser on network stack progress, kernel relinking.
- Hyper V VLAN tag on pfSense?
- OpenBSD on G4 Cube. (via)
- FreeNAS ISCSI Luns & VMware; restricting lun visibility?
- FreeNAS vs. Server 2016 vs. unRaid?
- How’s the [Nvidia] driver support compared to Linux?
- Why are supercomputers all running Linux and not BSD?
- VMWare + FreeNAS, Encryption.
- OS X:Anyone using Xfce or other DE in place of Aqua?
- Switching from 1Password to Bitwarden.
- BSDTW ’17 Conference Recap.
- Moving Freshports.
- FreeBSD/EC2 on C5 instances.
I’m a bit late linking to the new BSDNow episode, “Opening ZFS in 2017“, but here it is. You can guess at least one of the topics covered from the title.
A good variety this week.
- Building software with Ravenports.
- “SSH Mastery, 2nd Ed” News, Sponsorships, and Cover.
- LISA 2017 Conference Recap.
- LibreSSL 2.6.3 released. (via)
- First Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition preorders available.
- GhostBSD 11.1 RC1 is ready! (via)
- p2k17 Hackathon reports: 1 2 3 4 5.
- Why did we build our solution on top of FreeBSD?
- Nearly Online Zpool Switching Between Two FreeBSD Machines.
- Upcoming SemiBUG workshop suggestion.
- Open source Visio-ish network diagramming. (From a BSD list, so I’m linking it here.)
- pfSense – Cisco Aironet AP’s (only 1 works, all identical).
- NAT through pfSense question.
- Ilja van Sprundel – Are all BSDs are created equally? Video, unfortunately picking “winners”. (via)
- 4.2BSD on SIMH vax with networking. (via)
- NetBSD on Allwinner SoCs Update. (via)
This week’s BSDNow has no interview, but goes into in-depth explanations of ZFS caching, man page reading, and more – so there’s lots to keep you busy, just in the show description.
This was an easy week for finding links.
- API provisioning for BCHS web apps. Looks like there’s a new near-monthly article about using BCHS near-monthly, which I did not know. For example: kwebapp. (via)
- Next planned NYCBUG meeting: January 3rd.
- FOSDEM 2018 will have a BSD Devroom; the call for papers is out now – due the 26th.
- os-test. Lots of BSD results. (via)
- Windows 10, VirtualBox 5.2.0 w/ FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT Guest.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Report.
- OpenZFS Developer Summit 2017 Recap.
- PFSense for PCI compliant network?
- Two-factor authentication for SSH on FreeBSD 11 – Part 1 – SSH Key+Account Password. (via)
- How to use bta2dpd(8) with Bluetooth headphone under NetBSD-current. (via)
- ZFS Feature Flags.
This week’s BSDNow talks about the Krack Attack, new releases for a number of BSDs, recent conventions, and really just everything.
NYCBUG doesn’t have a technical presentation scheduled for November, they are having an untechnical social meeting at Suspenders, tonight. Go, if you are near NYC.
For once, I was able to work ahead and get this done early!
- Using the Linux find command with caution. It says “Linux” but most platforms have find(1).
- What are BSD’s nonfree firmware blobs?
- Linux to bsd.
- Are BSD binaries portable across the different BSD flavors?
- What’s the current state of optimus support for the BSDs?
- (Video) FreeBSD 11.1 – Configuring And Installing A Custom Kernel
- Playing with the pine64. (via)
- FreeBSD/EC2: Community vs. Marketplace AMIs.
- pfSense as Edge firewall/router with DMZ, Sophos SG UTM as internal firewall/router.
- Kernel ASLR support in NetBSD. (via)
- The BSDCan 2018 site is up.
- OPNsense 17.7.6 released.
- OpenBSD gives a hint on forgetting unlock mutex. (via)
- Issues the BSD license does not have.
This week’s BSDNow turns the tables, and the interviewer is you. Well, viewer questions for the staff, specifically. There’s also the usual news summaries.
Cobbled together Friday night because my new job oddly has less hours of work but less time to screw around. That’s for the best.
- OpenBSD Jumpstart. (via)
- dtrace and ZFS update (for NetBSD, via)
- syspatch(8) Binary Updates Now for the Latest Release Only.
- Monitoring OpenBSD router.
- Sneaking in two threads (wait, more) about the DragonFly 5 release.
- FreeBSD 11.0 EOL.
- Why did OpenBSD silently release a patch before the embargo? Scroll to the end of the link for this item. Here’s the explanation. (via)
- FreeBSD: Building software from ports (2/2).
- Syspatch for one release only. (via)
This week’s BSDNow has David Carlier of Afilias interviewed, plus a EuroBSDCon travel report and more.
All at the last minute, this.
- rcmds removed from FreeBSD. (Thanks, Jeremie)
- Michael W. Lucas will be presenting on Tarsnap at the next SemiBUG meeting – the 17th.
- There may be a OpenBSD porting workshop with NYCBUG in early December.
- The anatomy of ldd program on OpenBSD.
- How to create BSD bootable USB Stick ?
- EuroBSDcon 2017: “travel notes” after the conference. (via)
- pfSense 2.4.0-RELEASE Now Available! (comments)
- OpenBSD 6.2 released.
- openbsd changes of note 629.
- FreeBSD and APRS, or “hm what happens when none of this is well documented..”
- I’m thinking about OpenBSD again. (via)
- Transition to Zstandard-compressed packages has begun.
Assembled all on Thursday!
- No Plan Survives Contact with the Internet. pfSense 2.4.0 delay, related to recent dnsmasq discoveries.
- pfsense rant.
- Exploring BSD for my CDN.
- Ohio LinuxFest 2017 Recap.
- First draft of “Absolute FreeBSD, 3rd Edition” finished! Related: Michael W. Lucas has a Patreon.
- OPNsense 17.7.5 released.
- autoconf/clang (No) Fun and Games.
- FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE out.
- Upgrading from FreeBSD 10.3 to 11.1 via freebsd-update and beadm.
- ClonOS offers web-based container/VM management on FreeBSD base. (via)
- LibertyBSD 6.1 released. (via)
- Anybody interested in taking over my Emacs front-end to (Free)BSD pkg?
- How to blank laptop screen?
- Any way to control the battery charge levels (thinkpad)
- Serving 100 Gbps from an Open Connect Appliance. (via multiple places)
- pkgsrc-2017Q3 is out.
BSDNow 214 has no interview, but does get into a convention report and a number of other topics, including the history of man pages. Is there a help format that has lasted as long as man pages? I don’t think so.