No mini-theme this week.
The one good use of social media: jokes on an obscure theme. (via)
Mini-theme: music. Or at least, audio.
There are some fun diversions this week.
I am sorely tempted to buy one of those there Flippers.
Your unrelated music link of the week: Chronicling Yautja’s Decade-Long Quest to Merge Sludge and Grindcore.
Lots of analog this week.
A short but oddball batch of links this week.
Normally I’d throw this into the Lazy Reading section, but it’s happening Thursday and that would be too late: Nolan Bushnell, founder of Atari (and Chuck E. Cheese) is doing a live Q&A Thursday in conjunction with ICHEG.
Oddball finds week.
Your unrelated video of the week: “treat the human face like a graphic equaliser for breakbeat“. Hypnotic. (via)
This is a good link week; several deep dives.
Time for a new category marking.
- 2021 IGF nominees: stunning environments, cosmic horror and not-horror, and there’s a bunch more summaries.
- Full Motion, Double High-Res Video Playback on the Apple IIe.
- Understanding OpenSSH’s future deprecation of the ‘ssh-rsa’ signature scheme. More than one thing named RSA, is the issue.
- The Ratings Game, Part 3: Dueling Standards. Goes with lyrics labeling in music.
- Digital.Visual.Material, computers as audiovisual material, a symposium. (via)
- “Bluetooth” name origin story filters through to normal media – remember I linked to a similar story some time ago? There’s a lifecycle to where news shows up.
- NEVER OBSOLETE. (via)
- Diffusion-limited aggregation, so you now know where that one screensaver comes from. (The more interesting source.)
- Nixie tubes AND persistence of vision effects, together.
- 50 Years of Text Games: 1988: P.R.E.S.T.A.V.B.A. and 1989: Monster Island.
- A Few More Useful Pandoc Tricks.
- z88dk, the z88 development kit. (via)
- How the personal computer broke the human body. Excellent pictures. (via)
- Who Invented Heavy Metal?
Nostalgia mini-theme this week, or maybe “classical”?
Fun reads, none too heavy.
Maybe hardware hacks is the sub-theme this week.
Some nice in-depth reading awaits you below.
Some looks backward to prior links, but in a good way.
I lost the origin of some of these links this week; too many tabs open. Sorry!
Your unrelated music of the week: The Best Beat Tapes on Bandcamp: March 2021.
No theme this week cause I really did touch all the themes.
Mini theme this week: sound.