Today is my birthday, so I have a gift for you: a lot of reading!
- Don’t panic and keep forking Debian. It leads to devuan.org. For a fork to succeed, they need positive reasons to exist, not just a definition of what it’s not. (via)
- Advent Planet. Follow it, find your interest topic, get something to read daily for the next few weeks.
- On file formats, very briefly. I’ve liked everything of Paul Ford’s that I’ve ever read. (via)
- Fun with Lisp: Programming the NES (via) 6502 chips are so universally hacked on, it seems.
- Bumper Sticker Computer Science. More “epigrams”. Some dated, some excellent. (PDF, via)
- ParkyTowers thin clients. Turning very cheap, very small hardware into usable systems.
- The Odd History of the First Erotic Computer Game. See Softalk link below too. (via)
- Chart Brut: How the MS-Paint Graphics of Conspiracy Took Over the Web. (via)
- Grand St. short-run consumer tech for sale, very much like outgrow.me.
- A Plan 9 Newbie’s Guide. (PDF, via) Coraid uses/used Plan 9?
- The strange world of computer-generated novels. (via)
- Why my book can be downloaded for free.
- Smile, You’re Speaking EMOJI. (via)
- The Softalk Apple Project.
- Unix: tricks with history.
- Clip Art is dead. Awww.
- RowHammer. Ugh. (via)
Your unrelated link of the week: Cyriak’s Adult Swim 2014 compilation.