Get out your wallet! I encourage purchasing here.
- You should buy a SSD. Not necessarily news to you, but that article does a good job of summarizing why.
- On the other hand, SSD prices are already on their way up/availability is way down. Japan’s disasters are having a ripple effect through the high-tech supply chain. Either buy immediately or get ready to wait for a while…
- Introduction to Architecting Systems for Scale – you either don’t care, or find scaling questions immediately engaging. I am one of the latter, so here’s the link.
- I’ve been watching email@example.com for a little while. One thing I’ve discovered: there’s a lot of updates going on! Another thing that’s nice to see: DragonFlyupdates, including ones that help with our move to gcc 4.4.
- Aw, no more Kermit. (via) Not that I have a use for it at this point, but still: aww. I bet in about 10 years I’ll say the same thing about… gopher? Remember that? It’s not even supported in Firefox 4 now, which kinda makes me feel sad. And old.
- Server plans: Facebook vs. Google. (warning: Facebook article is somewhat giddy.)
- The infinite hard drive. (via I lost it, sorry)
Here’s an extra little thing: next time you’re dealing with dusty computer equipment, remember this picture:
That is what happens to an exposed RJ45 port after a few years in a salt mine (my employer). This was inside an enclosed, mostly-sealed structure, too.