I am all over the map this week.
- UNIX Tutorial for Beginners. Also, UNIX Shell Scripting Tutorial. (via)
- Staticapps.org, a explanation of single-page web applications. The idea is good but the site itself is really just an ad for a service that does … single-page web application hosting. Comments on the original link source may be more useful.
- The Lazy Newb Pack for Dwarf Fortress. A good idea, but there’s actually a more recent Starter Pack. (via)
- I link to Cyriak videos from time to time; here’s a documentary about him and his work. (via scrubgenius)
- Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF’s. (via)
- Star Trek 1971 Text Game. Hey, I remember at least one of the variations of this! (via)
- Now even Microsoft Windows has a package manager. (via)
- Branching in code instead of in version control. I suspect this is one of those ideas that sounds good but turns out to eventually require reinventing the original setup, like NoSQL. (also via)
- “This is NOT real Git documentation!” Frighteningly real. (via)
- Heartbleed should bleed x.509 to death. (also via)
- Dudley Buck’s Forgotten Cryotron Computer. (via)
Your unrelated animated image of the week: a seal with hiccups.