Another ‘quiet’ week – lots of commit activity in the other BSDs, but not a lot to point at directly.
- PostgreSQL/FreeBSD performance and scalability on a 40-core machine. (PDF link, via) There’s comparison to DragonFly’s results, mentioned here before. DragonFly’s solution of shared page tables is dismissed because it would require work to do, though I think that’s a symptom of FreeBSD’s more complex locking model rather than complexity of what’s in DragonFly.
- pkgsrc-2014Q2 is out.
- Here’s some notes on the systemd compatibility GSoC/OpenBSD project.
- The FreeBSD ixgbe(4) driver understands RSS, and so does igb(4).
- FreeBSD GENERIC kernels can now use vt(4), the replacements for syscons.
- FreeBSD images can now boot UEFI.
- FreeBSD 9/10 users using the WITH_NEW_XORG option have a temporary binary ports repository to use, to handle the change in the drivers.