Off-the-beaten-path links this week. Strap in!
- The Superbook: Turn your smartphone into a laptop for $99. (via)
- Magnetic core memory reborn. (via)
- Countering Lawful Abuses of Digital Surveillance – Bunnie Huang.
- Why I’m Suing the US Government – also Bunnie Huang.
- Old, special phone numbers. I’ve used 800-444-4444 a lot when tracing lines.
- The Wanton Role-Playing (WaRP) and Mini-Six game systems. (via)
- Brief interviews with very small publishers. (via)
- Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names. (via)
- Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Phone Numbers. (via previous and here)
- A Practical Guide to (Correctly) Troubleshooting with Traceroute. A PDF, and infinitely useful. (via)
- I Can’t Believe I’m Saying This, But I Miss My CDs. (via I lost it, sorry)
- This used to be Ethernet. (via)
- turn up the hope (report from the HOPE convention from Ted Unangst)
- VimGIFs. (via)
- HyperTerm, an open-source in-browser terminal emulator. (via)
Your unrelated animated GIF of the week: Permanent Wink.