Another diverse link week, hooray!
Your unrelated item of the week: How Wegmans inspired the most rabid fanbase in the grocery world. I live in the town where Wegmans started. “Grocery fanbase” is a relative thing, but: yes, they are that good.
It’s Lazy Reading Science week!
Your unrelated link of the day: Assault Trombone. Even if this was lethal, I couldn’t take it seriously. (via)
It’s all twofer links this week.
Your unrelated entertainment activities of the day: Places to Telnet. (indirectly via)
You weren’t planning to do anything else today, right? Find some headphones.
Your unrelated link of the week: Bandcamp Daily. Curated daily presentations about a band or type of music, where the enthusiasm for any given esoteric sonic whatsit oozes through the writing and samples are there to back it up. Of course I would like it. Recent highlights from just the past few days: a history of doom metal; Kid Koala’s new album, and whatever this is.
Not as many reading links as usual this week, but lots of BSD news yesterday. It ebbs and it flows.
Your unrelated comic of the week: “Your comment here“. Also “presentation“.
Thinkpieces, this week.
Your tea link of the week: Scary photo of an Indian tea plantation
“Old consumer computers” is this week’s accidental theme.
Your unrelated video of the week: Turbo Encabulator. There’s more like that out there, like the Rockwell Retro Encabulator.
I hope you have lots of time to read today.
- SpaceVim – Like Spacemacs, but for Vim. A Vim … distribution? (via)
- Mid-century modern electronics. (via)
- Open Source Won. So, Now What? (via)
- A Historical Geography of RPG Playing
- 2016 year-end link clearance. Going down the rabbit hole of links to links.
- Data formats of Rogue One (via)
- Architects on Death Star design. A bit clickbaity, I know. (also via)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, looking just at user interfaces. (via)
- Great Talks and Presentations at 33C3 (I think via)
- Truffle Hog, a clever search-for-accidentally-committed-keys script. (via)
- Hacker News, like any news aggregate, has now reached the astroturfing / advertising point. (related)
- Goodbye to GNU Libreboot (via)
- Irssi 1.0.0 Released And here’s the XKCD cartoon to match. (via)
- fortran.io, a FORTRAN web framework. (via)
- A Tourist’s Guide to the LLVM Source Code
- Story behind malloc(0) standardization (via)
- python 3k17. Perl’s is the only scripting language I know that successfully navigated major version changes – for compatibility, at least.
- zz: a smart and efficient directory changer
- Internet of Shit and CES. Of note: 42tea, where you need a smartphone to do what only maybe needs a timer and thermometer.
- chmod 777. Not sure if real.
- The many lives of Packard Bell. I hated these.
I almost scheduled this for 2016/01/01.
Merry Christmas! I piled up as many links as I could in the theory that many readers have the spare time for it today/tomorrow/next few days.
Your unrelated game link of the week: Lode Runner. The whole thing in HTML5 as far as I can tell. (via)
Your unrelated video of the week: AAAAAAAAAAAA
Typed early while contractors drill holes in my house.
Your unrelated link of the week: arguments over bread terminology.
The post-holiday rush of links has slowed.
Dig up more on James Burke (linked below) if you can, and if you have the time. His Connections show was a delight.
A lot of this I picked up in previous weeks, knowing that the U.S Thanksgiving holiday was going to either dry up all links or give me a crapload.
Your unrelated link of the week: The Secret World of Stuff. (via)
It took me three edits of this post to spell “Salvador” correctly.
Your unrelated food link of the week: Salvador Dali wrote a cookbook. (It’s getting reprinted.)
Some of this is overflow from last week.
There’s got to be something surprising and/or useful for you in this week’s links; they are gloriously eclectic.
Your unrelated browser game of the week: Epitaph. (via)
I finished this waaaay early.
Your unrelated link of the week: Take On Me, shittyfluted. Similar to sweding, and I’m so sorry.
I managed to clear some of my link backlog, finally.
Your unrelated link of the week: Retro Wave logo generator. (via)
Little yesterday, lots today:
Your unrelated extra lazy reading: IFComp 2016 games, a selection.